November 4th, 2008

Castellanos: 'transformational' leader

(CNN) – The great modern American presidents have been transformational figures - Americans who could inspire a country with their words, lift it with their hopes and take our country into the future: FDR, JFK, Reagan.

These men took an uncertain country beyond economic depression and the arms race and the threat of nuclear war and led America into New Frontiers. Each began the country anew. They transformed the country they led.

Today, America faces a new global frontier, challenging our security and economic prominence. To lead us, we have chosen another New Frontier president, another transformational leader. He, like they, has the potential to inspire and unite and become one of our great transformational presidents.

May God bless him and keep him and guide him on a successful journey.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Brandi-bottom of the boot

Amen.

November 4, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Wow CNN is really going red when they start praising Reagan.

November 4, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  3. NPA

Lou Dobbs must be having a heart attack right now. This is one of the best days of my life.

November 4, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  4. Dude

Seriously, if you guys keep this crap up, I'm going to vomit. This messianic hysteria has to stop. Winning is one thing and I don't begrudge you that, but this saccharine sweet future that Obama's been preaching is one reason I've prayed to have this done. Give me one night off from it, would ya?

November 4, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  5. S. Boatman

Congrats On The Landslide Victory PRESIDENT OBAMA!

November 4, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  6. Joanne

Can CNN also be transformational? This is indeed a historical moment and with such potential! Can we refer to him as biracial as opposed to black which is far more accurate? You also have the power to unite.

November 4, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Never before has a candidate promised so little while receiving such media praise. Lets see what actually GETS DONE once the media honeymoon ends.

November 4, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  8. melissa collins

I was raised in a small town in Eastern Kentucky among people who expressed many types of discrimination. I vowed that I would never allow my children to possess these types of traits. I have supported Obama since day one. Tonight I could hold back no tears. This is the best night ever, not just for myself but also for all of America. Maybe now others will teach their own children as I have. Blissful wishes to Barack Obama and Joe Biden. Never in my heart of hearts would I have thought to see a black man achieve so much respect. You have all of mine.

Love, Melissa Collins

November 4, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  9. Jan in NC

Now let ALL AMERICANS come together and show the world that we are the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! We are all of the human race and need to set an example for all to see that we care for one another! Good Bless you, President-Elect Obama!

November 4, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  10. Tom

Congratulation from Europe,
    Guess Billions were watching this election with jitters. Finally you made change possible, not only for your country, also for the whole world. I'm so thankful, that you said no to stuberness, heroism, religious fundamentalism and racism. Thank you!

November 4, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  11. Girl

If this person is truly able to affect change in our country, why has he not provided a balance sheet for us to use as a measure? I can just see it now.... a country led to ruin. At the hands of an inexperienced, ineffectual psuedo leader.

May Heaven help us and keep us safe.

There is nothing but turmoil and strife ahead of us now.

Hope must stay alive to protect our 2nd amendment rights. I hope the rest of the nation realizes this.

November 4, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  12. Patricia

Oh yeah!! OBAMA 2008!!!!!!!!! WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  13. Ade

Alex, I couldn't have put it any better. For a Republican, you're alright, Sir. God bless you as well.

A democrat for President Obama

November 4, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  14. Peter (CA)

Amen, Alex, amen.

Now if your fellow right wingers will join in, we can make a difference.

November 4, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  15. New Day

I wanna thank all who stood in lines for hours to vote. We all made it possible. :) Dems, Reps, Independents; we took the country in the right direction tonight.

November 4, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  16. go america

Sad night for america

November 4, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  17. Pam

Nicely said Alex. It's unfortunate that during the Election coverage tonight you couldn't see to restrain yourself from calling Al Franken a crazy lunatic. Once a Republican, always a Republicant, huh Alex. Shame on you.

November 4, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  18. Indiana mom and teacher for Obama

I've always respected your commentary sir, and after this post, I will say I do now more than ever.

You know, I think something is happening in our country, and it's not coming from the polls, or from CNN per se... it's coming from my students at school who aren't even old enough to vote yet but are worried for Obama. They're worried that someone could hurt him if he were to become president, and that this would divide the country all over again the way it divided when Martin Luther King was killed.

They were concerned that their black friends would take sides, that their white friends would take sides, and that they would also be expected to take sides, but do you know what they said instead, defiantly and decidedly as only youth can? They said to me, and to all there who would listen, "But no, I won't take sides. My friends are my friends, and I don't care what color they are."

I could only watch them dumbstruck then, and think to myself... thank God you're the future. With the outcome of the election tonight, I'm so proud to say I truly believe the future is finally here.

November 4, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  19. Chuka Onya

GOD BLESS PRESIDENT OBAMA!!!!!
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

November 4, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  20. Ed

Alex,

FDR? JFK? Reagan? Obama can't even their shoes.

Hype is all I hear.

End the CNN bias. You all didn't cover this election fairly and evenly at all in the primaries or general.

As journalists you should be ashamed of yourselves.

November 4, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  21. Anonymous

OH GOD THANK YOU...THANK YOU VERY MUCH WE NEEDED HIM TO LEAD THE U.S AND IM SO HAPPY THAT HE IS

November 4, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  22. mms

YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  23. STEPHANIE PETIT-HOMME

November 4, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  24. Canada

Now its time for Canada to go LIBERAL AGAIN!!

November 4, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  25. Andy

Yes.. totally agreed as his influences already boost the Asia Stock market by couple percentage. Also, he'll be historic figure among MLK and other historic African American.

On the other hand, the world will see Obama as a new symbol for our country as they will have a new preception about United States.

November 4, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |