November 4th, 2008

After casting vote, Palin discusses her future

ALT TEXT

Gov. Sarah Palin cast her vote in Wasilla, Alaska and spoke to reporters about her future.(AP PHOTO)

WASILLA, Alaska (CNN) - Sarah Palin appeared calm and confident Tuesday morning during her brief sojourn to Wasilla, Alaska, where she greeted hometown supporters and cast her ballot before departing for Phoenix to join John McCain for an election night rally.

The governor voted shortly after 7 a.m. at her former workplace, Wasilla City Hall. According to the National Weather Service, the temperature at the time was 18 degrees.

Wearing jeans and accompanied by her husband Todd, Palin told reporters who had gathered to watch her vote that she is “very optimistic.”

“Now tomorrow, I hope, I pray, I believe that I'll be able to wake up as Vice President elect, and be able to get to work in a transition mode with the President elect, John McCain,” she said.

Palin refused to say if she had voted to re-elect Republican Sen. Ted Stevens, who was convicted last week of seven felony corruption charges.

“I am also exercising my right to privacy, and I don't have to tell anybody who I vote for, nobody does, and that’s really cool about America also,” she said.

Savoring her final solo appearance as a vice presidential candidate, Palin lingered for several minutes in front of local and national media, taking question after question despite multiple attempts by her staff to end the press conference.

The campaign entourage made two coffee runs while in Wasilla, stopping first in Kaladi Coffee, where the governor ordered two lattes and five regular coffees for her secret service agents.

Before leaving the shop, Palin noticed Tuesday’s edition of the Anchorage Daily News, which led with the news that Alaska’s Personnel Board had cleared the governor of any wrongdoing in the firing of the state’s public safety commissioner. “Board exonerates Palin,” blared the paper’s front page.

Palin showed it to an aide and called it a “nice headline.”

An hour later, she made another pit stop for caffeine, this time visiting Mocha Moose, one of the town’s many free-standing coffee huts. The store’s owners had hung a red banner reading “Palin Fever” by the drive-thru window.

As she waited for her beverages, a local reporter asked the governor how she envisions her role in national politics if McCain loses the election. Palin did not hesitate to muse about a future that might not include being vice president come January.

“You know, if there is a role in national politics it won’t be so much partisan,” she said. “My efforts have always been here in the state of Alaska to get everybody to unite and work together and progress this state.”

“It would certainly be a uniter type of role,” she added.

Asked if she had any regrets about the campaign, Palin bemoaned “the state of journalism today.”

“The blogosphere, the two, three hour news cycles, where just too much is reported based on gossip and innuendo and things taken out of context,” she explained, adding that she’d like to help improve the profession because she has “great respect for the world of journalism.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. pm

She might want to go get a 100 ways to cook moose cookbook for the holidays, its warp Peggy Hill.

2. JF

I wish her no harm, but GET YOUR BUTT BACK TO ALASKA .... GOOD LUCK, AND BON VOYAGE !!!

3. young and informed independant

aside giving the VP more control and power she is already talking about doing away with free speech.

can not wait until she is gone. i don't care where either just get her outta the news. PLEASE

4. denise nc

WHAT A JOKE PALIN IS

I VOTED FOR OBAMA TODAY IN GREENSBORO, NC. I WAS VERY EXCITED. OTHER PEOPLE IN LINE WERE ALSO VOTING FOR OBAMA
    IT IS A GREAT FEELING TO HAVE A VOICE AND TO VOTE

MCCAIN AND PALIN SPREAD HATE AND DIVISION DISGUSTING TICKET.....

5. you betcha blue

I would like to write a book about her,
    Palin- The Runningmate to Nowhere

6. Sue

It sounds like palin lives in her own little world.
    Let me get this straight-does she think that journalist are dirty or are they the salt of the earth?
    Make your mind up palin-each day, she sounds more & more like Bush!

7. Betty the Beautician

Sarah Palin needs to practice what she preaches. Go check out how many times she flat out lied in her statements on factcheck. Pot calling the kettle black.

8. Van in NC

Hopefully her role will be VP for the next 4 years, then President after that.

9. Chut Pata

As per her prediction, God would do the right thing today. We hope, we pray, we believe he would throw the repubs out of Oval office.

10. Dr.T

Sorry, I dont want to see her again!

11. Jon

I am praying that I will wake up tomorrow with Joe Biden as vice-president-elect. At this momnet, even as much as relish the idea of an Obama presidency, I am longing for Palin and Joe the Plumber to sink back into obscurity and disappear like the bad dream they have been.

12. Anonymous

She incited negativity and violence in her gatherings and we don't
    need hate-mongers and false statements berating an honorable
    man. She was the enemy of the campaign. Cute but cruel.

13. NorthStarState

It will be many years before Palin is truly qualified for a national role. She is best at the local level, as she herself professes. There is no need to force people beyond what they love and are good at. Perhaps after a second term at Governor will she begin to understand the scope of leading a whole state, let alone an entire country.

14. Houston Boy

I sure do hope she runs again and wins Republican nomination next time. That will make sure Democrats stay in power for as long as she is around. Way to go, Governor!

15. Matt

...Wow...what a leader in the making to lead the free world in the 21st century!!

...Do we need a leader who is secretive of who she votes for? what else should we expect?...will she be cool enough to vote for Obama and save us all from another disastrous administration?...God only knows!!!...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7