November 4th, 2008

Obama wins Ohio, CNN projects

(CNN) – Democrat Barack Obama is on target to win the critical battleground state of Ohio, CNN projects.

The projected victory makes it very difficult for Obama's rival John McCain to win the White House. No Republican has ever become president without winning Ohio.

Watch: Obama wins Ohio

Ohio is the first state that went for President Bush in 2004 but flipped to the Democratic column this year. No states that went Democratic in 2004 have yet gone for McCain.

The state's 20 electoral votes would bring Obama's total to 194, versus 69 for McCain. A candidate needs 270 to win.

CNN projections are based on exit polls and partial results.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Anonymous

Apple bottom jeans and the boots with the fur?

November 4, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  2. ninna from jackson mich

ohio lets rock the vote!!vote for a change OBAMA

November 4, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  3. OBAMABBY!

LETS GO OBAMA !!!! LETS MAKE HISTORY OBAMA 08' WE CAN DO IT !!!!

November 4, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  4. Sara

Congrats to CNN! for their Victory!!!

November 4, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  5. Jim & Pam - Ohio

WTG Ohio! BTW .... Do you realize your total number of delegates is off by 1. The total should be 200.

November 4, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  6. Andrew

Moving to Canada, go ahead and move. Leave the country to the true patriots that want to rebuild it after what Bush has done. This is one of the greatest days in our countries history. Finally we may have learned that hate, fear and division is not all of what the republicans made their minions think it would be.

November 4, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  7. stevecohenchicago

Hey, anonymous. Take your 3000 dollars and leave. All your money? Please.

November 4, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  8. RVD

Unity
    The good black and white people of this country have spoken It is a mandate.....
    President Barak Obama! Thank you GOD for letting me be witness to this day!

November 4, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  9. carlsya

To all of you who are gonna be mad if Obama wins you must be rich because if McCain wins all of us will be living in the poor house and gas will be sky high!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  10. matthew

maybe now that Obama will win we can get back to what is important in this country and get away from the corpratocracy

November 4, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  11. Right Here in America

Have y'all noticed that not once has Palin said anything nice about Obama? I wonder how it feels to be mean and a sore loser. McCain, I feel bad for you because you are a good man, but Sarah Palin is an idiot. Fool me once, shame on You, fool me twice shame on me.
    Sarah Palin you make me want to puke.

November 4, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  12. Tara

I have never been so proud of my country. This is history in the making. Congratulations, fellow Americans! Democrats, Republicans, and Independents unite! We have written a new chapter in the History books!

November 4, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  13. Cathi edie

You people have no idea what you have done. Its not the change you think it will be

November 4, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  14. OBAMA 08

Personally being from Ohio I never would've thought this state would vote Dem, but I've never been happier in my life. For once I feel like my vote mattered and was a part of this crucial battle. Barack Obama 08/re-election 2012

November 4, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  15. Alicia

Goodbye to Gidget and the Geezer!

November 4, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  16. ~It's Trell Baby~

No!!! ~ Its Obama Baby ~

November 4, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  17. Republican

the spelling is "PALIN" Mr Butcher....and you'd better hope that CNN didn't speak too soon with only a 10 point difference with only 15% of votes accounted for.... remember CNN only PROJECTS, they don't DECLARE

November 4, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  18. Independent white female patriotic voter

Joe the plumber, Obama will cut your taxes next year, isn't that great? Thank you Ohio, thank you! thank you! I love you all!

November 4, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  19. maurice

if either 1 loss`s the electoral vote and wins the popular vote that will be a fight that will last past jan. 20th. people are tired of their votes not counting.

November 4, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  20. ayobami.

I wnt obama 2 win cause i no he will make a change

November 4, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  21. Adam

thank Ohio , PA, you should be proud of your vote. You mad the right choice asta la vista old screwed up politic .Thank a billions hi ha!!!

November 4, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  22. History in the Making

Looks like HISTORY!! "bout time!!

November 4, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  23. Jodi K

ITS OVER!!! Thank you President Elect Obama!!

November 4, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  24. ed

I think both candidates ran respectable campaigns. The recent figures saying both candidates were over 60% negative are misleading.

The kind of negative that we saw in 2000 and 2004 was not present in this election. Nor was Karl Rove. Coincidence? I think not.

November 4, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  25. clara okonma

god bless america ,god bless obama and mcain, but only the right one will win tonight

November 4, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |