November 4th, 2008

Obama wins Ohio, CNN projects

(CNN) – Democrat Barack Obama is on target to win the critical battleground state of Ohio, CNN projects.

The projected victory makes it very difficult for Obama's rival John McCain to win the White House. No Republican has ever become president without winning Ohio.

Watch: Obama wins Ohio

Ohio is the first state that went for President Bush in 2004 but flipped to the Democratic column this year. No states that went Democratic in 2004 have yet gone for McCain.

The state's 20 electoral votes would bring Obama's total to 194, versus 69 for McCain. A candidate needs 270 to win.

CNN projections are based on exit polls and partial results.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Dick

*hand salute* to President Elect Obama

November 4, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  2. M.C.Dillan

Thank GOD.....CAN WE GET ON WITH THE FUTURE ALREADY....BARBARIC PHILOSOPHY, BARBARIC FUELS, AND BARBARIC TOOLS.....TIME FOR SOME BALANCE AND REALITY. MAN CAN'T RULE THE COSMOS WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING THAT IT RULES US FIRST.

November 4, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  3. KD

Goodbye to GWB (greedy white boy) and his pitiful politics. How did our gov't grow 70% under republicans. McCain lost because he is still in the Oil Age, and it's over. The Stone Age didn't end because we ran out of stones. Today is a good day...

November 4, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  4. John from California

I grew up in a conservative part of Michigan. I moved to California in my 20s, and it was a liberating experience. I endured the misguided Vietnam war (initiated by Democrats), and became informed and educated along the way. I watched the Bush administration start another war that I vehemently opposed. I watched as the economy started to fail, and I wasn't surprised, though Allen Greenspan was. I've watched the Christian right exercise far too much control, and now I'm watching a change that I believe will be a vast improvement over what the Republicans have been serving up. I'm ready, however, and I believe Obama will be too, to work on mending the political fabric of our country. Rude discourse and ranting opinions need to be tempered with intelligent thought and commentary. Thank you Ohio!

November 4, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  5. Sara

When will African Americans, speaking for myself get over the color of my skin and vote with heart, mind, honesty, reality, and not the lies or the color of my skin, which I will use against you, and have!

November 4, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  6. Jasmin Branch

This is the most nerve wrecking day ever!!! I pray the right one wins!
    Its looking pretty good for Obama. I wonder how he's feeling right now.
    its going to be a long night. Im going to be so tired tomorrow because im not going to sleep until i find out who our President will be!!!
    God Bless

November 4, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  7. waiting for 2012

This election is historic. Never in US history will there be such a letdown as in the next four years. The depression will be both economic and social.

November 4, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  8. Just wondering....

I think it is wonderful how Obama is using the excess campaign money to help those in financial trouble......oops....I forgot, unlike other Presidents, he is throwing a big blowout multi-media bash in Chicago. Mr. Obama, How many mouths could have been fed with that money (even more in Kenya!)

November 4, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  9. patty

I give it a year... then all the promises fall away.. One woman on TV tonight said she was so happy "Now I don't have to pay my mortgage, I don't have to get a job. It's a great day!" ** ugh. Bammy's got a whole lot of promises to keep. Let the games begin...

** I saw that at about 2:45pm this afternoon on CNN in one of their exit poll interviews.

November 4, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  10. Kiwi

WELL DONE OBAMA ...BEST WISHES FROM NEW ZEALAND.
    GO BACK TO YOUR MOOSE SHOOTING LIFE PALIN...YOU
    CANNOT BE THE MOST POWERFUL PERSON IN THE WORLD!!
    YOU ARE SEEN AS A JOKE BY THE REST OF THE WORLD.
    HARD LUCK MCCAIN , DON'T BE A SORE LOSER, CONGRATULATE
    OBAMA AS THOUGH YOU MEANT IT!!

November 4, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  11. A in Ohio

Come on people. We are all citizens of this wonderful country. Why are we being vicious about this. We are about to have a new president. Personally, I believe that both candidates love their country and are patriots. Either one will give us the change we desperately need (although they may take us on different paths to get there). Let's stop acting as though this is some sort of sporting event where one team loses and one team wins. Okay, I'll get off my soap box now. Thanks. Peace.

November 4, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  12. Change gon come

I'm from Toronto canada and we're all glued to these stats right now. We treat this like it was our own elecion. The whole world right now is watching with patience and confidence in the American people to do the right thing. Obama is the truth and we ALL deserve hope.

November 4, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  13. ad rose

What a relief! We, your northern neighbours salute you.

November 4, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  14. A120

Liberal media bias + idiotic sheep of America + white guilt + black racism = an inexperienced, unqualified, socialist, radical, terrorist President. Time to take from the hard-working and give to the lazy and jealous. Don't forget that the economy failure is due to Democrats' green-lighting subprime mortgages. The idiocy of liberal Americans amazes me.

November 4, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  15. well done

the world congratulates the open minded americans and is glad to have you back. after the 8 year disaster it's good to see we've all learned something. go US! go Barack!

November 4, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  16. Anonymous

How can true Christians vote for Obama. Wake up America America America

November 4, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  17. gregory Herbe

I'm a french man leaving in Aotearoa,

America !

The futur is yours,show the world what you are capable of.

Natives,White,Black and the Rainbow become one to save the planete.

Vive la liberte,Vive l'amerique !

November 4, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  18. Maggie from Virginia

Thank You Ohio!

November 4, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  19. roy

well done america. you are back on top:) i hope that the boorish, ignorant few will accept their diminishing roles as the minority and fizzle out.

November 4, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  20. Shaundra

WHO SAID ALL BLACKS VOTED BECAUSE OF RACE?!!!!!! BE FOR REAL! I VOTED BECAUSE MCCAIN RAN A SHADY CAMPAIGN! HIS CHARACTER SUCKED SO DON'T FALL INTO THE SAME TRAP THE WHITE MAN IS TRYING TO SAY AND SUGGEST BLACKS ONLY VOTED FOR HIM BECAUSE HE IS BLACK!!!! THAT PISSES ME OFF!!

November 4, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  21. I'm an American

No surprise...since there are so many empty park benches that were filled by a Democratic judge stating park benches count as an address. Only in Dayton, Toledo, Cleveland or Ohio. Have fun screwing up this country the next four years. If anyone thinks the flag goes away, you can think again. This is America, and I'm glad to be part of it....Not Obama nation.....Pathetic.....

November 4, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  22. tiffany in ohio

I will be nicer to my white neighbors in Ohio for now on. You have made me proud of my state. Thank you

November 4, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  23. Now what

Congratulations to President Obama. He ran an impressive campaign and earned this victory. Now, let's see him deliver, because for all the talk of unity and "reaching across party lines," there are a lot of promises to fulfill and a lot of people waiting for this man's star to crash.

November 4, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  24. InTx

It's time to reunite the nation. For all those saying that it's a sad day for America, that the uneducated voted for McCain, or that the uneducated voted for Obama, that McCain supporters are racists or haters, that Obama supporters are idiots... I have news for you: this is what democracy is about. America has spoken, now we unite and make this great country even greater!

November 4, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  25. patty

"Um… I noticed that a majority of hate-filled comments contain spelling and grammar errors. It shows how uneducated some people are on the wrong side and why they stayed with Bush!"

Should be "Hum. I noticed that the majority of hate-filled comments contained spelling and grammatical errors. This shows how uneducated some people can be: those who stayed on the wrong side, supporting Bush."

Don't throw stones; don't be condescending.

November 4, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |