November 4th, 2008

Turnout causes slow voting in parts of VA

Voters wait in line to cast their ballots at Lyles Crouch School on Election Day November 4, 2008 in Alexandria, Virginia.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Some 50 percent of the registered voters in Chesapeake, Virginia showed up to the polls early to vote Tuesday morning causing long wait times, according to a spokesman at the Virginia Board of Elections.

Officials do not believe there were technical problems causing the lines, however some voting locations in the area were experiencing problems with optical scanner voting as wet ballots did not scan properly. It rained in parts of Virginia election day.

At a press conference for reporters election board officials said the wet ballots would be collected and secured and once dry tabulated by officials in front of official observers.

Voting crowds have since thinned out and Virginia election officials are expecting more lines as people leave work and come to the polls to vote.

Reports of lines in the Virginia Beach region are also due to a heavy volume of voters. The region is one of the largest municipalities in the state and has seen consistent voter turnout Tuesday, officials said.

The lines had about a 30 minute wait at 4pm eastern Tuesday, and to make things move faster election officials at the voting locations split the paper voter logs among the staff to allow more voters to check in faster, according to Jessica Lane, a spokesman at the Virginia Board of Elections.

There are no reports of equipment malfunctions, Lane said. The Virginia Beach voter region uses touch-screen electronic voting machines.

Filed under: Virginia • Voter Problems
  1. susan

is it true that Castro supported Obama? if you are going to report on the robocall, wouldn't you think to mention whether it was even true? I watch you for iinformation, and I don' t have time to be strung along to improve ratings. Your exit poll coverage has been beyond frustrating. Why can't you just release the information instead of dribbling out a little bit more every 20 minutes. I am finding your election coverage to be very disappointing. I hope it improves as the night goes on or I will be watching another NEWS source in the future!

November 4, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  2. Penny

Ok – so everyone here is voting for the "rockstar" – has he shown or explained in detail what "changes" he can make. Do you realize by taxing corporations even more that it tricklles down to the consumer and you will pay more for services or your job will be sent over seas to offset the cost.

On to the mortgage crisis – did you know the Republicans wanted an oversight committee to watch Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae but the Dems said no since it would discourage lower income and credit challenged individuals.

Watch your C-SPAN to see what really is happening in the world and our government – not just what you see in a :30 clip on tv. Educate yourselves and stop looking for a handout.

November 4, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  3. george-eh

This time, the waiting in line to vote, is very important for the world

PLEASE HAVE PATIENCE!..........
    ps/ ....to bad you folks don't have a
    better health care plan as we have in Canada.

November 4, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  4. bob

I voted today and well it was easy as ever. I walked in and wrote in Steven Cobar

November 4, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  5. From TX

You think it's slow now wait till all the republicans get off work.

November 4, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  6. Ébony

In Chesapeake, Va
    I waited for 2.5 hrs. In the rain this morning at 0550 the lines were long but I was pleased to see everyone there on crutches with strollers in the rain all to cast a ballot for this election. Many people died for this privilege and I am so glad we all came out to support this election.

November 4, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  7. Peter (CA)

penny-the right wing rhethoric and talking points are old.

Both candidates are going to have a hard time fixing the problems this administration and its minions have gotten us into. However, Obama's and Biden's plans make more sense to me than those of the "POW/ Hottie from Alaska".

Yeah, the Democrats blew it with Freddie and Fannie but the meltdown on Wall St happened because of the deregulation of the banking industry in buying up these bad loans and trying to make magic out of them. Thank Phil Gramm and his buddies for that.

Taxes-It's just going back to the rates under Clinton. Pay attention, under Bush the money has not worked its way down because the corprorations do not care about their workers. The money goes to bloated coporate salaries. Profits are for shareholders, not for workers. And don't give me that the shareholders are the average people with 401K's. If you lose your job, a 401K is the least of your comfort. Jobs go overseas to maximize profits, plain and simple. Corporations complain about taxes and wages but it is nothing but simple greed.

You won't get that from Fox News or Rush.

November 4, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  8. inthebasement

How many people think that the "joke" flier contributed?No charges or public ridicule points the finger dead center to the GOP!!!

November 4, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  9. TayTay in AZ

Two of my colleagues and I waited in line for 9 hours on Friday to cast our "early" votes. It was a brutal process and they were certainly not equipped with enough staff to handle the volume of voters. I finally dropped my ballot in the box at 11:45 PM that night but ,to my suprise, NONE of us "early voters" were required to show any form identification. Kinda makes me wonder if all those ballots won't be sittin in a warehouse someplace by this time next week...unaccounted for, of course.

There is about to be an OBAMALUTION!!!!!!! He is worth the wait!!!

November 4, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  10. Terez

I voted in Hampton,Va at 1:15pm and I timed myself it took me 50 seconds from the time I walked in until I put my ballot into the machine. My wife went to the same pole at 6:30am and it took her 2 1/2 hours.

November 4, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  11. Lor

It only took me 10 minutes to cast my vote for Obama/Biden today, here in Florida. There weren't any problems in my part of Palm Beach County, thank God.
    Go Obama/Biden 08!!!!!