November 4th, 2008

Undervotes reported in Palm Beach County, Florida

Voters in Florida wait to cast their ballots Tuesday morning, despite problems at some polling stations.

West Palm Beach (CNN) - Florida's Palm Beach County is reporting problems at a couple of polling stations: so-called "undervotes," where machines reject ballots because some voters are not filling out the second page of the ballot, a spokesman for the county Board of Elections confirmed. The page contains proposed amendments to the Florida Constitution.

The spokesman said these undervotes are legal. The scanner spits the ballot back and reminds the voter to vote on the second page, the spokesman said, adding that the voter then has the choice of voting or registering the undervote.

Watch: Floridians vote

He said in some cases people simply forget to fill out the second page, but most voters seem to be intentionally skipping that part of the ballot.

The town of Palm Beach is also reporting minor sporadic voter machine failures, the spokesman said. A handful of machines had to be replaced.

One polling station in the county opened one hour late because of a problem with their precinct voting list.

Filed under: Florida • Voter Problems
  1. Phoenix

Rick, your remark is disappointing. Get over it, someones voice is not being heard due to a stupid mistake on the part of the voter. See, I am an Obama supporter and I choose to take the high road like my future president.

November 4, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  2. T.O. for BO

To Rick.....have you seen ALL the ballots.....some are quite long and complicated......give these people a break...what's wrong with you ???

November 4, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  3. eric

What a surprise!
    It seems that these kinda things always happen in Florida, the state of Republican election fraud.

November 4, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  4. SC

They should make the amendments easier to understand. Also, they need to hire competent workers who don't give out two of the same page ballots! Happened to me! At least I got my vote in.

November 4, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  5. Vote Uncounted

Add to this problem the fact that they did not bother to mail absentee ballots until the end of last week. I will not be able to vote this year and am highly irrate. I sent off for this ballot MONTHS ago and made follow-up calls regarding it as well. All I keep being told is "We can't control the mail." You can control when YOU send it, can't you? Someone needs to be held accountable for this.

It's not Florida CITIZENS.
    It's the people in charge of the election process.

November 4, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  6. john

How can you say that it's all the Obama supporters? Why do you have to make it into something ugly about which voters it is that are having their ballots rejected? GEESH!! It's the machines, not the voter. And besides, you can choose not to vote on amendments to the Florida Constitution-it's your right!

November 4, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  7. redhead from Toronto

Floridians – REDEEM yourselves in 2008. VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN

November 4, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  8. Mary

Please get it right, ALL Floridians are NOT morons. I consider myself to be a well informed, intelligent Floridian...of course I voted early to avoid the nonsense at the polls today!

November 4, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  9. Kevin

Rick – I sincerely hope you are not implying that the average McCain voter is of more intelligence than the average Obama voter. Please. That's laughable.

November 4, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  10. Anonymous

It's not rocket science. I voted in FL and had no problems. Read and listen to the instructions that are given and everything goes smoothly. Clearly, some people have trouble following directions.

November 4, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  11. Shelly

I voted in PBC for the first time this year and the voting process was so confusing. They made you fill out a form, give it to one woman who gives you a different form, then you take that to a printer where your name is called and you get your ballot. The ballot design is so bizarre it makes you draw in lines connecting the dots to the candidate you want. I swear PBC does this on purpose. I dont know what their problem is I wouldnt be surprised if there are more issues to come.

November 4, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  12. Scott B

In Canada, we all use a paper ballot and they are all counted within 1 hour of the polls closing. We have had some recounts but generally speaking there are no problems at the polls. I can not understand the problems that seem to arise in each election you seem to have. Perhaps technology is not the answer to democracy.

November 4, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  13. Stacy from Loudoun County VA

Well, either people don't want to vote on those changes, which is okay, their vote for President is still valid, or they don't know about the second page, which is the fault of the poll workers and they are not trained to help the voter.

November 4, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  14. stacey

I am here in Philadelphia I had NO problems when I went to vote

I am have so much pride to see so many people out to vote.

November 4, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  15. Tom St. Louis

Rick,

Did you even read the story? The issue is that the voters are neglecting to vote the second page of the ballot (either intentionally or unintentionally). Most of the people in this country only care about the top vote on their ballot anyway and are not interested in the amendments.

Thank goodness we will only have to listen to snarky comments from right-wing shills for a few more hours. Then the joke will be on you.

November 4, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  16. Andrew

yes rick, because we all know the states with the highest IQ's voted for bush in the past two elections ... do your research, you are amongst the idiots of this country

November 4, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  17. Jordan

I live in Palm Beach, and I voted at 7:15 this morning, and I had no problems at my polling station, though I'm not sure which station they are referring to.

November 4, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  18. Dale

COUNTRY FIRST.... YES WE CAN.

November 4, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  19. Maria, Miami

This is pathetic! No wonder McCain and Palin are so sure they will win this election. Jeb Bush isn't here, but Charlie Crist is – just another Republican making sure McCain gets Florida. UGH!

November 4, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  20. Barbara

Let workers pay for their own health insurance, even if they don't have enough money to eat. That's the republican way.

November 4, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  21. Minnie

It is preposterous to require someone to vote on both pages. What is this? I often skip parts of the ballot I am not sure I want to vote on. This is just another way to nullify votes. I have never heard of requiring someone to vote on issues they do not wish to decide.

November 4, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  22. A Canadian

good luck American's. The world is watching and hoping you all make the right choice. Obama will be greeted by parades everywhere he goes in the world. Mccain, not.

November 4, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  23. smart aleck college kid

Rick, I can guarantee that you have no way of guaranteeing these people are Obama supporters, so spare us

November 4, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  24. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

Vote-by-Mail like we do in Oregon....none of this would be happening!

I will bet that Barack Obama will be happy when he can return to being the son of both an African American black man AND a Kansan American white woman.

It is time to forget his color and let this American man do his job as president of the United States of America!!!!!

November 4, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  25. New Democrat in Ohio

Maube every polling place should have a "practice" station so someone can train those who are not familiar with the machines before they actually vote. Or – these same people should just request a paper ballot and do it the old-fashioned way. Either way, we as a country need to make it easy so NO ONE is disenfrachised. Too many men and women from all walks of life have given their lives so we have the right to vote – those sacrifices should not be in vain.

November 4, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |