November 4th, 2008

Kennedy: 'proud' to call Obama 'my President'

(CNN)– Sen. Ted Kennedy released the following statement in response to Sen. Barack Obama's victory Tuesday night:

“Today, Americans spoke loud and clear and demanded change by electing Barack Obama as our next President. They understood his vision of a fairer and more just America and embraced it. They heard his call for a new generation of Americans to participate in government and were inspired. They believed that change is possible and voted to be part of America’s future.

“Barack Obama is my friend and tonight, I’m very proud to call him my President. I look forward to working with him and Joe Biden on the many challenges facing our country here at home and around the world.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Ted Kennedy
  1. Stephen R

What did you expect? Half his brain is gone. However, he still has more brain cells than the other kool aid drinkers. Not much help. eh?

November 4, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  2. Dr. Lynda Carter

Sen. Kennedy,
    I am so glad you are able to see this. I never thought I would see an African American elected to the highest office in the land during my lifetime. I am glad I was so wrong.
    God bless you and your family, and God bless America. We are now on the right path to a better America.

November 4, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  3. a realist

You know I am curious if all the dead came out and voted for Obama again the same way they did in his race against Hilliary... won't matter too long anyway there are WAY too many crazys in this country just wait till he tries that gun control bs he tried back home... he will learn gun control is using both hands to aim... hello Mr Kenedy version 2... err I mean Oboma lol

November 4, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  4. My State Is Blue! Yours Can Be Too!

Congrats to President-Elect Obama and the Senator from my home state Vice-President Elect Biden.
    Way to go!
    We can and we did.
    Let's keep working.

November 4, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  5. I have to purge now

Hurry up and die Kennedy. Screw the world and now I get to look forward to my money supporting illegals and Katrina victims who still don't want to work. What a great day for our country to go down the toilet.

November 4, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  6. Jason

This so called President you guys elected is very scary. Get ready to pay higher taxes and loose your job. But wait this Obama idiot will take care of all us. Thats right he will pay for everything!!! He will take your money and "spread the wealth around." Great I could some extra money.

November 4, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  7. Purple Alaska

Amen. Be well Sen. Kennedy. We love and miss you...and are excited about this historic moment in the history of this nation!

November 4, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  8. Kris

Thank you Senator Kennedy!

You rock!!!

November 4, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  9. Joe the Plumber

Celine stay in Ottawa. Stay out of U.S. politics you dumb Canuck.

November 5, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  10. melvin mosley

Tonight was a historical night for all American's and for everyone around the world. I would like to say Congradulation to former Senator Barack Obama, and Senator Joe Biden. May God be with you and your family. I look back and tell my children that any child, can be anything they want to be without fear or physical harm. Thank you for allowing this message to be sent to CNN, and it's staff, reporters who have worked so hard to make this night a dream come true for all american's old, and young alike. The people have spoken for change in america now and for ever. God speed to all. And now we must pray for the safety of President elect Barack Obama, and Joe Biden and to all who will be working for change....

November 5, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  11. Winnie Hussein.... in Montana

God bless you, Sen. Kennedy for your lifetime of service and the sacrifices you and your family made for this country.

November 5, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  12. mms

I'M PROUD TO SAY HE'S MY PRESIDENT TO!

November 5, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  13. B Y Sale

Congratulation,Obama for been the first black American President. Godbless & protect you.

November 5, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  14. Slash

Come back soon, Ted.

November 5, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  15. Tom

It is time for you to retire. I lost respect for you when you endorsed Obama in the primary.

November 5, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  16. E Harris

I am overwhelmed with pride and a desire to work for my country, because voiting has not always been a priviledge in my life for.

I think it is now appropriate for Neal Boark to issue a formal apology for his comments about President Obama going to Hawaii to change is birth certificate and further more get off the air and stop spreading division and hate or face the fact this is a diverse nation built by the sweat of all its citizentry.

November 5, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  17. Joe Not the Plumber

Shut up Ted, you're an idiot.

November 5, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  18. regina w

today is one of the greatest moments in american history!!!!! A century of a nation in turmoil due to racism has finally come to an end OBAMA YOU THE MAN You got my vote and now have my full faith that change for the better is now in hand GOD BLESS YOU and may you be able to do all of the great things for our country you invision I believe in u obama YAY wow first time i ever voted at twenty six and you are my president

November 5, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  19. regina w

i bet he gets loving from the new first lady that blows his mind lol wink wink

November 5, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |