November 4th, 2008

Obama's Grant Park preps

CHICAGO (CNN) – Advance staff members for Sen. Barack Obama have begun to test out the podium where he is expected to speak in the coming hours.

The ticketed areas within Grant Park are filling up, and people are pressed against bicycle fencing, waving signs and waving to the hundreds of cameras trained on the ever-growing crowd.

The area directly beneath the catwalk and podium is reserved for VIP guests and staffers. With each state called for Obama, staff members, who have appeared tense and haggard in recent days, are yelping and jumping around. Many staffers have also brought their parents into Chicago to take in the evening.

In a sign that the entire city is stoked about tonight's attention, red, white and blue bunting lines Michigan Avenue, and buildings in downtown Chicago that face Grant Park have turned on lights to spell out "USA" and "VOTE 2008."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Georgia

Tom, you are making no sense..........just like McCain.......contradictory statements! Seems to me you started partying early thinking McCain was going to win.............GO SLEEP IT OFF. No one – whether they were for Obama or McCain wants to hear your negative and derogatory comments and I don't think anyone should comment back to you from this point!

November 4, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  2. sapodila

Today is a great day in America and the world. The best man took the highways that lead to the highest office in the nation. May McCain and Palin keep driving the low and local roads and safely return to their home states. Go Obama! Never been so proud of a people and a country as I am at this moment. America has come a very long and winding road. God Bless our new President and God bless America!

November 4, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  3. Tom

Troy – you'd be shocked at what I've managed to build that I'd just as soon not lose or give to others who choose not to work. I prefer healthy amounts of charity to welfare. But thanks for your prayers. While you're at it, pray for our kids overseas who are closer to death with the planned budget cuts of our apparently new prez. And pray for our country while we still have one.

November 4, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  4. Erin

It's a beautiful night in the city 🙂

November 4, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  5. john

When we voted for Bush in 2004 we already set ourselves for a Democratic president after him.

November 4, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  6. Scott

nwyt....you don't have a clue what you're talking about. I'm military and would have been most proud to serve under John McCain. I am not the least bit thrilled at the prospect of serving under the socialist that's about to become Commander in Chief.

November 4, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  7. Tom

Georgia – you don't think anyone should comment but you did? Isn't that contradictory? Just letting you know that the world didn't suddenly become all warm and fuzzy. Have a good night and pray for our country. By the way folks, I don't drink. or get high. How about you?

November 4, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  8. TO GEOGIA

HEY YOU GO GIRL? I'M ALL FOR WOMEN AS THEY HAVE COME ALONG WAY ALTHOUGH WE CAN SEE THAT MCCAIN HAS LOST HIS MARBLES BY THIS CHOICE OF AWOMAN AS HILARY WOULD HAVE BEEN THE CORRECT CHOICE SHE KNOWS WHAT SHE'S DOING AND SHE CAN'T EVEN SEE RUSSIA "LOL"

November 4, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  9. TO TOM

THANK YOUR GEORGE W BUSH FOR THE WAR NOT OBAMA YOU HAVE YOUR LINES CROSSED

November 4, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  10. Tom

Thanks CNN for letting me garner a response and put a bit of silliness and thought provocation into this celebration. And thanks to all of you for responding – it's nice to know that thoughts can still be shared on both sides and yes, I'd really truly prefer we NOT have another Bill Ayers running amok in our country. Of course that's another discussion, yes? Did you see he and Obama nearly voting at together today?

November 4, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  11. proud to be american

To tom get over it this is one of the best days in history let celebrate not hate.

November 4, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  12. LoneWarrior

Thanks Georgia....
    Nuff said about Tom (the Hater)!
    We voted, our voices were heard... Now it's time to party!

November 4, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  13. Wendall

To Kevin F. I would say it is much better to have an inexperienced VP like Palin versus an inexperienced President like Obama. My hope is the man can truly walk on water and that he won't fall off his unicorn he has been riding through this whole election.

November 4, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  14. CURIOUS

HOW IS EVERYONE FEELING SO FAR DO WE FEEL THERE WILL BE A BIG SWING FOR THE RED? AS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE?

November 4, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  15. Howdy

Yeah Tom, lets celebrate like Osama Bin Laden and his buddies are doing right now in a cave somewhere!

November 4, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  16. FUTURE VOTER!

our economy is so messed up right now i think it's time for a change in America and Obama/democrat IS THAT CHANGE!!!! GO OBAMA!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  17. Stephanie chicago

We WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  18. Stephanie via LasVegas

I wish I was there..My home Chicago I'm soooo Proud! we did it!

November 4, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |