November 4th, 2008

Some absentee ballots MIA in NM county

Some voters took advantage of early voting in New Mexico.
Some voters took advantage of early voting in New Mexico.

(CNN) - Officials in Dona Ana County, New Mexico say they are having problems with absentee ballots. But it's unclear just how many voters may not see their vote count.

Jess Williams, public information officer for the county, said of 11,985 absentee ballots requested, 8,141 have been processed. As of midday Tuesday, the number of outstanding absentee ballots is 3,844.

And the Bureau of Elections is still getting calls from residents who have not yet received their absentee ballots, Williams said. He said those voters may go to the polling place where they are registered to request a provisional ballot and they will be allowed to vote.

While that may be an option for some, many voters vote absentee because health problems keep them from going to the polls. Others are away at college, in the military, or out of town for other reasons, and showing up in person may not be possible.

In order to be counted, absentee ballots must reach the county clerk's Office no later than 7pm local time on election day. Absentee ballots also can be delivered to polling places on election day, but only the voter can deliver it.

Both Democrats and Republicans in the county say they are getting calls from voters who feel they've been left out.

Chris Salas, a spokesman for the county Democratic party, said the party office was getting "tons of calls" from people complaining because they have not gotten ballots. Gen Mitchell, a volunteer at the Dona Ana County Republican party, said "legally they were supposed to have them [absentee ballots] out, and they didn't get them out."

Filed under: New Mexico • Voter Problems
  1. Clinton

I think McCain made a horrible mistake when he nominated Sarah Palin as VP. She has NO CLUE what so ever what a VPs role is. If McCain wins I hate to see our countrys future if what everone says about Palin for 2012 is true. It would be like putting Jessica Simpson or Paris Hilton in as President. All three women are NOT the brightest bulb in the box.

If Obama wins he may not survive the four years he is elected to office. There has already been an attempt on his life. The crazy people will come out of the woodwork and make many more attempts on his life. If Obama is Elected to office I HOPE that the AFRICAN AMERICANS QUIT USING THE RACISIM CARD. An African American can not get a higher position in our country than the President!!!!!

November 4, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  2. Gerie

What is CNN thinking by showing a black woman saying"I never thought that I would see the day when blacks would rule America"? It is as if you are inciting fear from whites who are not sure yet about their own views on race and encouraging them to vote for McCain.

November 4, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  3. Anonymous

i am republican as my grandfather, and father. none of us received our absentee ballots. Only my brother received his absentee ballot and he is a registered libertarian. (and this is all to the same address)

November 4, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  4. Eye roller

Hey, I have news for you, my Absentee ballot did not count for ANYTHING when I lived outside of the country, neither do our votes in reality. The Electoral college votes for whomever they want.

But, I still say that I have hopes that my votes actually DO count someday. So, I still do it.

November 4, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  5. Maria from Georgia

This is Insane! There is no acceptable Excuse for this many people to not have received their absentte ballots. Something smells really fishy.

November 4, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  6. bridgette

How about contacting those people and recording the call and allowing them to vote verbaly. We make things way more complicated than they need to be.

November 4, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  7. Harry C

REPUGS stop your whining !

November 4, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  8. Sam

ahhh good ol' new mexico. you never fail to disappoint me.

granted i am from bernallio county, not dona ana, and thankfully i put in my request for my ballot wayyy long ago so i could vote absentee from the great city of lawrence, kansas.

but seriously new mexico, first the drunk voting incident, now this? does my home state have any sense of pride or concern for our national identity left?

November 4, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  9. Mrs.L

TO THE FIRST FOOL KNOWN AS NOBAMA:::::

WHAT BLACK PANTHERS????????

YOU ARE A IDIOT!!!!!!

WAKE UP THESE ACCUSATIONS WONT WORK THIS TIME

November 4, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  10. Kent Gilliam (Dallas)

Are you kidding me? You wait until election day to report you haven't received your absentee ballot! What crap! The republicans will love to jump on this as the reason they lose.

November 4, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  11. Jeff

Higher taxes if Obama wins??? But but but....that would mean that Obama lied to us =oP

November 4, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  12. Kari Allaria

The day OF the election is not the day to complain about not receiving your absentee ballot, not sure how that is the GOP's fault that these lazy people waited till today to complain about it!!!!

November 4, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  13. Sue

Does not surprize me regarding the absentee ballots gone missing I believe the republicans are the culprits....as usual
    Obama-Biden all the way
    NY

November 4, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  14. John

Quote from above:
    "Mark my words, with Obama as President and Congress controlled by Democrats we are in for high taxes, bigger deficits, bigger government, and very high unemployement."

Hmmmmm. Sorry to break this to you, but that is exactly what Bush and his wrecking crew gave us. Under Clinton, we had lower taxes, smaller deficits, smaller government, and lower unemployment. Bush took us the opposite direction.

Eventually, hopefully today, the voters will pay attention to the facts and not the myths and lies put forth by the Republican negativity machine.

November 4, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  15. Roxann

This is just sad........

November 4, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  16. BeauMan

Here we go with more ridiculous Democrats screaming foul play. Ever consider the fact that about 1/2 of the people running the polls are Democrats? If Obama doesn't win a state, it's the Republican machine cheating; if there are no problems with the voting location, and Obama doesn't win the state, it's because of the racists voting for McCain. You liberals have been working your lies, hiding the truth, and utilizing the liberal media for free! What more could you ask for in this election?

November 4, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |