November 4th, 2008

Turnout causes slow voting in parts of VA

Voters wait in line to cast their ballots at Lyles Crouch School on Election Day November 4, 2008 in Alexandria, Virginia.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Some 50 percent of the registered voters in Chesapeake, Virginia showed up to the polls early to vote Tuesday morning causing long wait times, according to a spokesman at the Virginia Board of Elections.

Officials do not believe there were technical problems causing the lines, however some voting locations in the area were experiencing problems with optical scanner voting as wet ballots did not scan properly. It rained in parts of Virginia election day.

At a press conference for reporters election board officials said the wet ballots would be collected and secured and once dry tabulated by officials in front of official observers.

Voting crowds have since thinned out and Virginia election officials are expecting more lines as people leave work and come to the polls to vote.

Reports of lines in the Virginia Beach region are also due to a heavy volume of voters. The region is one of the largest municipalities in the state and has seen consistent voter turnout Tuesday, officials said.

The lines had about a 30 minute wait at 4pm eastern Tuesday, and to make things move faster election officials at the voting locations split the paper voter logs among the staff to allow more voters to check in faster, according to Jessica Lane, a spokesman at the Virginia Board of Elections.

There are no reports of equipment malfunctions, Lane said. The Virginia Beach voter region uses touch-screen electronic voting machines.

Filed under: Virginia • Voter Problems
  1. Lisa

Why is it that Virginia is having all of these problems? Is it because they are trying to rig the election like they did for Bush?

November 4, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  2. Barbara in NC

I hope those with wet ballots got a receipt so there can be a recount. I don't trust the republicans at all. Not after the last two fiascos.

November 4, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  3. Barbara in NC

If McCain and Palin are the best the republicans have to offer, that party needs to be done away with. Looks like they've hit the bottom of the barrel.

November 4, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  4. Chris from St. Louis

Virginia is probably the worst state this time in polling issues ...

November 4, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  5. Jamie

Took me less than 10 min. total to vote in Norfolk!
    gOBAMA!

November 4, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  6. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

Just curious ... how did the ballots get wet?

In VA, I am concerned that those sending false election information (GOP vote on Tuesday – Democrats vote on Wednesday) is being treated as a joke! The perp should be jailed and the commissioner should be replaced immediately. Who paid for the mailing cost?

November 4, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  7. scott l

Isnt it funny how we go to other countries and show them how to vote when in the USA we still have a problems every 4 yrs. and whats this I hear about some absintee votes not going to be counted until friday?

November 4, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  8. Independent white female patriotic voter

I hope that the people in VA have th patience to wait and vote for Obama!

November 4, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  9. David E. Cowen

Don't you love democracy? Isn't this wonderful?

November 4, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  10. E.Merkur

Next time, why don't we outsouce this Vote Counting to WalMart or Costo. Something tells me they have no problem tallying up their pennies at the end of the day, i doubt they ever drop a chad, have a mis-read on a scanner, or have people waiting in lines for 4 hours.

November 4, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  11. Jesse Burkhardt

Disgusting that in this country, election after election, we have these problems and they are never fixed. That tells me some people have a stake in making sure these problems continue, so they can "steer" elections their way. It's wrong, and unacceptable.

November 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  12. bridgette

We as American citizens forgot for a second how much power we had. I am glad our memory is coming back.

November 4, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  13. zubaidah

How did the ballots get wet? Shady?

November 4, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  14. bill longsworth

i just voted in chesapeake and waited about 50 minutes the line moved pretty steady and the poll workers were great

November 4, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  15. Krysee

There wasn't a line at all in Bedford, VA in the middle of the day. The problem, I think, is trying to get too many people to take turns. What's up with voting on a work day anyway? No other civilized country in the world does this, it's madness.

November 4, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  16. Anonymous

As soon as the Republicans get booted out, proper electoral reforms will occur to take care of these reocurring election land mines set for the American people by the Republicans to steal elections!!!

November 4, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  17. barbara campbell

No lines here in Asheville, NC. Most people voted early – for Senator Obama!

November 4, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  18. Betty

I voted in Va. Beach, It took me 2 hours. We were all laughing and talking, sharing rain gear it was wonderful. You could feel the excitement in the air. It did not matter if you were voting for Obama or McCain, we were Americans doing our duty for our country! We got in line at 545 am this morning and I made to work on time! Virginia can be proud! We are making history!

November 4, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  19. Annette

Has anyone noticed that it's the "swing states" and places where the vote is expected to be close, where these things happen? I voted in California just after 8 a.m. (I figured I would get there after the people who had to be at work at 8 cleared out). There was no wait at all. I was told that it was crowded earlier, but everyone got taken care of.

November 4, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  20. Bugs

No problem at my polling place in NoVA.

November 4, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  21. Virginia Christian

No only is the fate of our nation on the line – the future of our Supreme Court will be decided in today's election. Our country's foundation of Christianity must remain strong.

November 4, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  22. sms

I waited 1 /2 hours in line to vote this am.........cake walk compared to the 2 1/2 hours I waited in line at the wake of the son of a friend who was killed in service to our country. He went twice to Iraq and once to Afghanistan. We personally have lost two young men due to the incompetency of the Bush Administration. I'm sure we are not alone in our losses.

I thank John Mcain for his service to our country, but that does not buy him the election.?

My grandfather fought in WWI, lost 2/3 of his lung because of mustard gas, three of my uncles were pows in WWII and the fourth was a pow in Vietnam, three boys I knew lost their lives in Vietnam, two only three months after arriving there and the third a Navy pilot who was missing in action for 25 years. Is John Mc Cain better than any of these men, any more qualified to be president? I don't think so.

I hope people wait inline for as long as it takes. This is a very important t election.

November 4, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  23. honey15390

I voted in VA Beach today and yes the lines were long but it was well worth it for a change!

November 4, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  24. Lily D

How can the US think about "exporting" democracy to the middle east when they haven't solved the very simple problems in their own back yard ....

November 4, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |