November 4th, 2008

Should we trust exit polls?

Sen. John Kerry (D-MA).
Sen. John Kerry (D-MA).

(CNN) – Remember the exit polls during the Bush-Kerry race?

Ask President Kerry how much faith we should put on exit polls.

Point: If the exit polls are as wrong this year as they were four years ago, we might expect to see a closer race in some battleground states than people suspect. May not be enough to turn the electoral map upside down, but stay tuned.

Filed under: Exit Polls
  1. Angelo

Exit polls prevent people from voting, and so does network news. If you live on the West Coast where the polls close at 11pm EST, you already know the projected winner. Why vote if you already know who the winner is? Also I think no results should be released until the last poll closes.

November 4, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  2. Oaklea

These polls seem to be fixed jusrt like horse races...,,,,,I dont trust any of them.

Does anybodies vote count any more?...Im discusted with this country..

November 4, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  3. Sanjay

Absolutely NOT....and I believe and expect the educated people to do the same.

November 4, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  4. Marco

Republicans with OBAMA!!!!!

November 4, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  5. Anonymous

Stop with the exit poll garbage. Being the first News outlet to report the results is worthless if it is not accurate.

November 4, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  6. berry

OBAMA FO YO MAMMA

November 4, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  7. jus

The predicted that Karl Rove would fix the election with John McCain winning 51%. Somebody should look into this. See Spoonamore on youtube.

November 4, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  8. willy

Angela seeing your from Canada you should keep your trap shut

November 4, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  9. nichol

I don't like exit polls because not everyone answers and you get a false prediction that may influence someone who hasn't voted yet.

November 4, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  10. yogidad

Exit polls are used to detect voter fraud the world over. Only Americans would instinctively discredit them.

November 4, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  11. Olivia

I think some people might want Obama but once they enter booths, things change. Unfortunate, and anyone remember Florida?

November 4, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  12. Greg in California

When I leave the polls and anyone asks me how I voted, I tell them exactly the opposite....just to confuse them.

November 4, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  13. Julie in Seattle

GO MCCAIN!!!

November 4, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  14. Melime

People lie in polls. The only result that counts is the one that comes out of the ballot box.

November 4, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  15. Pinehurst, NC

Bring our Troops Home!

November 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  16. DERRICK A. HARRIS

I WILL BLESS THE LORD AT ALL TIMES,HIS PRAISE SHALL ALWAYS BE IN MY MOUTH.
    WHEN I AM IN NEED I GO TO THE ROCK;JESUS CHRIST THE LORD.
    YOU BETTER COME BACK TO GOD,UNITED STATES.

BE BLESSED.. GOD BLEESED THIS COUNTRY FOR YEARS AND LOOK WHAT WE HAVE DONE. IF WE LET THE REPUBLICANS IN AGAIN THIS COUNTRY WILL SLIDE DOWN JUST AS GOD PREDICTED..

November 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  17. Jay

Polls are a sham. they are either sponsored by a biased party or designed by one. They frequently leave candidates and issue completely out. They have misleading questions (yes or no: have you stopped beating your wife?) and target select populations.
    They are a tool used to abuse our politcal system.
    As for exit polls, they are useless. people lie on them, pollsters alter data. They are driven by marketing and news sales.
    Every freaking election the 'news sources' start calling the election before many states main voting population get out of work.

November 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  18. Charles

They Democrats need to keep paying attention to this election.Because i really don't trust those machine,something must be wrong we need we need a clean election.

November 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  19. Brian

I really don't think that exit polls are good for anything the night of an election. I would think that the only true benefit is after the fact in analyzing the information after the fact. The idea that a race can be predicted from exit pollling is in fact a farse. As you say, President Kerry will confirm his support for them as well.

November 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  20. Gmoney

Honestly, who deserves the presidency? Obviously McCains military record shows he loves this country as apposed to most democrats in this country who want to destroy it from within government.

November 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  21. E

Exit polls have been shown to be meaningless, why even ask this?

November 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  22. Mark F

It appears as though this will be a close one. Exit polls within 10% of each other, might as well just take a best guess.

November 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  23. Kiki

I agree, same thing would most likely happen..Obama appeared to be winning and he should win and WOW..all of a sudden guess who es winning. Mccain.
    well who are the one who owe the ballot Machines..republicans..right there is said it all..they will never vote for a democratic president even more when we are so raicist

November 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  24. Jennifer

I would love to wait until everything is counted, but when exactly does that happen–I don't think I have ever even seen anything close to a "final count." I am still waiting for a final count from 2000, so I don't know if we have ever received one. Please let me know where I can get that real final number.

November 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  25. ANONYMOUS 1

Aside from the fact that exit polls are a bunch of garbage. Our entire electoral procedure is garbage. It is so broken and fraudulent.

Just remember to buy your guns now... they will be gone soon.

November 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |