November 4th, 2008

Last GOP House Seat in NYC Falls to Dems

NEW YORK (CNN) - The New York House seat in District 13 was the last Republican seat in New York City. It will switch into the Democratic column.

Democrat Mike McMahon, a lawyer and City Council member for the past eight years, has defeated Republican Robert Straniere.

The race is to replace Republican Congressman Vito Fossella. In May, he was pulled over in Alexandria, Virginia, and accused of drunken driving. Fossella later admitted having an affair and fathering a child out of wedlock.

Amid the scandal, Fossella decided against seeking re-election.

McMahon had been endorsed by Republican-turned-independent New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Filed under: 2008 Election • New York
  1. vote! OBAMA-BIDEN NOV.4th

GREAT!

November 4, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  2. Matt

Are the 60 seats still up for grabs?

November 4, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  3. Peter (CA)

The Republican was found to have a second family in Virginia. Yet, he considered running for re-election. Wow!

November 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  4. Bob Indianapolis, IN

REPTILICANS! THEY'LL ALL BURN!

November 4, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  5. Curts Evans

Although I am a Democrat I must say that Senator McCain gave the best speech of his campaign, with that speech he has my respect. This race to me was never about race but as a nation we the people want change. May God bless America and God bless our next President of the United States Barack Obama.

November 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  6. CLINTON

OBAMA CHANGED MANY THINGS

WILL IT BE FOR WORST OR BETTER?

WILL SEE, THIS GAME IS JUST STARTING

November 5, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  7. Elizabeth

Wow .... that was really wonderful news! I have been following this election campaign even though I am not an american. I am relieved and really hopeful that US will now be able to make a turnaround in all its unpopular policies, end the wars which have been caused so many heartaches, pain and sufferings, turn around the world's current financial crisis, and work towards peace ... God bless America and congratulations to Barack Obama ... wish I can have the opportunity to congratulate in person!

November 5, 2008 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  8. Darrell & Janet Myles TEXAS

It has been a monumental and HISTORIC event unveiling, and this country has rose up to indeed live out the true meaning of it's creed. Both the founding fathers and Dr. King would be proud. I was one of those little kids that was told that when you grow up, "You can be anything you want to be in this country, if you applied yourself". Tonight... and in my lifetime, we see in every community , in every state of the union, history being made with a political hopful that vows to come help us, the little people. Whether Rep. or Dem. , Americans ALL . That Hope was, and is in our Mr. OBAMA. I Salute this country and this process. From Grayson County, Sherman , TX to the Alamo, to Stone Mtn. GA., to Wash D.C. "YES WE DID" I hope and pray it isn't marred by hatred and violence.......

November 5, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  9. Rob indetroit

its over for Sen Leiberman.

November 5, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |