November 4th, 2008

Obama wins Ohio, CNN projects

(CNN) – Democrat Barack Obama is on target to win the critical battleground state of Ohio, CNN projects.

The projected victory makes it very difficult for Obama's rival John McCain to win the White House. No Republican has ever become president without winning Ohio.

Watch: Obama wins Ohio

Ohio is the first state that went for President Bush in 2004 but flipped to the Democratic column this year. No states that went Democratic in 2004 have yet gone for McCain.

The state's 20 electoral votes would bring Obama's total to 194, versus 69 for McCain. A candidate needs 270 to win.

CNN projections are based on exit polls and partial results.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Anonymous

just hope he's the savior everyone thinks he is...

if he's not, it won't matter. Charisma tends to do that to sheep.

November 4, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  2. John 123

Let the back-pedaling begin. Now that he's got the Presidency, be prepared for the great re-writing of the election rhetoric:

From now to Jan, watch how that magic number of who won't see a tax increase to change from $250K, to $200K, to $150K.

Then, watch the back-pedaling when they say, no, we meant FAMILIES that make less than $150K, so that really just means individuals making less than $75K.

Then, watch even more back-pedaling as they start saying they only mean your INCOME taxes won't go up, but that they didn't promise anything about all your other taxes (which will of course be going up).

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we're about to spend the next three months being told that what we heard isn't the same as what was really said.

November 4, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  3. George Sara

I cant just sleep,but to see how Obama is barracking the votes to himself.Lets just let the old Man Mccain go to sleep.He should be retired from active job.The white house should go for people who are full of live.Welcome Obama to the white house.

November 4, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  4. LISA

*No matter what your political convictions are this is an eye opener....What
    a thankless people we are!!!

David Letterman, on President Bush. (Surprising)

David Letterman wrote this; it's the David we don't often see....

'As most of you know I am not a President Bush fan, nor have I ever been,
    but this is not about Bush, it is about us, as Americans, and it
    seems to hit the mark.' 'The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine
    and came across some Poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be
    true given the
    source, right?

The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with
    the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country
    is unhappy with the performance of the President. In essence 2/3 of the
    citizenry just ain't happy and want a change. So being the knuckle dragger I
    am, I started thinking, 'What are we so unhappy about?'

A. Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 Days
    a week?

B. Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer
    and heating in the winter?

C. Could it be that 95.4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job?

D. Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time and
    see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

E. Maybe it is the ability to drive our cars and trucks from the Pacific
    Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification
    papers as we move through each state.
    F. Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find
    along the way that can provide temporary shelter?

G. I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from
    around the world is just not good enough either.

H. Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up
    and provide services to help all and even send a helicopter to take you
    to the hospital.

I. Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home.

J. You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a
    group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch
    equipment to extinguish the flames thus saving you, your family, and your
    belongings.

K. Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a
    burglar or prowler intrudes, an officer equipped with a gun and a
    bullet-proof
    vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss.

L. This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias
    raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90% of
    teenagers own cell phones and computers.

M. How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we
    enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world?

Maybe that is what has 67% of you folks unhappy.

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world
    has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. , yet has a great
    disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed
    people in the world who do nothing but complain about what
    we don't have, and what we hate about the country instead of thanking the
    good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the president who took us into war and has no
    plan to get us out? The president who has a measly 31 percent approval
    rating? Is this the same president who guided the nation in the dark days
    after 9/11? The president that cut taxes to bring an economy out of
    recession? Could
    this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for
    succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist
    attacks? The
    commander in chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending
    you an d me?

Did you hear how bad the President is on the news or talk show? Did this
    news affect you so much, make you so unhappy you couldn't take a
    look around for yourself and see all the good things and be glad? Think
    about it......are you upset at the President because he actually caused you
    personal
    pain OR is it because the 'Media' told you he was failing to kiss your
    sorry ungrateful behind every day.

Make no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have
    volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom.
    There is
    currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go. They are able
    to refuse to go and end up with either a "general" discharge, an
    'other than honorable" discharge or, worst case scenario, a
    "dishonorable' discharge after a few days in the brig.

So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of
    Americans?

Say what you want, but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds it leads and
    they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with
    blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner?
    The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They
    offer what
    sells, and when criticized, try to defend their actions by 'justifying'
    them in one way or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like
    O.J. Simpson to write a book about how he didn't kill his wife, but if he
    did he would have done it this way......Insane!

Turn off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom
    of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as a country.
    There is exponentially more good than bad. We are among the most blessed
    people on Earth and should thank God several times a day, or at least be
    thankful and appreciative.' 'With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of
    control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the countr y
    from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist
    attacks, 'Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of
    Allegiance?'

-David Letterman

November 4, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  5. Anonymous

'Obama for McCain' I will tell what is really sad: the fact that you can't even spell 'America'. It has one 'm' not two.

November 4, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  6. Reza Khezrian

Obama won Ohio and Pennsylvania because he spent, spent, and spent almost 6 to 1 in advertisements more than the amount of money John McCain could ever dream of spending in the two states or nationwide.

Don't forget Obama is a 600,000,000 dollar Baby!

Good for him :)

November 4, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  7. Esther

No more excuses....Obama President

The economy will be fixed.....
    We will be oil independent at last...and forever.....
    Everybody will have Good Healthcare Plans....(same as Senators)
    Tax Cuts....
    No more Wars....Bin Laden will be captured....
    Last but not least.........The END of the "Race Card" !!!!!

November 4, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  8. vote! OBAMA-BIDEN NOV.4th

OBAMA I AM SO PROUD OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, I KNOW YOUR GRANDMOTHERS SPIRIT IS WITH YOU, I BELIEVE THAT IS WHY GOD TOOK HER, SO SHE COULD BE WITH YOU IN SPIRIT. BLESS YOU.

November 4, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  9. CHANGE

64 to the White House!! I O'bama can start measuring the drapes now.

November 4, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  10. ohioan in china

Way to go, ohio! I hope now that we can all come together and work for change as one nation. The worls is watching and shares our hope that America can again become the great nation of our ideals. Its been a rough 8 yrs, but not so rough that it cannot be repaired. Let's quit bickering, take time to mourn our candidate(s) who lost, and figure out a way to work together. Go buckeyes!

November 4, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  11. Sam the Butcher

Whatever there Rethuglican. Get at me tomorrow. I'm going to be celebrating tonight.
    Palin Phailin Piglin...doesn't matter. After tonight it's Sarah I-r-r-e-l-e-v-a-n-t.
    Spelling smack = the last hope for tools that are beaten.

November 4, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  12. Anonymous

I am so glad that this election is over. A lot of people don't want to believe that racism is still alive and these past 18 months have proven that. Race should not have had anything to do with the election at all but it did, it should have been the best person for the nation not the color of their skin. I know several Democrats that voted Republican because they do not want an African American to be President. I just cannot for the life of me see how anyone could have voted for McCain/Palin the only thing I heard from them is what Obama wants to do or can't do well what were their plans for the nation? I can't stand to see her or even listen to her she acts like she is running for a popularity contest or still in a beauty pagent. I mean I just don't understand how anyone can think that she is qualified to be a leader. Wake up people it's time to let go of the hate for other races. I don't believe that any one color is any better than the other. I could care less what color the candidates were as long as they are Democrat that's the way I was voting. Let it go!!!!!

November 4, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  13. Jack

Our friend "That One" is the president. You loser McCain. McCain go a do farming, get lost.

November 4, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  14. Pierre Tchoundou

This is and very proud moment for the whole world and indeed for a humandkind and dream come true of one of most heros on earth Rev. Martin Luther King, Now the new President of the USA Mr. Barrack Obama had a mission to kick out all these rooting african president, from Gabon, Cameroon,Chad,Egypt,libya,,Equato -Ginee,Guine – conakry and Zimbabwe, on the serious note Mr. Barrack Obama had to emphasize the departure of these dictators and request accountability at the African continent ( Pierre Tchoundou from South Africa -East London)

November 4, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  15. Fasil

Can anyone find out if Obama has a brother that can run for Canadian office?

November 4, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  16. Sara

Good Luck America!!!
    May you sleep well tonight!!!
    Look in the mirror!!!
    Read between the lines!!!
    Beware what you wish for or receive!!

November 4, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  17. Pinto

Ryan–In case you know..the "educated" ones voted for the "educated guy"-Obama!! The rednecks are the "mindless"people who voted for the bimbo "palin"
    And what expereince are you talking about? Just being 72 year old does not mean anything. And BTW, being able to see "Russia" from "Alaska" is "foreign experience" huh!!
    The smarter and the more decent one won...:)

November 4, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  18. k

Funny how the south doesn't want to vote for a black man?

November 4, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  19. $pandalover$

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! obama won in ohio i cant believe it i just have this feeling obama going to win!!!!!! he has to win i just could not take it if obama lost the election!!!!

November 4, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  20. raul

from brazil we are looking for change thanks all Americans for make Obama our president!!!

November 4, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  21. Jane

I am not a democrat OR republican...I look at the facts and vote accordingly. I work very hard every day and am a 46 yr old single mother. I cannot afford health care, and I have lost 2 jobs under Bush's lead...Than k God for Obama....He understands what its like to struggle, Im glad OHIO finally WOKE up and voted in a REAL leader!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  22. james o

What a wonderful day in America

November 4, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  23. Cory

LET'S GO OBAMA & BIDEN!!! I've never been more proud or excited to be a Delawarean. Biden has done Delaware good and I know that with Obama, he will make our country proud!!

THANK YOU OHIO!!

November 4, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  24. indie gurl

Um... I noticed that a majority of hate-filled comments contain spelling and grammar errors. It shows how uneducated some people are on the wrong side and why they stayed with Bush!

November 4, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  25. will

MEANY HEAD however took my post OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

November 4, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |