November 4th, 2008

Schneider: Kentucky vs. Vermont

From CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

(CNN) - It's no surprise CNN has called Vermont for Barack Obama and Kentucky for John McCain. A look at the exit polls shows that both men won nearly every demographic across the board. These two states could not be more different!

Kentucky:

Vermont:

Filed under: 2008 Election • Kentucky • Vermont
  1. Derrick Richards

Well, if you watch the voting in certain states, you can see that the evangelical vote is always on the Republican side. I still believe that the candidates don't understand the power of their constituency. I am probably the only member of my church that voted for Obama. I have to bite my tongue and hold back my feelings all the time. But, always a but, long ways to go, back to the drawing board, Derrick

November 4, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  2. Bill from Kentucky

Ah yes, of course...mccain took kentucky so everyone here must be racist and ignorant..Folks Obama actually took two of the counties from the deepest part of Eastern, Ky right in the middle of Appalachia where I live...I amazed at the people with such insite into the minds of Kentuckians..I wonder how many have actually spent time here????

November 4, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  3. NO MORE DAYS TO LISTEN TO MOOSE FLATULENCE FROM THE NEWLY CROWNED 2008 MISS MOOSE ANAL SPHINCTER UNTIL 2012!

Calm down, if you have been watching for any length of time, you knew KY was never even close for Obama.

November 4, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  4. Mike S in Denver

Watch: a higher % of Kentuckians will be willing to vote for Obama than Vermontians will vote for McCain. I would suggest that it shows Kentucky is more open minded. There is a difference between being open minded and liberal, of course. And remember, Vermont elected a Senator who actually labels himself a socialist (Sanders).

November 4, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  5. Christine CT

wooga-
    Clinical psycholgist here- voted Obama.
    Didn't got to public school....

November 4, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  6. Christine CT

although you would think so, with all of my typos. sorry about that!

November 4, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  7. Michael Gross

Hey everyone, I hope you all got out to vote today! I just wanted to let you know of this hysterical video I found that makes fun of the presedential race called ANYONE CAN BE VP. It's probably the funniest video I have ever seen. Have a wonderful night, just go to youtube and put it in the search bar!

November 4, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  8. carlos

It really seems like there are still grown ups out there that don't undertand the election process.

Nobody has gotten cheated (not yet atleast)

Its way too early to call for over projection in the case of Obama.

For the kiddies out there who don't understand how this still means nothing, this is like being in the top of the first inning and the lead off hitter starts the game with a base hit.

IT MEANS NOTHING YET!!

November 4, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  9. Shellee in W.Ky

Everyone just chill. It is still very early. I voted for Obama. I really hope that this man wins. Oh and Michael I'm supprised that you found yours. I'm sure that your horse is only trained to chase cattle, right?

November 4, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  10. Jodi

Lauren,

I think it was an an uneducated response to say that those who vote for Obama do not have a high school diploma. Your lack of education is shining!

November 4, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  11. Josh C.

I figured some of you idiots would start insulting Kentucky. Did any of you idiots stop to think that Obama's energy plan hurts our state's coal business? Eastern Kentucky depends heavily on coal. That alone, is a huge reason that Obama isn't winning Kentucky.

November 4, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  12. Josh C.

Michael in Houston, I find it hilarious that a Texan would call a Kentuckian 'backwards.' Some of you people have never even stepped foot in Kentucky. You just use the media to 'educate' you. Its no wonder that you believe every stereotype in the book.

November 4, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  13. KT

Obama has got to be the MOST UNPATRIOTIC candidates to ever run for the presidency of the United States of America. GO MCCAIN and PALIN!!!!!

November 4, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  14. Jessica

First, I am a poll monitor and the government is not cheating either of the candidates. What a foolish and irresponsible thing to say.

Second, there is no point in insulting every single person in a state with one sweeping gesture. It is both ridiculous and offensive for people to generalize in that way. Frankly, such comments are disgusting, thoughtless, and uneducated. Stop.

November 4, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  15. Aes86

", it does stink that they would go for an old geezer and an ignorant beauty queen…being from that state…color matters a lot there. Always has…always will. Sad America is one of the few places where Obama's color is such an issue"

This is what scares me about Obama supporters. If you are white and don't vote for Obama you are a racist. Then to call the opponent, a man who has served his country for 30 plus years, 5 and a half of them in a POW camp an old geezer and the governor of a state who has done nothing but lower taxes, weed out corruption in her own party, and cut government spending, an ignorant beauty queen.. shows a complete lack of character and respect.

November 4, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  16. Josh C.

November 4, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  17. Patrick

Mike S in Denver, first of all people from Vermont are called Vermonters, not Vermontians. Secondly Vermont has had a Republican Governor for the last several years, I think this speaks to Vermonters abiltiy to pick the best man for the job regardless of political party. Vermonters are some of the most open minded people in the country.

November 4, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  18. Jeremy

Does any one actually know what they are talking about. Has one person who has said that Kentucky is a racist state ever met anyone from kentucky or are you guys just being ignorant stereotypical morons that you are accusing us of being?

November 4, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  19. Amira

Obama is going to win. He deserves to, he is intelligent an will make a very good president. Go Obama!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  20. jack

Lord PALIN thats why she calls her man DUDE,so he can tell her which hole to wipe,,and people would want to c her b the leader of the free world,and yes i would have voted 4 Clinton.

November 4, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  21. geokris

I couldn't agree with you more, DW.

November 4, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  22. Jon R

KT must be 8 years old. Anyone who thinks Obama is unpatriotic is obviously a racist pig.

November 4, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  23. Kentuckian for OBAMA

Interesting Michael in Houston that you would doubt Kentuckians knew where their polling places were...plenty of us came out to vote...but we have typically been a conservative state. I'm shocked that someone like you, from Texas of all places, could spell as many words correctly as you did in your comment....too bad you misspelled their.

November 4, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  24. Locke

Michael S preaching from a mountaintop about something he doesn't understand. Your whole time zone is filled with idiots, and you obviously know nothing about Vermont. They are very fiscally conservative, and have a very rural mindset. They often vote for Republicans (Their Governor for one) and are extremely open to politicians that they feel they can trust. The state actually has a large conservative and libertarian base, but they don't ascribe to the current direction of the Republican party, because the Republican party might as well be called the Evangelical oil lovers.

November 4, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  25. Aes86

"November 4th, 2008 8:19 pm ET

I would love to see the statistics of black voters this year as opposed to 2004. I would like to see the statistics of black people voting for Obama and the statistics of black people voting for McCain. That would be very interesting."

Why, that statistic doesn't matter. It's only the white voters that don't vote for Obama who are racist. If you are african american you are supposed to vote for Obama. But that's not being racist, voting for someone because of his color.

November 4, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |