November 4th, 2008

Schneider: McCain v. Obama voters

From CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

(CNN) - Voters for John McCain and Barack Obama appear to significantly differ on the qualities they want in their next president, according to the exit polls.

Of those who voted for McCain, more than 40 percent said they want a president who "shares my values," while a nearly equal margin wanted a president with experience. Only 6 percent of McCain voters said they wanted a president who could bring about change or a president who "cares about people."

But 60 percent of Barack Obama voters said they wanted a president who can bring about change, while just under 20 percent said they were looking for a leader who shares their values. Just over 15 percent of Obama voters wanted a president who "cares about people," while only 2 percent named experience as the top quality they want in their commander in chief.

Filed under: 2008 Election
  1. Billy Bob

I dune vote for McCain! He don't need none of that there city edukation! My momma done gave me birth and dhe same day I done start to work! We dun't need no city boy with his store bought edukation come and tell us country boys what to do!

Yehaw!

November 4, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  2. Jeremy

"Of those who voted for McCain, more than 40 percent said they want a president who "shares my values,"
    ==============================
    ok its "values" this time.... "morals" last time... always living in some self sentered box concerned with yourselves and not what this country is becoming.

November 4, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  3. TJ in MD

The ironic thing is that with all the experience O brings to the table, if he wins, both parties may end up looking barack at these as 'good old days.'

November 4, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  4. Big Dave in FL

If Obama wins I guess I will sell my business and join the rest of the 40% of Americans who don't pay federal income taxes so then maybe I can get a handout as well. Something for doing nothing, the way of the democrats. It is sad situation.

November 4, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  5. Simone NC

Finally no more awful commercials from the McCain campaign and no more racist ones from Senator Dole.

I pray Obama wins and I pray fro nj for the "black panther intimation" comment it was rude and ignorant and indicative of the McCain party and the change they are NOT really trying to make.

November 4, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  6. jason

Ilive in canada and I think its time the USA puts there pants on and vote for obama

November 4, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  7. SR

John McCain is a wealthy man with few houses but Obama has one house and he went to one of the top school for his degree, He was not born rich so he would know the pain of main street such as schooling, job loss and other day to day issue. We are in hole because of the wrong foreign policy, and I believe that the 9/11 was also result of these policies. I never understood that why Bush administration went after Iraq and not Afghanistan, as OBL hideout ia afghanistan and not IRAQ.. They went after Iraq 's oil :-). If Bush administration have adopted the different resolution instead of IRAQ War, the country would be not be in economic crises. I would like to give chance to Obama, as he is backed by proven leaders auch as Bill Clinton who left the country with surplus, Collin Powel with military experience, Joe Bidden who is atleast experience with foreign policies and warren Buffe, who is authority on ecpnomics. However, John McCain , may not even have education as of Obama or Sarah Palin , my God , with the canadian prank call, the way she is talking and can be pranked , just think what she would do if some one calls and tell her that something serious happen , she may order " ATTACK " on Chaina instead of Iran , becuase of her geography knowledge. God Bless America and hope people select democrates and not repblican ticket with sarah Palin, please readers dont get me wrong, I like some policies of republicans and John McCain as war hero but his choice of running mate made me think about his ability of Judgement.. So Pray GOD BLESS AMERICA and PEOPLE OF AMERICA to make the right choice. THX for reading my long comment

November 4, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  8. TJ in MD

Simply put: there is good change and bad change, necessary change and change for the sake of change. I've never heard O's definition, however. Nor anything I would call a specific.

November 4, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  9. Ike

Health, Longevity, Dedication, Change, Effectiveness of Running mates, Caring about People, Views on world preservation, wanting to change our curuptedness on the world. All this spells OBAMA
    what more can I say OBAMA is the right Man for the Job.

November 4, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  10. Eric

In response to CHRISSY, If mccain had a crappy campaign what do you think that will reflect on him being president. Obama all the way, We need a change simply because the current and future methods of mccain have and are not working.

November 4, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  11. aallen

I refuse to validate the corrupt actions of the DNC in stealing the primary for Obama. This lifelong democrat will NOT be voting for Obama. Thanks to the DNC for proving Dems can steal an election just like the Republicans!

November 4, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  12. Joe

Yeah, Obama is going to bring "change" all right....except that it will be "oops, that's not the kind of change I wanted."

November 4, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  13. Mary in Vancouver, BC Canada

I along with a goodly percentage of Canadians have been watching the proceedings leading up to your election. The whole world is watching and if McCain wins, the American people will get what they deserve after voting George Bush in for a second term. "No minds" never learn. My hope is that are more intelligent people in America who will override the "no minds". Obviously Kentucky is populated by the less than intelligent types. Good luck to Obama and the American people!

November 4, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  14. Mike

40% want someone who shares their value and 6% want someone who cares about people. Does that mean that 38% of McCain voters do not care about other people?

November 4, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  15. BJ Moritz

McCain supporters are bloody selflish. All they care about is me, me, me. Obama will take all of MY money. Share MY values (that's as closed-minded a statement as they come.. and it's ironic given that McCain cheated on his crippled wife with Cindy.. hmm). And the sad thing is, a heck of a lot of them are extremely religious. Jesus preached giving to the needy, not freaking out at the idea of being taxed in order to repair a very broken country with A LOT of debt.

I love Obama. I woke up this morning and just cried for joy when I realized election day was finally here. Finally the nightmare of George W. Bush will be over! Finally we will have a leader we can be proud of! Finally America will be a great country again!

OBAMA/BIDEN for the win!

November 4, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  16. Lost in Texas FOREVER

to the people posting about this Black Panther stuff..PLEASE give a link or something because other than here I have seen nor heard nothing about it. I for one didn't even think this group still existed.

November 4, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  17. sd

Obama/McCain '08!!

GO USA!!!

November 4, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  18. New york

Go Obahmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have fate for u

November 4, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  19. New york

Obhama!!!!!!!! obhama!!!!!!!! obhama will change this country

November 4, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  20. foofoo

even my dad who lands in the category of fiscal republican (who even voted for Bush because of money reasons)..even HE couldnt bring himself to vote for McCain after he picked Sarah Palin as his running mate.

also...Why is religion slowly seeping into everything that governs our lives? Do we feel threatened by Islam and feel like we have to up the anty on our christian-ness? Because in doing so we're becoming just as bad as any religious totalitarian state.

SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE. and that means no pandering to someone just because they are the same religion as you.

November 4, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  21. Indiana_Chris

I wanted to Nominate SNOOP DAWG!

He can't do worse than the outgoing administration.....

And we would be a lot more safe! Who needs Secret Service when you have the NWA?!

Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yeah
    Snoop Dawg is in the f_____ng white house!

November 4, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  22. New york

obhama we need u to change this country

November 4, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  23. Watching from Canada

What America needs is a leader with vision, a commitment for change and belief in the future of the USA. Change is good "idea" ... but what people are looking for is someone to make them feel good.

Unfortunately only one of the candidates has had the courage to change anything ... and she running for vice president.

We are holding our breathe in Canada ... change ... we'll see ...

November 4, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  24. Ron Rodgers

I f I was voting for Obama because he was black, I would be :"Stupid". Reason being, If Obama had the same ideas and values as John McCain, he would most definitely not get my vote. He's getting my vote because he's "RIGHT ON TIME". We need him and it was in deed his time. GO OBAMA!!!! Ron New York, New York

November 4, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  25. DR

How could and intelligent person truly believe Obama has the qualifications to be the president? Name his qualifications please! Truth is he doesnt. This has turned out to be nothing but a popularity contest not a question of who is qualified. Its embarrasing. If Im hiring someone for a job I want the best qualified not someone that just talks big but has no credentials to back it up. Plain and simple!

November 4, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |