November 4th, 2008

McCain aides see 'no path to victory'

(CNN) – Two senior aides to John McCain see "no path to victory," given the night's results so far.

The two advisors, who were crunching numbers for the Republican contender, were responding to a question via e-mail from CNN's Dana Bash, who has been covering the McCain campaign.

The aides asked not to named because the campaign is not commenting on internal discussions.

Three states that went Republican in 2004 have gone for Democrat Barack Obama, according to CNN projections - Iowa, New Mexico and Ohio.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Chris

I can only hope that the next 4-8 years are not as rancorous and hateful as the past 8. No matter your party we should all be respectful of our president.

I'm a conservative but I will give President Obama an opportunity to govern the United States the way he, and now the majority of the electorate, has decided would be best. Be critical. Be skeptical. Encourage healthy debate, but be respectful of our president. Ultimately we should ALL want him (or her) to be successful along with our country.

November 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  2. GObama supporter

You can call McCain a good man, if you want to over look his bigotry, sexism and violent nature. Those in the Senate have seen his bullyism and the country does not need someone who acts off the cuff, especially in these tenuous times.

November 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  3. chris

Zeppo,

Republicans set the standard for disgraceful victory behavior. Get over it. You lost. The politics of lies, arrogance and fear-baiting are taking a break. Tough break GOP.

November 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  4. Lost in Texas

my gosh was KARL ROVE actually right??

November 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  5. Horace Cavalero

OBAMA'S VICTORY CAME A BIT LATE FOR 4000 SOLDIERS WHO DIED FOR NOTHING IN IRAQ AL LEAST WELL SAVE OTHERS

CONGRATULATIONS PRESIDENT ELECT OBAMA !

6. ringrover

seems like the lights were off for those who voted for obama.

7. Carolyn

Nothing wrong with a little exuberance after months of being called socialists, communists, terroists and not 'real' Americans. So happy that the real America is triumphant tonight!

8. Still Hope For McCain

It isn't over until its over! There's still time left and polls that haven't closed. There's still a chance the REAL AMERICAN will become President!!

9. robert

thank you all for voting sen. obama for president... you have soldout america...

10. mark

Oh well.

Maybe socialism won't be so bad...I may quit my job in January, and prepare for the fatcats to pay my way...

11. Tess

MY PRESIDENT IS BLACK!!!!!!!!!! [OBAMA]

12. GT

I hope that all of you OBAMA lovers are happy when he runs this great country into the ground and we Mccain lovers can say we told you so...

Congratulations on winning this election with ACORN and mystery money from GOD only knows who!!!!!!

God help us.

13. Obama/Biden Supporter

I think what we really need to focus on as a nation is not being at each others throats about who said what during the campaign but unite together under the elected president and support them as a nation. We have seen over the past 8 years what being a divided nation can do. What ever happened to the JFK type era where the President was someone who everyone deeply loved and respected? I'd like to see that again, because only then will we triumph. I think the divided we fall campaign speaks to that.

14. almex from vt

mccain just wantd the power.
    WE GONNA PARTY TONGIHT

15. Josh Johnson

Obama Party in Ft. Worth, Tx : Main Event On Bryant Irving rd.

IF YOU CAN GET HERE GET HERE, ITS PACKED!

16. Rich

Now that it looks like Obama will win can we finally declare racism is defeated and get rid of affirmative action? After all if an African american can defeat a Vietnam war hero I think we can pretty much conclude that racism doesn't exist in this country.

17. Michael

Think about how badly things were set up for a McCain win: the economy tanked in the month before the election; the Republican campaign picked a VP running mate that turned into a liability; the country's voting populace is shifting to a younger mean age; the focus was never able to shift to the war or national security; etc.

Now think about how close the election actually is. The fact that Obama won is not the real story here. The real story is that he didn't win by a MUCH wider margin, given the number of factors that broke the Democrats' way.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm Libertarian and never have a real "dog in the race" for the White House.

18. I think I can now send my kids to college

LMAO!!!!!! OMG I almost felt bad for McShame lol for a spilt second... I want all the votes to come in so that we can see exactly how bad Obama beat McCain lol God is good! All the time!!!

19. ALy

Thank you, Ohio!

20. Dwight

ughhh! Tonight i cry , tomorrow we Conservatives regroup for another day and another fight. Next time we win.

21. O/B'08

Mavericks, fool me once, shame on me; fool me twice, shame on me. Hillary was right.

22. rz

C'mon McCain! the nights not over yet!

23. Mr. Curry

Congrats Mr. Obama, lets get this country moving in the right direction!!!! Turn blue Indiana, turn blue!!!

24. LawlCakes

Obama won.. GAME OVER...

GG... try again later..

25. Steve

Obama's worst nightmare will begin in January when he actually has lead. At that time his "all things to all people" will disintegrate and his popularity will drop exponentially.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15