November 4th, 2008

Memory cards cause problems in Fairfax County, VA

Paper ballots will be used until machines in Fairfax County are fixed.
Paper ballots will be used until machines in Fairfax County are fixed.

Fairfax County, Virginia (CNN) - General Registrar Rokey Suleman said a handful of memory cards did not work when machines were started this morning. He tells CNN that new memory cards have already been sent out to those precincts with problems. He said a "very, very small number of machines" were affected, and voters at those locations could use paper ballots instead until the problem was corrected.

Suleman said there are long lines everywhere. He added they expected that and are prepared for that. The 228 precincts in the county use both optical scan and electronic voting machines.

People started lining up to vote at 4:30am. The polls opened at 6am.

Filed under: Virginia • Voter Problems
  1. Jackson

Stop your whining, liberals. If you do any "civil unrest" in my neighborhood, Mr.Smith and Mr. Wesson will be there.

November 4, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  2. no fear

so we're looking at VA, IN, GA, and NC all reporting problems with voting today. isn't that interesting. it doesn't seem coincidental. I just hope voters aren't deterred by these snafus. I can't help but wonder if these problems are deliberate.

November 4, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  3. The Thinker

This is an opportunity for the crack staff at CNN to expose the flaws of our voting system once and for all. I hope that they don't squander this opportunity to 'out' the elected and appointed officials in our country that have decided to invest in voting technologies that are PROVEN to not be accurate, reliable, or secure. I've been taking tests my entire life by filling in ovals on a piece of paper with a number 2 pencil, and my guess is that most Americans have by now. Why do we need millions of dollars worth of unreliable electronics to vote when paper and pencil make far more sense?

November 4, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  4. Adrienne

Here's what I find ironic. The people most sanguine about electoral problems are the Republicans who, to hear them tell it, are the only ones who love America and have bugger all idea about what it means to be a patriot and a democrat (small-d).

So, to the next Republican who brushes away reports of voting problems with a wave of the hand; what, exactly, is it to be an American? To me, a core part is a commitment to the idea of free, fair, participatory democracy. I wouldn't care if it were MY party (Dem) that were to benefit from voting shenanigans, it isn't part of what our country should be about. If you don't get that, then you are a nationalist but you are not a patriot.

Cheers
    A

November 4, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  5. SeriouslyBadVibes

I voted minutes ago in Fairfax County – was in and out in 5 minutes maximum – maybe a couple folks ahead of me in the post-registration, pre-voting line.

Computer or paper balloting allowed.

Painless.

Go vote! Do it NOW!

November 4, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  6. randy - northern VA

I am running out to vote at 3. Hopefully my vote will count. I find it odd there are problems in richmond, fairfax co, and e-mails being sent out to George Mason students telling them to vote tomorrow.
    Oddly enough no problems in the Shenandoah Valley or south western VA.

November 4, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  7. Listen Up...

I'm really concerned about those new chips. They may be programmed for John McCain.

November 4, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  8. al in memphis

I understand any machine can break, but why not find this out until the day of an election.

We can put satelite tracking technology on our dog to find them if they get lost, but we can't make a dependable voting machin

November 4, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  9. MEP

This is called repressing the vote. A new uniform system is needed. It is hard to believe in this age of IT that glitches like these occur on such a key day - doesn't anyone believe in testing these systems out before millions of people use them?

November 4, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  10. Don

Hey Seriously, shallow statement there. Why don't you look into the ACORN tactics of cheating and then come back with a positive statement instead of blaming something else on the Republicans?

I guess that it is the Republicans fault that in the State of Mississippi which has 82 counties, that there are 29 counties now have more registered voters than population. Explain that one, but then I would expect just another excuse from another liberal.

November 4, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  11. Kamah Thoronka

my parents went to vote in prince William county Va and when they hit the ballot for Obama it jumps to mccain. We are in the middle of this historic moment. I just hope people let it happen ss it was destined to.

November 4, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  12. debbie

to theresa:
    So according to you, Obama will put everyone back to work, the economy will smell great, the world will suddenly love the U.S., we will pay every dime back to China, China will stop sending poisionous products, and finally, according to your comment, Obama can be trusted completely in everthing he says and does!
    Who is under a rock here?

November 4, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  13. Reverend Wrong

"the chickens have come home to vote!!"

November 4, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  14. attom

For the millionth time, why can't we standardize the NATIONAL voting system, isn't this a NATIONAL election? You'd think voting was a new concept the patchwork way this is done.

November 4, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  15. Adrienne

Dan:

Unlike Republicans, I am bothered by ANY irregularities. However, I'm curious–are those fake registrations showing up at the polls? No, at least not that I'm aware of. Are people having *real* voting problems? Yes. So which is worse, Dan? A fake registration that doesn't show up at the polls (when Mickey Mouse shows up at the polls and casts a vote, let me know) or a real voter, showing up to a real poll, not being able to cast their vote or having their vote changed by a malfunctioning machine?

Cheers

November 4, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  16. P Nice

Lay off Virginia you slackers. You hypersensitive losers need to get a grip. The best man will win, I'm tired of all you party bootlickers looking for excuses in case your candidate loses.

November 4, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  17. TIRED OF THE SAME

Seriously, somebody need to something

November 4, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  18. Voting Fraud versus Registration Fraud

Don, while Voter REGISTRATION fraud is illegal and should be punished to the fullest extent of the law, it is not the same as voter fraud – which involves the fraudulent casting of votes.

Mickey mouse, my dog and a few dead people can all register but when they don't vote it has no impact on the election.

Don, maybe you should look into ACORN yourself instead of just regurgitating right wing talking points.

GOTV