November 4th, 2008

McCain aides see 'no path to victory'

(CNN) – Two senior aides to John McCain see "no path to victory," given the night's results so far.

The two advisors, who were crunching numbers for the Republican contender, were responding to a question via e-mail from CNN's Dana Bash, who has been covering the McCain campaign.

The aides asked not to named because the campaign is not commenting on internal discussions.

Three states that went Republican in 2004 have gone for Democrat Barack Obama, according to CNN projections - Iowa, New Mexico and Ohio.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Tiff of lithia springs

GO HOME SARAH PALIN. BE A MOTHER AND GET A REAL DEGREE AND NOT THAT MESS YOU HAVE PIECED TOGETHER.

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY I DON'T WISH YOU ILL. I WAS APPALLED AT THE HOUSE IN CALI. AND SOME OTHER THINGS THAT I WOULD NOT WISH ON ANYONE.

BUT YOU AT THIS TIME HAVE NO BUSINESS ON OUR NATIONAL STAGE OF POLITICS.

November 4, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  2. Riveted

Zeppo, head on over to fox news and see how well the Republicans are handling losing. You won't find much in the way of grace there.

November 4, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  3. An Independent Hillary

Yup, hail the Messiah Obama. He's gonna win!

And yup, I voted for him. I was kinda hoping this would be more of a nailbiter thoguh :-)

November 4, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  4. MikeH

Zeppo, you fecal-brain, are you so self-absorbed to think that all the accomplishe people who have endorsed Obama, like Colin Powell, Paul Krugman, Warren Buffett, are "Obamabots".

Zeppo, you are the fool here. Go home and look in the mirror and figure out what your problem is.

November 4, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  5. Cunuck

Either candidate is a giant step forward from President Bush(Who I liked personally for all his faults). I do believe Barrack will be great! I love the USA.

November 4, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  6. Tom Westland

Thank God. The abuses of the Bush Administration, the sleazy mudslinging of McCain, and the ridiculous claim that Palin was ready for anything national have all contributed to the fall of the Republican Party.

November 4, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  7. J.R.

I am ashamed of the Democratic party for their lying fraud of a candidate, but I think we can all be happy that Bush will be leaving office.

Obama voters be careful what you wish for!

November 4, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  8. E.Lewis

hahahahahaha hahaha hahaha haha
    Does this mean no mooseburgers?

November 4, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  9. Barbara (former Republican)

Perfect storm?! P-l-e-a-s-e . . . Why won't the Republican pundits accept reality or responsibility? John McCain lost this contest fair and square.

As an independent, I began this election favoring McCain. Inexplicably, his campaign with regularity acted on what it thought was the the sentiment of their so-called "real America." In fact, they had no clue what was going on with r-e-a-l Americans. Seemingly in arrogance, the campaign made one ill-informed decision after another.

Perfect storm, baloney! Circumstances did not conspire against them - they shot themselves in the foot. Admit it.

Thank heaven we will not be subjected to 4 years of out-of-touch government.

November 4, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  10. Independent in Ohio

It's about time!!!!! Way to go Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  11. greg

go back to Africa and stay there.....

November 4, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Not very smart to think McCain should concede before the polls close.

November 4, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  13. CeCe

Now that Senator Obama is blessed to be on his way to Washington D.C. McCain has the opportunity to admit defeat in the race and accept a place in Washington...aiding President Obama.

November 4, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  14. Christy

Obama/Biden is the way to go. For once in 8 years, Americans are making the right choice. The world doesn't need more of the same. Thank you! - from Canada

November 4, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  15. MamaBlue

Democrats – play nice! This is a historic day, and whoever wins the White House, we are all in this mess together. The hard work begins now.

November 4, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  16. Amber

I am so happy that America saw Barack Obama for the intellgent worldy man that his is and went beyond color now maybe we will see a change in America's racial tide for the better!!!

November 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  17. Anonymous

taxes, taxes, taxes-that is what you voted for and don't cry when you get it!!!

November 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  18. Anonymous

Appears that Obama will win despite Joe Biden, an even worse VP choice than Sarah Palin. Biden makes Dan Quayle look like a monumental statesman,and George Bush an FDR.

November 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  19. Liberty11

Now will the LA Times release the damaging Obama/Khalidi type now that they, and the rest of the media(you too CNN), have covered for Obama so he could be elected?

November 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  20. Fran in Pittsburgh

I'm proud to be an American! I'm not proud of being in a country where fellow countrymen and women (oh, I'm sorry, was I suppose to say 'people'?) allow themselves to be soothed by smooth rhetoric.

Do you really hate George Bush that much you are willing to believe half truths and lies to not re-elect him...or did you forget he wasn't running!

What happened to informed decisions? Maybe McCain wouldn't be my first choice, but when a presidential candidate won't quell suspicions and just produce a birth certificate OR when he is endorsed by the leaders of countries who HATE us, there really isn't much of a decision.

At any rate, if BO wins, I can finally join the ranks of those who sport a "I didn't vote for him" bumper sticker on my car!

Wake up America and start appreciating what we have, or should I say, had???

November 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  21. Mike

November 4th, 2008 10:24 pm ET

Go moose hunting!!!
    Anee, Go cameltoe hunting!!!!!

November 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  22. db.in.tx

oh you are going to but it's not gonna be the one you think, your new prez cares nothing for you, only your vote.

November 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  23. queen_koopa

HAHA! obama gogt this one baybee!!!
    good buy McCAINT and FALLIN!

November 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  24. h f shah

now palin can see whole day russia from her backyard.a poor choice and poor side of john mccain.

November 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  25. mccainiac in canuckistan

Too bad, alot of Canadians are scared of barack obama. He said he would unilaterally renegotiate NAFTA...not with us he won't.

November 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |