November 4th, 2008

Man asked to leave Philly polling place

Voters checked in a Philadelphia polling place Tuesday.
Voters checked in a Philadelphia polling place Tuesday.

(CNN) - A man wearing what appeared to be a black outfit with a beret and holding a nightstick was asked by police to leave a polling location in Philadelphia Tuesday, according to Philadelphia County Board of Elections Supervisor, Bill Rubin.

Rubin says the man left without incident. He says another man wearing similar attire had a poll watcher certificate and was allowed to remain at the polling site at 1221 Fairmont Avenue.

A video posted on Youtube, by electionjournal.org, shows two men standing several feet in front of the entrance to Guild House West, the polling location for the 4th Division of Ward 14 in Philadelphia. The cameraman in the video asks a man with a nightstick who he's with and the man responds, "I'm security." The cameraman later says "I think it might be a little bit intimidating that you have a stick in your hand."

Rubin says local election rules state a person cannot be within 10 to 15 feet of the entrance to a polling place unless that person is voting, is a poll worker, or has a poll watcher certificate.

Rubin says anyone practicing voter intimidation outside that 10 to 15 foot perimeter could pose a public safety issue and would be handled by the police.

Cathie Abookire, a spokewoman for the Philadelphia District Attorney's office, says the office is not investigating the matter, calling it a "non-incident." Abookire says, "We have had no complaints from any voters that they have been intimidated."

Filed under: Pennsylvania • Voter Problems
  1. Louis in MN

We don't know if they belong to the Panthers, but one thing I do know for sure is that if a member of the Klan showed up in their garb, it would be a huge problem. Unfortunately, organizations like the Panthers and NAACP has masked separatism as equal rights. I'm all for equal rights, but let's keep some equality in there. It's really just separatism. Very sad.

November 4, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  2. kevin

Its pretty sad that it took these two idiots to finally bring out the Republicans racist ideology.
    OBAMA 08

November 4, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  3. elvera

My greatest fear is that McCain campaign will commit another crime and will still the election. I am so nervous that I cannot even watch TV.
    We do not need a ‘fighter’, we need a leader.
    How come so many McCain/Palin supporters did not realize that the entire McCain/Palin campaign is a scam? Fake maverick – McCain; fake reformer – Palin; even fake plumber – Joe (actually, he is Joe the Con Artist). McCain is anti-intellectual, erratic, arrogant, and delusional. And Palin…? How in the world she was elected a governor? She is a pathetic liar and a blockhead!
    Elvera in Texas

November 4, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  4. Michael

Time for people to think. McCain 08

November 4, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  5. War Eagle 0222

Philadelphia is a joke. The Democrats there have made vote fraud and voter intimidation a fine art. How many times have do we hear the Democrats talk about voter suppression from Republicans and yet they never, ever, provide any evidence of it. Now we have video evidence of Democrat voter suppression and the Dems are just fine with that because it helps Obamessiah. By the way, didn't hear any Republicans saying there will be riots if McCain loses, but maybe we need to look into that.

November 4, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  6. Obama/Biden

To
    30 YEAR OLD REPUBLICAN MOM

What do you have to say for such statements from your Republican party...this is the problem, McCain and Palin had created such a division....remember, when one finger is being pointed at us, the other "4" is pointing back at YOU

47yo male for McCain November 4th, 2008 4:16 pm ET

This is clearly a member of the black panthers. This is the way blacks function. They know no better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  7. big poppy

$250,000 ?
    Because I have a conscience and I'm smart enough to spend my own money and don't need some corrupt politician to spend it for me and I don't feel I'm ENTITLED to anything just because I was born in this country and I choose to work for what I get...that's why I'm a Republican.

November 4, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  8. anonymous one

If you were looking at Fox news, you would see the video of this very person intimidating potential voters. CNN probably has a copy of the video, but refuse to show it because the socialist may realize what they are voting for. I suppose he will be a member of Obama's new US police force he is gonna fund. KGB

United Socialist of North America