November 4th, 2008

McCain aides see 'no path to victory'

(CNN) – Two senior aides to John McCain see "no path to victory," given the night's results so far.

The two advisors, who were crunching numbers for the Republican contender, were responding to a question via e-mail from CNN's Dana Bash, who has been covering the McCain campaign.

The aides asked not to named because the campaign is not commenting on internal discussions.

Three states that went Republican in 2004 have gone for Democrat Barack Obama, according to CNN projections - Iowa, New Mexico and Ohio.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Alan Taylor

I just hope and pray whoever eventually wins tonight that they will put God first and put this country back on track to be a God fearing nation that it started out to be in 1776. Otherwise we will be heading down a road to further decline and failure. No president democrat or republican can fix the economy. In a capitalist system the job creators (small business) eventually straightens out the economy not the politicians. However that does not keep them from promising to fix everything if elected.

November 4, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  2. anonymous

im neither white nor black but i have seen one thing in this country of ours the only color issue is within the races who consider themselves minorities. look around there are no more minorities in this country. there are no more segregation it is not harder for one race over the other. each race has to work equally hard for what they want.
    why do some people feel so injusticed.

i feel bad for the military people and the ones who have lost someone in iraq whether we agreed with the war or not, what did they die for now? nothing. another vietnam in the making, another gulf war. we went in for victory, and coming out with nothing. the servicemen and women are the real victims here.

November 4, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  3. wjs

I guess my first comment is still 'awaiting moderation'! This is going to be the worst thing to happen to this Country!

November 4, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  4. sika

even though we are halfway across the atlantic i want to say to all americans for being so brave to make the world proud of them once again!!.me and my family,friends,colleagues,neighbours etc doff our hats to tha OBAMA CAMP. enjoy your victory and remember we are all praying for you.

November 4, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  5. wcb

God is in control always whoever wakes up as new prez on Nov 5th. Be kind to each other. Pointing fingers, placing blame & bragging tend to come back in one's face. What comes around goes around. Let respect be our personal goal

November 4, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  6. Mike

"I will thank God when Obama wins because I won't have my Medicare cut and Social Security money that I worked for all my life. . . ."

Dearest Helena (that's my Mom's name, by the way):

I think you might want to take a very close look at both the current and near-future status of both the Medicare and the Social Security funds. I think you might be in for a bit of a shock.

Sorry.

November 4, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  7. ron fields

I did not beleave we, as a nation, could reach the point of picking substance over fear and smears. America has proven her greatness!!

Congrats President Elect Obama

November 4, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  8. Neil

I agree that Bush made some bad calls....look at his approval rating...but we just elected someone with Zero experience. Shall I repeat "ZERO experience"...All Obama did was say smooth things and catch phrases and buzz words...what does he really stand for? He is a politician...with virtually no record...they all are politicians.... they say what you want to hear...Obama was just better than McCain at talking the talk... my question is can America afford the mistakes if he can't walk the walk???

November 4, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  9. joe the canadian

As a Canadian, I was shocked when Bush was elected, then re-elected again in spite of his shortcomings (to put it nicely).

I would be even more shocked to see the same mistake repeated with McCain/Palin. It seems McCain cannot even take the time to thoughtfully select a good, or even competent running mate. I am not an Obama supporter, but I could never get behind McCain's clear lack of good judgement.

I think Obama is the lesser of two evils though, so hopefully he turns out to be a good president..

November 4, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  10. GIVE PEACE A CHANCE, VOTE A STRAIGHT DEMOCRATIC TICKET!

McCrypt, you may want to call "That One" Mr. President next January!!!

November 4, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  11. shannon brown.

you know its funny everyone said this election was not about race yet race seems to be everyones main point to focus on. i hope, your sake and this country's sake, you voted for obama based off of more then the fact he is a black man. there are plenty of black men more qualified to run this country, more black men and woman who have a better track record.

November 4, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  12. zurvi

Congratulations!! President Obama & Biden.
    Congratulations too!!! – America.

You have proved to the world as a people that majority still believe in decent political campaigns and have shunned the deceitful-negative campaign by McCain/Palin

Its a sigh of relief for the REST of the WORLD...that OBAMA is the next US President.

November 4, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  13. oshomah Peter,NIGERIA

Am happy for America for voting everybody's own. Obama is in touch and an INTERCONTINENTAL figure. He is approved by God and man. The curcumstances that led to his victory are self evident and he didn't create them. This is the time for an opportuned African to rule the world. America will enjoy wealth and good name and great reputation in the eyes of all. Obama enjoys goodwill from his people and he will not fail because he will soon be announced as the President of God's Own Country. We are praying for him. He will not fail.

November 4, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  14. ohene

Obamas victory is not only historic but the manisfetation of greater things to happen to the greatest country in the world.We the AMERICANS now have the responsibily to put our RACE behind and help president obama bring back Gods own country to where it truely belongs just like collen powell said our strength lies in our diversity

November 4, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  15. Socialist Guy

Three cheers for the Obama Victory! Its about time we had a socialist president. He is the man! Power to the people! Long live Che Guevera! Salute Pres. Fidel! Karl Marx, if he were alive today, would be excited!

November 4, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  16. Carol

McCain shot himself in the foot when he picked Palin for his running mate. Although I thought I might vote Republican in the beginning, that all changed when he picked her. America is too smart to vote for a pretty face that does great on SNL but knows nothing about running a country. I hope that eveyone listens to what McCain had to say in his speech tonight. It shows that he really understands America. It's time we work together and bring our great country back.

November 4, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  17. oshomah Peter,NIGERIA

Again let me quickly remind those who are not in favour of Obama that at least they can not deny the fact that Obama knows those who can make things happen;he has the right guyies around him and knows who can fix what. That is commendable and that is a good sign of Administrative accumen. At least Powel knows that. Talk about expert approval of a good Administrator to effect the change we need at this time in the world. He is not just THE ONE,he is the CHOSEN ONE.

November 4, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  18. praying

McCain you are a true American Hero and should have been our President! Life is full of signs of the times and this is just another big one that the bible speaks of! Let us not forget where we come from and what this great country was founded on! McCain, you are so loved and God be with you and our nation!

November 5, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  19. nie

As a caribbean person following the news daY in day out, I feel so aparT of this moment and I'm so proud of Americans and thE choice they made puTting race aside and focusing on the real issues

What happens tonight does not just affèct the caribbean but the enTire world!

Congratulations Obama, I'm reallÿ pRoud righT now!

November 5, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |