November 4th, 2008

Schneider: Race played a role

Obama's race boosted his results.
Obama's race boosted his results.

(CNN) - So, did race play a role? Yes, but it worked in Obama's favor.

About 20 percent of voters said race was important in how they voted, and those people voted for Obama by an 11-point margin, 55 percent to 44 percent. That means more people voted for Obama because of his race than against him. So much for the "Bradley effect."

And of the 80 percent of voters who said race was not a factor in their decision voted nearly the same way, breaking for Obama 53 percent to 45 percent. That means race played a role, but it was not a decisive factor.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. STOP PLAYING THE RACE CARD

The fact that Obama is a DEMOCRAT is what helped him. People, including ex-Republicans such as myself, are tired of the disgrace formerly known as "GOP".

OBAMA-BIDEN 2008

November 4, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  2. Typical White Person

Of course race played a role. Ask the majority of his black supporters and they haven't a clue what his platform is (except for free money - see the video of the black woman who thinks her mortgage and gas will be paid for?). Howard Stern had people out in Harlem putting McCain's platform with Obama's name and they agreed with it, just because they thought it was Obama's. Idiots. Congratulations, the poor, give me handout blacks just screwed the entire hardworking white country.

November 4, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  3. Anonymous

Senator Obama crossed color, cultural and gender lines in this race for president. It is a testament to the integrity of the citizens of this country to see past color to embrace hope for change. Senator Obama is the man that can put this country back on a strong foundation and lead us to a better future for all.

November 4, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  4. Boudewijn Piscaer

People seem to be more clever then the language used especially in the US.
    They voted for the color of the soul, not the skin. Why do we call someone who is 75 % white and 25 % black still black? Obama is not black, not white, just an American with a better skin color then I have . Time to grow up is now and shed the pains of the past. We are stopping polarization into black-white in practice, not in language yet. But this moment is as historical as the fall of the Berlin wall.

November 4, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  5. Dana

He was totally judged by the color of his skin by black people.

November 4, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  6. CTurner, Durham, NC

Race was a small factor. Bush was a huge factor. Very simply, a lot of people couldn't stand the idea of 4 more years of George Bush. McCain waited until the last week of the campaign before denouncing Bush's policies, but by then it was too late. A lot of other GOP candidates are losing because of Bush, and race plays no part because both candidates are white.

November 4, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  7. mike

does anyone moderate some of these moronic and ignorant comments? you are about to lose so prepare to cry republicans , boo hoo, hahahah

November 4, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  8. rebecca

race did not play important role in my book, even as young black women. my decision was about who is capable of running thiscountry with honor and humility. obama is the man who will run this country because unstands the peoples needs and not his own, he has the means to influence diversity to this country. because we are many cultures and nations in one

November 4, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  9. v

its a sad day when people are voting for abblack man just to prove to them selves and others that they are not racist rather then vote on best man for the job so was he given a fair shot im afraid he was just made to be a demigod rather then an canidate

November 4, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  10. HouseDiva

change feels good!

November 4, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  11. Edison

Create jobs
    Tax fairly. Flat tax
    Pay off the debt
    Make peace
    Then think about social welfare and health care

November 4, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  12. Jan

It does make a difference. When people have never participated in a presidential election and they do so only because of the color of one's skin becomes an issue of race. Policy (national and world) experience, etc. is not even given a second thought (well, maybe – what he can do for ME not the country -mentality).

It appears to me that Mr. Obama surrounded himself with very bright people from the beginning of his campaign. Should he be elected, I trust he will continue doing so.

As for me – I don't care about the color of one's skin, eyes, hair or party line. Just give me someone that will bring intelligence and a true willingness to bring this Country back together and show the world we are the UNITED states.

"divided we fall"

November 4, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  13. zhardan

There are more qualified people for president than the two candidates and their running mates. It's sad why of the great people of USA we have to choose only of this two.

November 4, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  14. Steve from PA

Of course race mattered!

The black community is incredibly prejudiced against whites. Does anyone think that Rev. Wright is an exception in the black community? When you can preach that AIDS is a white govt. conspiracy and be believed in the black community, that pretty much says it all.

Obama went to Wright's church for DECADES. We should all be very, very concerned about what Obama really thinks and what he would be willing to impose as a penalty for past grievances as taught by guys like Wright.

November 4, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  15. Allen

I'm black I voted for Barack because the last 8 years was not fair at all. Bush tax cuts for the rich is just a very sick thing! I voted for Bush. The performance of the financial markets led by the Repubs and the utter greed in the real estate market is why John McCain and his "Bush" staff is losing! This aint about race at all! Why didn't the Religious Right stand up against the Republican greed?

Time to pay up rich folk! Your turn to pay! We carried you the last 8 years. Your turn to pay! Now Pay Up!

I actually feel sorry for Barack. Why does the brotha's always get the Cadillac with 150,000 miles on it! This country is leaking oil and the transmission is BAD!

November 4, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  16. Janel

Today, I am ever so proud to be an american......maybe next election it'll be a woman!!!! The world needs change to evolve....we cannot stay the same forever...NO ON 8!!!!!

November 4, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  17. BobC

It was his youth, his vision, his strength of message. I couldn't care if he's black! While McCain was all over the place ("paling around with terrorists," the most ridiculous), Obama stayed on the subject: the economy, health care, etc.

I'm old enough to remember JFK. I was too young to vote for him, but he inspired me. And that's what Obama has done with young voters. If you get the chance, watch the CNN interview with Bow Wow. I was very surprised to hear how smart and inspirational he is.

November 4, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  18. Tiffany

Not on my voting choice race was not a factor at all. I like Obama for his character, and politics.

I am proud to see that Obama won NH
    It makes me even more patriotic of my own state

It will be a great accomplishment for out country if he wins
    I'll finally be able to say the pledge with my whole heart.

Its time for positive change, and only Obama can bring it to us

November 4, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  19. Brandon

I think this article is silly. If you are racist and vote against Obama because you don't want a black president, chances are you are not going to tell people that race was a factor in your vote. If you are a minority and voted for Obama, not only because is would be a great President but because he represents the fact that if you work hard, study hard and be a good steward of your community you can be President regardless of your race...well then they will say race was a factor. And to Chris (above). I'm sure your Rich business owners will love your loyalty by voting to cut their taxes. Maybe they might reward you by bringing your good paying job back from another country! Don't hold your breath.

November 4, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  20. Tiffany

I am proud to see that Obama won NH
    It makes me even more patriotic of my own state

It will be a great accomplishment for out country if he wins
    I'll finally be able to say the pledge with my whole heart.

Its time for positive change, and only Obama can bring it to us

November 4, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  21. GOP Lost

Who knows or cares about if race played a part, Mc Cain with no message to take to the voting booth ,still don't get Joe the plumber Joes six pack, etc, and they had no way to win after Mcain picked Sarah Palin as his VP, he could have won with another VP choice, his campaign people are still saying she was the best thing that happened to the campaign, must be a lack of oxygen on those planes they are traveling in.

November 4, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  22. Brianna

I highly disagree that Obama's race is playing a role in this issue. Theres many other things to look besides his race,for instance,political views and hows he's going to shaping america up.

November 4, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  23. lee75

We have come a long way for race not to matter any more than that. God Bless America.

November 4, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  24. David

Tell us something we dont know you morons

November 4, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  25. Betty

Obama is going to divide this country more than Bush with his liberal agenda. I do not agree with him on any issue. So right from the start he is unfavorable with me. He is going to bring this country down and all of you that voted for him only have yourselves to thank.

November 4, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |