November 4th, 2008

Schneider: Voters say economy stinks

Voters register sour mood on economy.
Voters register sour mood on economy.

(CNN) - Voters had a particularly pessimistic view of the nation's economy, the exit polls show. Only 6 percent said the economy was in excellent or good condition, while 93 percent said it was poor.

Voters are slightly more optimistic about the future Just less than 50 percent say the economy will get better over the next year, while a quarter think it will stay the same. But more than 20 percent predict that the economy will get worse.

One rule in politics: When the economy is bad, it is always the No. 1 issue, and it usually hurts the incumbent party.

Filed under: Economy
  1. Donna

we didn't need an article to tell us that the economy stinks....

November 4, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  2. E

The economy is bad? really? I had no idea!! I thought I just threw away 20% of my savings overnight and didn't remember doing it...

November 4, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  3. African in the States

Yeah, I can smell it

November 4, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  4. California Gold

Would someone send a memo to Phil Gramm that 93% of the voters in this article think the economy stinks. The article doesn't talk about voters whining or thinking it's a mental recession. Nope. 93% of the voters think the economy stinks. Sorry Mr. Gramm.

November 4, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  5. Ricardo

I'm sorry but I can't stand Bill Schneider on TV. He should stick to print articles like these or behind the scenes work. He's not very appealing on television. Sorry...

November 4, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  6. Jordan

Which is exactly why I voted for Bob Barr! Good luck with either of the other idiots as far as the economy goes...

November 4, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  7. tennisguypitt

That doesn't surprise me!

November 4, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  8. showtime

yeah i agree it stinks

November 4, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  9. Jim

Yes it does. However, it's at the hands of the democrats. The economic conditions have nothing to do with the White House Administration. I guess all the Obama supporters will get an economic lesson...the hard way.

November 4, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  10. Not Fooled in Chicago

The doom & gloom with regard to the media has solely been created by a liberally biased media to enhance Obama's chances. If you have worked hard and become a success in life, at whatever you do, the economy is just fine! But some of you would rather sit back and let others take care of you. Well guess what, the empty suit will be elected and the economy will tank! Republicans, who by the way, make up the vast majority of business owners will say the heck with Obama's socialist vision and just retire and fold their businesses. And yes, they will still be the affluent ones and the rest of you will be out of work.

November 4, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  11. Jean, Houston, TX

Hey Ricardo, get a grip! I loooove Bill Schneider! He's intelligent, intelligible and warm. What kind of "appeal" are you looking for? Maybe you should try Jack Cafferty!

November 4, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  12. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

It will be an uphill battle no matter who wins. Clinton left a surplus and a balanced budget. Bush is leaving two wars, highest deficit, recession, job loss... a total mess.

Now if the GOP will just give Obama more time than Valentine's Day to solve all the problems ... we may have a chance!

November 4, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  13. dp

After 8 years of Republican rule, involving the US in two wars, one of which was absolutely needless and placing our economy in ruins, change is finally of the way. Although the tasks at hand are enormous, Obama will ultimately be one of the better presidents this country has had in modern times. Obama '08.

November 4, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  14. Santa Fean

Bush legacy. The worst president ever.

IF, I say IF, Obama really does work for energy independence it will change America for the better....by far. Almost too simple to understand how profound it could be for our economy. Think about it for 5 seconds and let's hold Obama to his promise! CONGRATS MR. PRESIDENT OBAMA!

November 4, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  15. David

Should have voted for Ron Paul... then you would get *REAL* change.

November 4, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  16. Michael

Yes, the economy is terrible, especially up here in Alaska. I am seeking an online college BA degree and hope to find suitable work in the lower 48 when I graduate in Spring 2009.

As a Disabled Retired Veteran, I am feeling the sour state of our nation: AWFUL!

November 4, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |