November 4th, 2008

Lines, machine problems plaguing Indiana county near Chicago

(CNN) – Voting machine problems and some delays are reported in Lake County, Indiana, just across the state line from Chicago.

Damian Rico, communications director for the city of East Chicago, Indiana, said at one precinct in Riley Park, two machines were down for about 15 minutes when the polling place opened. Both machines are up and running now.

County election director Sally La Sota was not aware of any major problems, other than long lines.

The county is expected to vote heavily for Democrat Barack Obama. There is a significant black population and the county is just southeast of Obama's hometown of Chicago. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Lake County has a 26% black population, 13.9% Hispanic population.

Statewide, officials say there are no significant problems. Jim Gavin, communications director for the Indiana Secretary of State, said there were long lines statewide but no issues that he was aware of.

Filed under: Indiana • Voter Problems
  1. Anonymous

George W Bush doesn't have any power. I am going to devote my life so that Jeb Bush never becomes president.

November 4, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  2. Don

Hey, sounds like another reason to riot. Oh I forgot George Bush is doing all this.

November 4, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  3. Anonymous

I am devoting the rest of my like to making sure Jeb Bush doesn't ever become president. I am doing God's work. I can't allow a sleazy sinning man be president of my country.

November 4, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  4. anonymous

I am devoting the rest of my life doing God's work by preventing Jeb Bush by becoming president. I can't allow a sleazy man like Jeb to destroy and rape my country.

November 4, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  5. Don_N

"The county is expected to vote heavily for Democrat Barack Obama."

Big surprise that a Republican state has problems in their only heavily Democratic region.

In Florida, the 6 hour lines are in heavily Democratic areas.

It's so sad when parties on either side will stick it to the voter so they can win.

November 4, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  6. dwayne1523@yahoo.com

I smell '00 and '04. Well it sure looks like it. I guess that just about narrows it down to '08.

November 4, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  7. amy

The comments from the the Obama supporters are exactly the reason why I didn't vote for Obama. They are cocky and snide and flat out rude. I don't want my daughter thinking its ok to abort a child or think its right for a man to marry a man. The bold rudeness and the disregard to comment on real fundamental issues is blowing my mind. Put your brain into this, Don't make schoolyard fight type comments on a public forum. It makes you look like fools. As far as the comment earlier about Martin Luther King... He was a republican. Learn some history THEN comment on what you know. These forums are a waste and gives me a terrible outlook on CNN.

November 4, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  8. Dixie AZ

Interferring with voters such as robo calls telling voters to vote 11/5 should be charged with treason.

November 4, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  9. Jackie in Dallas

Less bile, more belief, people.

Both Democrats and Republicans are responsible for the shape the country is in. Even the Independents like me. We should take the time and effort after this election is over to reform the entire system, including rethinking and redebating the use/need for a College of Electors. We need a consistent, fair, and accountable method of voting. We need a national method of registration so that no matter where you are in the world, if you are a registered American voter, you can vote and know that your vote counts! Every election, the same problems show up, every year elected officials say that they are prepared, and every election we see that they are not.

EVERY VOTE COUNTS. EVERY CITIZEN COUNTS. EVERY ELECTION COUNTS. No more apathetic voters, no more voter turnouts less that 50%, and zero tolerance for officials who use their position to subvert the votes of others to their own cause, or turn legitimate voters away. I am proudly wearing my "WE THE PEOPLE" pin today, to remind me and to remind others that WE are the government, we are the bosses of those in Washington, our state capitals and our local officals.

I do not ask you to vote for who I voted for, I ask you to vote for who you are convinced will do the best job…and if they don't, vote them out the next election! One of the most positives things about this election is that is has re-energized a lot of voters into caring again.

I'm a 58-year old white working woman who is also a Vietnam era vet. Except for a couple of local elections and one midterm election, I have voted every election since I was eligible. My father, my friends, the sons of my friends and a lot of total strangers have fought for, and some died for, our rights, including to vote. Don't let their sacrifice be forgotten or in vain.

November 4, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  10. karen raleigh

Why is it you dont have to show id when you vote here??This must be checked.

November 4, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  11. karen raleigh

they are not asking for id in raleigh.

November 4, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  12. Deb, IN

Just voted for John McCain!!!!! I know he will win Indiana unless there is voter fraud in Lake County.......I'll be watching to see how quick their votes come in tonight.

Vote for the HERO!!!!!

November 4, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  13. milo

"Does is even matter if the people in IL Vote?"

Do people even read? This story is about INDIANA, one of the few true tossup states this year.

Enjoy your new president!

November 4, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  14. Juan Grain

Fix-It!
    Just- Fits-It!

November 4, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  15. Tony

I walked into the wrong room when I went to my polling station. Should I report delays too? Two machines were down, seriously, that's it. Jeez, get in line and wait your friggin' turn already.

November 4, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  16. fred in chicago

Many of us remember that less than 40 years ago the world watched as a large group of people besieged the Pentagon with the shout of "The whole world is watching..." Today the whole world is watching but with an entirely different reason..

November 4, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  17. ali fl

plain old rigging like mugabe. The republican administration wants to win at all cost.

November 4, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  18. Indiana Ed

The power also went out in Hammond near East Chicago. The polls were down for two hours! But were back and ready to vote for Barack!

November 4, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  19. Hoosier

Obama all the way in Indiana!!!

November 4, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  20. Robin

I think that more people are voting than ever before primarily because of the Republican dirty tricks. They stole the last 2 elections and this time EVERYONE, Democrats and Republicans, are making sure they don't steal this one. So, no matter what tricks they come up with the American people are determined and they are trying to show the Republicans that they can't get away with stealing elections. Hopefully WE THE PEOPLE will be heard and Barack Obama will win.

November 4, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |