November 4th, 2008

Kerry: 'Tonight new dreams are born'

John Kerry watched election returns.
John Kerry watched election returns.

(CNN)– Sen. John Kerry released the following statement in response to Sen. Barack Obama's victory:

"Tonight we elected a President who has inspired a majority of Americans with his vision and policies, a man who is principally a leader for these times who happens to also be African American; and because of America’s stunning ability to move on and transform, to write a new chapter of our history, Barack Obama will be President during the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights movement and the 150th anniversary of the Civil War.

"Tonight there are tears of joy and disbelief in small rural communities and inner cities, where for too long, some weren’t sure anything was really possible for them.

"Tonight new dreams are born and old truths are affirmed. Tonight we enter a new America, the best America, the America of our highest hopes."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Darel

Change is happening now in this country. America has spoken, and its time to roll up our sleeves, and get to work.Obama is our new President, and we need to unite to fix our problems. As great a vision as he has, he cannot do this alone! Stop the bickering and fighting, and let's get to work.We tried it the GOP way, and it didn't work. Its OUR COUNTRY, and we need to support our new President to help restore our country to greatness!

November 5, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  2. al chapman

God Bless you John Kerry, you won without winning!!! You are a great American....do not let anyone say otherwise and you elected the 44th President of the United States.

I will always be thankful that you gave us Barack Obama and you came so close!!!!

Bless you, You great American!!!

November 5, 2008 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  3. Independent FL voter

I agree with Leo.

I'm one of those white, Catholic, former Republican voters who backed Obama, and I'm glad I did.

Welcome to the revolution.

November 5, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  4. JANE TAYLOR EASTWOOD

FROM CANADA - I AM THRILLED!!

November 5, 2008 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  5. PO

Congratulations to the Americans for a job well done! God Bless Obama! God bless USA

November 5, 2008 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  6. Chris

I let my 7 year old stay up until we found out the results. I tucked him in and he said after witnessing his mother overwhelmed w/ happy tears. "Is this going to make tomorrow very different? Will my school change? What is going to happen b/c of this election. I don't know if I like change." I said to him... "this is a good change. Things are going to get better." He smiled as I tucked him in. I am so proud of my country!

November 5, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  7. Anonymous

"Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." Today is only the beginning, let's ALL work together. May God bless and protect our President-elect, Barack Obama and his beautiful family.

November 5, 2008 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  8. P. Gordor

God Bless America! and God Bless President Barack Obama!

November 5, 2008 02:04 am at 2:04 am |
  9. Elizabeth

Thank you, Sen. Kerry – for your statement and for your early, and important, support for the man who is now our President-Elect. Today, finally, I can put aside my continuing regret about your loss four years ago, and I hope that you can feel some solace also. You have been a good leader for our party and our country and I know you will be a critical part of the new administration, either directly or as a leader in the Senate. Thank you.

November 5, 2008 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  10. Angry Citizen

Senator John Kerry- thank you for your service and for your hard work in helping to elect Obama.

November 5, 2008 02:30 am at 2:30 am |
  11. Cee

Thanks, Senator Kerry for choosing Obama to be the keynote speaker in 2004. That help enormously to get onto the national stage and eventually propelled him towards today's victory.

November 5, 2008 02:50 am at 2:50 am |
  12. Sohrab

Mr. Obama is a catalyst of Change, Hope to the Future,new kind of leadership he can bring to the world where people hate each other,I pray for his grandmother who put off a new car because of Obama and its my absolute honor to the American people who put their belief in Obama. Obama's faith in himself made HIM (history in the making). In the face of adversaries he wasn't a crybaby.The most energetic ,intellecual President Barack Obama.

November 5, 2008 03:08 am at 3:08 am |
  13. Sholbo

Thank you Sen Kerry and congrats on your own re-election.I want you to know that we can't afford to lose you to the Sec. of State position as it will amounts to minus one Dem.Sen. from congress.Pls stay in the congress to help BO/JB 08.

November 5, 2008 03:19 am at 3:19 am |
  14. Dori in AZ

HERE, IN ARIZONA ... WE ARE STILL UP AND CELEBRATING!

THANK GOD FOR PRESIDENT-ELECT BARACK H. OBAMA!!!!! The MAJORITY of us have come together to work toward change. A majority of the popular vote AND twice as many of Electoral College votes than McCain. As President Obama and Vice President Biden move forward, I imagine that there will be more people who open up and begin working along with the rest of us to make our country strong and good for all its citizens.

Those who choose to continue to live in their narrow worlds of fear and hate are welcome to them. But, for most of the people in the U.S., we are more than willing to make sacrifices, be hopeful, and work toward peace and justice for all.

November 5, 2008 04:22 am at 4:22 am |
  15. Verna C.

Senator Kerry, Thank you for introducing Barack Obama to our nation four years ago. As sad as I was after the 2004 election results, I am that much and more elated tonight! I believe everything happens for a reason, and perhaps we lost four years ago so that this could happen now. Thank you for your continued service to our country. You are a true American hero, and we owe you...BIG TIME...for your part in helping us reclaim our country and our future.

November 5, 2008 05:00 am at 5:00 am |
  16. rixhard uting

I'm so pround of Barack Obama to become history and I'm very happy he doing hard work and let we can change and get better future . Let god bless our county. Good job Mr Barack Obama

November 5, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |