November 4th, 2008

McCain aides see 'no path to victory'

(CNN) – Two senior aides to John McCain see "no path to victory," given the night's results so far.

The two advisors, who were crunching numbers for the Republican contender, were responding to a question via e-mail from CNN's Dana Bash, who has been covering the McCain campaign.

The aides asked not to named because the campaign is not commenting on internal discussions.

Three states that went Republican in 2004 have gone for Democrat Barack Obama, according to CNN projections - Iowa, New Mexico and Ohio.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Nick Turner

McCain had to be a "Maverick" and choose Palin... and it cost him the race.

November 4, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  2. No Hillary = No Obama

Obama won because of sexism – and he never opened his mouth to stop it, Karma comes with this Presidency.

November 4, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  3. US Marine 2 tours in iraq and one in afghanistan

change isn't always a good thing....People always say how Barack is going to bring our boys home...what you don't know is that all he is going to do is move us to afghanistan. His presence is viewed as weak here in the middle east, (believe me, I am here and talk to the locals) and he empowers terrorists with his inexpierience

November 4, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  4. Chloe

WAY TO GO OBAMA/BIDEN!!!!!!!!!!! TOGETHER WE TRUST YOU TO BRING OUR COUNTRY TOGETHER AND TURN THINGS AROUND!!

CONGRATS OBAMA/BIDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  5. ohene

Obamas victory is not only historic but the manisfetation of greater things to happen to the greatest country in the world.We the AMERICANS now have the responsibily to put our RACE behind and help president obama bring back Gods own country to where it truely belongs just like said our strength lies in our diversity

November 4, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  6. Brittany

You guys have made the worst mistake this country has ever seen. By electing Obama, you have let corruption enter the White House doors on a pedestal. I am very disappointed in every American that voted for Obama. Obviously they must want higher taxes, lose their jobs from these higher taxes, and increase spending by nearly a trillion dollars.

November 4, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  7. db.in.tx

God have mercy on us all.

November 4, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  8. Dave NC

Right/Left/Liberal/conservative... We ALL have some of each of these in us. It is the political parties that try to corrall us into these boxes so they can count us as on their side.

Remember:
    Every sane person sees themselves as being middle of the road because there is always someone worse on each side.

Normal is just the average of all of us.

Everyone is someones else's weirdo.

We are all part of The United States and that is what we should be working to make better... not the parties.

November 4, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  9. ObamaVolunteer

To JFK: President Elect Barack Hussein Obama will be the President of the United States of America in four years plus four more.

The whole world is ecstatic and some of his fellow countrymen are hating him.

President Elect Obama is our new President who happens to be half black and ALL American!

Get used to it!!!

November 4, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  10. Points!

1. This is amazing!
    2. Dem president and congress are not necessarily on the same team.
    3. Change is GOOD. I know it is scary to think things could change, but they are – in honest summation – not going very well right not in the U.S., due in no small part to Bush's 8 years of silliness.
    4. Thanks, foreigners, for the congratulations. See, the majority of Americans see humans as all deserving of the best things, but it is so hard to get past hatred and greed. I think we may have taken a step there though!

November 4, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  11. Kentucky UAW Bluecollar

Grats Obama! Grats Democrats! Lets start working on making friends immediately with e other side of the aisle!

November 4, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  12. livin in a mixed up world n lovin it!

but "sick of it" – remember and never forget what US whites did to the black americans culture for over 300 years. This is such a critical moment in US History! Why do they have the problems in their society?! Yes, it IS because of the white Americans!

November 4, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  13. Parade Rainer

Whoever wins we still lose, my friends. Why? If we're so ignorant as to treat the election like its some kind of football game, how can we justify being the world's superpower? The rest of the world's growing up while we act like a bunch of football hooligans. Its going to take a LOT more than a new president to fix that.

November 4, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  14. tim

looks like the welfare and freeloaders won this election, here we go agian have to work harder to pay more taxes to give to people who want work. the american way!

November 4, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  15. Mildred Lazo

The election might be over, but the country's problem still has to be tackled. Will see what the winner can do to improve our economy. It's not time to celebrate yet, because the four years ahead is when the leadership will be proven. Let's all pray for those who win and those who lost the election. Every candidate has something to offer for this country. Their ideas might not be the same but this is the beauty of democracy. The people has the chance to decide for themselves who can best serve their agenda or ambition. Leaders can lined up their best ideas and surround themselve with best advisors but the ultimate decision is the will of God. Natural calamities do happen like 9/11. Did we see it ahead of time, no. Let's just hope that we don't have this kind of disaster for the next four years. God bless...

November 4, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  16. Obioma Duru

What are the situation now as regards to U.S. Presidential election.

November 4, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  17. JT

I really can't believe the hatred being stated by so many people. The young people today are really different from when I was young. There is such a lack of basic human respect for other people. It is very sad. This election has polarized the country more than ever before in my lifetime.

November 4, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  18. Michel Galileo

Any man who can seduce and marry a woman as bright, articulate, funny decent and beautiful as Michelle Obama has to be a great man. And he is. He'll be a great President. And poor John McCain, he showed such a lack of judgment by picking Sarah Palin as his running mate that it was a bit scary to envision him at the White House.

Thanks, fellow Americains, for knowing the way to a better world when you se it.

November 4, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  19. Mark

Why are so many comments from obama supporters are soooooo negative. Just read this list below....Can't you all reach out and mend versus being so negative......if not we will not be any better off.

November 4, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  20. Irene Jaramillo albuquequerque New Mexico

Wow way to go everyone!!! Change is here!!! Let's get em' done

November 4, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  21. Judy

This is a comment for the news & media, PLEASE STOP using the "african american" term already!
    You are either a citizen of Africa, or of America!
    Next we will be hearing Mexican American, Chinese American, Canadian American, etc.
    I thought we were all just "American" ?

November 4, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  22. Judy

I'm in agreement that Palin needs to return to Alaska, but I would rather her just be quiet. She has brought more hate to America in her few weeks in the spotlight than I have seen in over 45 years and there is no room for anymore hate in this country.
    We should all be thankful that we live in a country where we have a choice and a voice. We all have different beliefs, different needs and different stories that determine who we vote for and no one should be condemned for their choice-that is what makes us Americans and different from the rest of the world.
    And for those who do not believe in freedom of choice for all Americans, there are no laws preventing you from moving to another country and changing your citizenship.

November 4, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  23. Doesn't really matter...

My congratulations Senator Obama, even though your not who I voted for. I just hope and pray that you hold your promises to us all. I fear a government where one particular party is in control of all the branches. I sincerely hope that you sir, hold Reid and Pelosie in check, and don't let them trample on our rights. I will hold you to your policy of change, I hope to God its for the better.

I will know what my childrens future holds, when I watch the news in the morning. If your supporters act like the crowds do who celebrate a sports teams victory, or loss, then I will know what the next 4 years hold for me and mine.

November 4, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  24. Judy

Does anyone remember Ronald Regan?? He was a ... Republican & the Clintons had a smooth ride because he did such an awesome job as president!
    Party doesn't matter, it's the person & what they can do while in office!

November 4, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  25. Scott

It will be so exciting to finally move into the sphere of Socialism with many of the other countries in this continent. I'm looking forward being buddies with Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez. It is so inspiring. I think I'll quit my job, file unemployment and see what other handouts I can collect. I wouldn't want be a traitor by actually working hard and being productive.

November 4, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |