November 4th, 2008

McCain aides see 'no path to victory'

(CNN) – Two senior aides to John McCain see "no path to victory," given the night's results so far.

The two advisors, who were crunching numbers for the Republican contender, were responding to a question via e-mail from CNN's Dana Bash, who has been covering the McCain campaign.

The aides asked not to named because the campaign is not commenting on internal discussions.

Three states that went Republican in 2004 have gone for Democrat Barack Obama, according to CNN projections - Iowa, New Mexico and Ohio.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Just a thought

If (rather when) Obama wins, I sure hope he doesn't act like his supporters (the people behind these posted comments).

November 4, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  2. b

thank god. McCain is alright but Palin is possibly dumber than bush. we dont need to dig our economy into a deeper hole

November 4, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  3. Brittany Glenn

This is a historic moment for our nation. The American people have done the right thing in electing Obama. Yay USA! I'm proud to be an American! Obama is "the One" who will lead our nation in change. Our international status will be restored and we will be seen as "the good guys" once again. But Bush's failure has left Obama with a real mess to clean up. He has quite a job in front of him. It's a good thing he's young.

November 4, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  4. Bob

I missed my connection in Chicago this afternoon and got home after the polls closed. I feel awful.

November 4, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  5. EG

What a very sad day for America – Obama can thank the media and the Bush haters for his win. I just hope America will be able to bounce back from 4 years of socialism, Marxism and distribution of wealth.

November 4, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  6. Jeremy in Maryland

My faith in this wonderful country is restored... I'll be partying with all the Obama supporters well into this evening and for the next four years. Maybe the GOP will nominate Palin for the next election against President Obama in four years... Second time is a charm right? Go Obama!

November 4, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  7. Losing money in '09

Great, now my tax bill will increase by approx. $120K/yr with Obama and his redistribution/socialist agenda. It took me 45 years to get to this income level ($600K +) and this is my reward, over $100K additional taxes. I know you 99% do not give a s__t but this country was not built on taxing the rich, it was built on the possibilities and realities of people trying to become rich. Hence the huge immigrant population. They are coming for wealth accumulation, not our weather.
    I expect no sympathy for my 15 years of 90 hr work weeks to get my my income leveling here but magine having your tax bill go up $100K + people. Enjoy your refund!!!!, no need to thank me.

November 4, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  8. blues dog

The steady hand, better run campaign ,honourable campain etc etc

9. Happy Pappy

Obama's victory is a turning point in America's history. We can now truly claim the country to be a true "melting pot" of the world because the majority of people see all people (races) as one! I am so happy to be alive to see this.

November 4, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  10. A Democrat in Texas - Imagine that.

Looking at the results so far, three things make me jump for joy:

1) Obama is predicted to win by a landslide.
    2) No more Sarah Palin. Seriously – thank god.
    3) Even in my home state of Texas that as a whole remains woefully red, I'm proud to see Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio come through solid blue for Obama.

11. Nicolette

YES, WE DID!

12. Ahmir

Congratulations to Obama. As a foreigner, I must say that the people of the US have once again impressed me by showing me that they have the courage and belief to elect an African American as President. What a fantastic achievement! I also respect John McCain's honourable approach to politics unfortunately his choice of VP was not his best idea.

13. One issue voter

It's a sad day for the children who could have lived through their mother's choice. How many more have to die before the veil of ignorance is lifted?

14. Wayne

It's just like the socialist lefties to start with obnoxious comments. But what could we expect from those who lack the capacity for independent and/or rational thought? Are we in third grade here? Well, I can at least offer respectful congratulations to the winner, although I don't have much hope for the country anymore. I would have hoped at least 51% of our countrymen would have been able to see through Obama. And yes, this is a historic night. It's marked the beginning of the end.

15. Independent white female patriotic voter

I do not wish Senator Mccain who is one of our heroes any ill harm, but I do have to admit that I am really thrilled to see Obama win this election. I would like to tell everyone that from this day forward, dirty negative politics will always lose. The American people want a positive leader with ideas and visions and itelligence, someone who can guide and lead our country. That's why we voted for that one!

16. Anonymous

OH, you mean the one who was born in Panama?

17. tj california

What KINDa wOMan goes HUNtiNG...
    That was The First GIVeaWay right TherE.. WOw.. I doNt haTe McCain he was just in the way thats all.. Like The Lakers were in the CeltiCs way last season.. BYe bYe Repibluican racists..

18. McCain/Palin

I find it interesting what kind comments are being posted by you democrats...

MCCAIN PALIN ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!

19. Carolyn

All of the Americans who voted for Obama will be working hard to restore this country's respect around the world – the respect we lost during the last 8 years. I'm betting our economy will be much, much better in 4 years and we'll vote the Dems in again.

20. Ahmir

21. annee

GOD is GREAT. He WILL bless this country!!! He is blessing it now. Tonight!!!!

November 4, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  22. Doctor Sparkles

Different face – same monster.
    Obama is no less a fascist puppet than McCain.
    Enjoy what liberties you have while you can.

November 4, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  23. Mark

Martin and Mike you two are ignorant idiots. And I mean that in a respectfull manner .....:-)

November 4, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  24. Jackie E.

Sorry McCain, you will never be as great as your grandfather or father.

Congratulations Barack Obama!!!!!

November 4, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  25. ALL4OBAMA

Maverick?? What's that? I think I drove one in my teens. GO OBAMA!!!

November 4, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |