November 4th, 2008

McCain aides see 'no path to victory'

(CNN) – Two senior aides to John McCain see "no path to victory," given the night's results so far.

The two advisors, who were crunching numbers for the Republican contender, were responding to a question via e-mail from CNN's Dana Bash, who has been covering the McCain campaign.

The aides asked not to named because the campaign is not commenting on internal discussions.

Three states that went Republican in 2004 have gone for Democrat Barack Obama, according to CNN projections - Iowa, New Mexico and Ohio.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Llisa

OBAMA!! OBAMA!!!

Finally finished with "the mummy and the dummy"!!!

The whole world is watching us pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off....

November 4, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  2. paul

I voted for John McCain because he's a true american.I'm a registered dem. I voted for McCain for what he went thru in his war time....a TRUE HERO.It's to bad for him he got caught up in the bush mess. I believed him that he could have cleaned up the mess in washington that bush created. I just hope for once that Obama sticks to ALL the wonderful promises he made.......

November 4, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  3. Happy in Kentucky

Go Obama! Wake up Florida count em up. c'mon 61st seat!

November 4, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  4. Prop Trader

Obama wins, but his supporters on this site clearly lack personal integrity based on the comments I have read. Do you realize that the transfer of wealth does not create wealth? That equality of economic opportunity does not mean equality of economic status?

November 4, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  5. Snowblind

A new day is here. Way to go President-Elect Obama.

Can someone send Sarah Palin home now?

November 4, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  6. Conservative

It is sad that people still like to blame Bush, even though he has limited power. Thank your congress. They have the real power. They are looking out for what is best for you.

November 4, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  7. Ann

Americans have been fooled into thinking that they will make history by electing another man as President of the United States. Men have been elected President since this country was founded so that will not represent change. If the McCain/Palin ticket wins that will represent real change because a woman has never served as Vice President or President of the United States.

November 4, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  8. Fantabulous SC

Congrats OBAMA !!!! I know all of you repubs. R having a hissie-fit to bad...McCain was a terrible choice you idiots...negative ads...YEA GET A CLUE!!! DIRTY POLITICS NEVER PREVAIL!

November 4, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  9. Certainly not mainstream

Brittany Glenn – sounds like you're making excuses already.

November 4, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  10. J Schuh

pscott is right on the money. That "tax and spend" line really bothers me. Somehow Bush and the Rep's think it is fiscally responsible to fight an incredibly costly war and still cut taxes. Reagan doubled the national debt while in office and now Bush has done even worse, yet we have to hear about Dem's taxing and spending. Blah, blah blah.

November 4, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  11. Mark

As a republican I can accept and support Obama as President. The side show will be watching the democratic Congress, house of reps and president become fully accountable without obstruction. Good luck and we will all re-evaluate in four years if the revolution is real or just symantics. Personally I hope that it is R E A L C H A N G E !

November 4, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  12. alex

congradulations our beloved president Barack Obama

November 4, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  13. ArsenalStation

Even the Republicans best efforts at election fraud couldn't overcome this margin. It's time now to get down to business reversing every last bit of the last 8 years. Goodbye tax cuts, doomsday climate policy, cowboy diplomacy, etc... This is unbelievable!!!

November 4, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  14. Loki

Enjoy the moment, enjoy the illusion. People will eventually be sorry. Obama is not presenting who he really is, he is not telling the truth, he is not a man of peace....

November 4, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  15. Carl in Virginia Beach

WOW! I've become one victim of someone stealing my Obama/Biden sign but after 2:30 minutes of standing in the rain to vote at 5:30am we showed that no one can steal this one this election. I voted for Bush 8 years ago. He fooled America. He was so terrible, Barack may never have seen this day! It's still OJT and he's gonna need prayer like every other President!

November 4, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  16. Allen Watts

Barabara of NC is the typical angry liberal who in victory can not be gracious to one of America's heroes. One idiot mentioned a police state...well the only candidate that wants a civilian military is the Marxist you just elected. Liberals are certain they won tonights election but America lost big time. No more freedom of speech (ie) fairness doctrine, no more private votes to determine if your company is going to be unionized(ie) HR800. Now who all voted under the Democratic tent? well let's see...the United States communist Party, Lewis Farrakhan/marxist, terrorist William Ayers,Reverend wright,also Obama is supported by Hamas, Libya and a host of other Islamic radicals...and America won, How???

November 4, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  17. Budiola

I concur that Obama is the better man to lead the US into the next era and that electing a black man will restore faith here in the US, inspire hope, and restore the reputation of the US as a world leader (check out BBC.com, CBC.ca, Australian national news, and every major European and Asian country's media web site for leading/breaking news on the election here in the US). I am thrilled that MLK, Medgar Evers and the rest of the civil rights folks are dancing in heaven with this news!

I also have respect for Mr. McCain for his idealism, his pragmatism, his ceaseless dedication. His error – or rather, that he foolishly trusted the frat-boy, monochromatic, myopic, idiot GOP advisors – was to engage Palin as his running mate. I'm sure this election will be studied for years and years; and that eventually, someone in their infinite wisdom will acknowledge Palin as the liabilty she really is and for causing McCain to lose the election ( Sarah – you are a hillbilly, socially retarded, and intellectually stunted idiot. Oh – and Sarah – maybe you want to actually read a newspaper beyond the Anchorage Daily News (oh wait – I don't think you even mentioned that to Ms. Kouric! Oh wait – can you read??) so that you will be better prepared to deal with those gosh darn "gotcha" liberal media getcha again, eh? Oh and Sarah? You don't speak for all women, nor do you speak for anyone beyond the bumblehole borders of metro Wasila. I mean, really – give us a break!! Stick to hockey, soccer and being a folksy pain in the butt away from the rest of the world. You SUCK! and hey hey hey ... good byeeeeeeeeeee!

November 4, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  18. Dee Ward

THANK GOD!!!! Know maybe we can get over the color issues in America. We all have a little bit of color in our blood. I pray that Obama do a great job as president. Maybe people will look at him as a great American leader instead of the first black President. IN GOD WE TRUST forever.

November 4, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  19. Helena

I will thank God when Obama wins because I won't have my Medicare cut and Social Security money that I worked for all my life invested on Wall Street. I'll be able to look forward to the future of all of my grandchildren getting a college education and everyone having health insurance. Members of my family that have health insurance through their company or employer won't have to pay income tax on their benefit and their monthly cost will be less with Obama in office. I just hope and pray that we will all wake up tomorrow singing,"What a wonderful world".

November 4, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  20. Neil

What happened to the country I grew up in? I am in my early 30’s and this is a sad day for America…. I am sad to say that Obama was elected by people my age and younger who can’t figure out how which way is up and focus more on their virtual reality than what really matters. They can’t get themselves out of credit card debt for lack of discipline for buying non essential things. They can’t see the reality of the global economy except what directly affects them. Such a sad “me oriented” society…

I hope Obama is everything you want…only time will tell how he works his campaign promises into reality. Talk is cheap – so beyond all the well crafted speeches and smooth talking words let’s all hope he doesn’t take this country down hill and if he does then you get what you deserve. After all – he was put in power by an American majority of people who can’t see beyond their own nose…. Lord help us!

November 4, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  21. Ken in NC

Tonight means many things to a lot of people and I am one of them but one of the most meaningful things to me is that this Obama win will signal the end of Barracuda Barbie for a few years. I will no longer have to endure the vile hate spewed from her mouth and all the "Winky Blinky" "Youbetcha"s" form that Moose hunter. Now she can go back to the frozen tundra of Alaska and fly around the state watching the First Dude winning snow machine races.

November 4, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  22. FLA DOCTOR

To everyone who says "America will get what it deserves" – give me a break. Wake up and smell the coffee that Bush and the republicans have ALREADY run the country into the ground. Are you serious? Were you seriously unaware of that fact?

Obama will turn things around. There are no losers here, we all won this time, its just that 49% of people don't realize that yet.

November 4, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  23. Fed Up

How many people tonight have said they are NOW proud or happy with the USA because we possibly elected a Black Man? I have absolutely no problem that a black man may be elected I have a problem that so many people see that as THE issue. If you are happy that Obama may be elected be happy because of WHO he is and WHAT he will do, not BECAUSE he is black. That honestly has nothing to do with if he is or is not good for this country, how he will lead the country or his policy. It is like saying when Kennedy was elected, " I am so proud to be an America because they elected a Catholic", or "I am proud of America because they elected a Catholic". It is ridiculous a man should be based on his merit and what he will do for the country. Race, age, sex or religion should have nothing to do with it and as long as people on either side make it an issue their will be racism.

November 4, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  24. Bruno

McCain or Obama, two fine Americans and the winner deserves our support. We've heard enough name calling throughout the prelims and now the finals. McCain's choice for VP a big mistake

November 4, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  25. Stephen

Hey Anonymous at 10:42

Maybe fighting is not the answer?

November 4, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |