November 4th, 2008

Schneider: McCain v. Obama voters

From CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

(CNN) - Voters for John McCain and Barack Obama appear to significantly differ on the qualities they want in their next president, according to the exit polls.

Of those who voted for McCain, more than 40 percent said they want a president who "shares my values," while a nearly equal margin wanted a president with experience. Only 6 percent of McCain voters said they wanted a president who could bring about change or a president who "cares about people."

But 60 percent of Barack Obama voters said they wanted a president who can bring about change, while just under 20 percent said they were looking for a leader who shares their values. Just over 15 percent of Obama voters wanted a president who "cares about people," while only 2 percent named experience as the top quality they want in their commander in chief.

Filed under: 2008 Election
  1. Jack

John McCain appealed to the racists in this country so I guess that they share his values as a bigot.

John McCain appealed to the rich and greedy in this country so I guess they also share his values.

John McCain appealed to the zealots in this country so they too share his values.

Nice going John your on a course to be worst than George Bush.

November 4, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  2. Nick

It's not rocket science to predict that economy would be the biggest factor in this election...while I don't think Democrats are best equipped to bail the country out of this turmoil, I wouldn’t hesitate to express my view that picking Sarah Palin hasn’t helped the cause at all…Mitt Romney would definitely have helped in swinging the undecided and independents while ensuring our base stays intact.

Thought????

November 4, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  3. Martha Hussein Baker for Barack

McCain voters are bitter and angry, just like their candidate. Obama gives people hope.

GOBAMA!!

YES WE CAN!

November 4, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  4. Johnny Badger

Bern,

What an open-minded comment. Your support for McCain is too transparent.

November 4, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  5. President Lincoln

And they said it would never happen!

November 4, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  6. 1stbroker

This whole election has been about poeple standing for their pick! So tired of people saying Obama isn't qualified. If he wasn't, he would not have gotten this far!! Republicans should pay Democrats the same respect that they expect. Instead, they want to tell us anything and expect us to think that just becuase they did things that way in the past they are going to "shake things up" when they get to Washington. Where's the proof?? McCain can't give you any. He just goes negative when he's asked too many questions. Sure!! Take the spot light off of the real issues. I haven't trashed McCain but his platform does not work for me. Someone with different views can only change this country. Only time will tell how. But it terrifies me to think that people are voting for McCain and he is no different from Bush! I didn't vote Bush in 2000 nor 2004. I said things were going to get bad but never could have imagined that they would have gone like this. Guess what!! This is real!! Some people will never learn. It's very unfortunate. But for now. Yes We Can!! Obama/Biden 08

November 4, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  7. Chrissy

Bern – sorry to say, but making a blanket statement like that makes it certainly seem like you are the closed minded one lacking in intelligence..c'mon, can you really believe such a thing? How can you not accept that people have many different viable reasons why they vote for who they vote for, and even if they disagree with you, that does not make them wrong, stupid, closed minded or anything for that matter....for you to judge them as such is hypocritical. Do you understand that word...?

November 4, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  8. Ryan

Barack Obama is the guy who can bring about change.

Obama/Biden '08

November 4, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  9. Progressive

Traditionalist activism emerges out of a fear of the complexities of modernity...

Remember that VOTING is just like driving: if ya wanna go FORWARD you put it in (D) and if ya wanna go in REVERSE... well you get it...

I wonder if Bush will trash the whitehouse before he leaves... I've seen the movie "W."

November 4, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  10. Amy

Just think about all the experience George Bush had running businesses into the ground. If only 2% of Obama voters said experience was important, only 6% of McCain voters said experience was important. No wonder McCain's "I have the experience" campaign did not work – noone was listening.

November 4, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  11. nj

So a sign of voting b/c of color?! Typical

November 4, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  12. Spread the wealth

You bet we want change. The great socialist movement has begun and we need to hit those rich people with 35%+ tax on their fat 401k's.

November 4, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  13. Doc

bern: What kind of fantasy world are you living in with the comment Obama supporters are "smarter"? Check your demographics please.

November 4, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  14. Daniel

"Comparatively not as intelligent?" Speaking as an Obama voter, I think that claim might be unfair.

November 4, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  15. Frustrated Conservative

I voted for Obama for 3 reasons:
    1) No Confidence of the Republican past 8 years and lack of believable plan for future.
    2) The attack culture of the Republican party, almost 3rd World.
    3) The choice of Palin was an absolute aweful choice that was the nail in the coffin for me.

November 4, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  16. nj

BLACK PANTHER intimidation is just a glimpse into what to expect of obama is president.
    unbelievable!!

McCain all the way!!!!

November 4, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  17. j.

tell me im racist for not voting for obama because hes black.
    you're voting for him because hes black. youre the racist ones.

November 4, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  18. Ike

Obama/Bidden are gonna change this world we live in. Who ever does not think so, is not very smart or makes too much money

November 4, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  19. Jean, Houston, TX

The main difference I've observed is that Obama voters say they want a government that empowers individuals to pursue their goals, talents and dreams; but that also protects and serves people as only a government entity can (National Defense, roads, schools, etc.). In general they seem more hopeful.

McCain voters, on the other hand, seem to want a "Daddy" government that forces their personal religious or spiritual values onto individuals (they KNOW when life begins, they KNOW same-sex marriage is wrong, they KNOW everyone should accept wire-tapping, etc.). In general, they seem more fearful.

November 4, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  20. Just Ducky

I could not live with myself if I shared McCain's values.

November 4, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  21. Lauren N

I voted Obama, he is going to change this country. Go OBAMA!!!!!

November 4, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  22. Simone NC

Obama!!!!!!

I hope Americans show themselves and the world that we are open to change real change and steering away from the cowboy antics of people like bush and McCain who think the only waY to solve problems is to make war!!!

November 4, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  23. arkay

McCain represents the past and the American people are thinking about the future.

November 4, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  24. Christine

Obama represents hope, and we set forth our warrior! May change prevail and may we regain the respect of the World with OUR choice!
    Blue Girl in a Red State.

November 4, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  25. mark

As an Obama voter, I feel this nation needs a far more intelligent person in the Oval Office than the past 8 years. I want a VP with experience, not one who idnetifies with an org that want to secede from the Union. I also voted for the candidate that told me more about what his administration would try to accomplish as opposed to one that told me nothing.

I am a registered independent.

November 4, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |