November 4th, 2008

Memory cards cause problems in Fairfax County, VA

Paper ballots will be used until machines in Fairfax County are fixed.
Paper ballots will be used until machines in Fairfax County are fixed.

Fairfax County, Virginia (CNN) - General Registrar Rokey Suleman said a handful of memory cards did not work when machines were started this morning. He tells CNN that new memory cards have already been sent out to those precincts with problems. He said a "very, very small number of machines" were affected, and voters at those locations could use paper ballots instead until the problem was corrected.

Suleman said there are long lines everywhere. He added they expected that and are prepared for that. The 228 precincts in the county use both optical scan and electronic voting machines.

People started lining up to vote at 4:30am. The polls opened at 6am.

Filed under: Virginia • Voter Problems
  1. The World for Obama

What, exactly does "fixed" mean and who is doing the "fixing".

Totally unacceptable. The voting machine are unreliable and likely manipulated by the Republican owned companies which build them.

Funny how many voting machines don't work, yet you can go to the grocery store hundreds, or thousands of times without a failed or incorrect scan.

November 4, 2008 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  2. Willy Brown

Bush is not running but you liberals wouldn't know that! McCain will win.

November 4, 2008 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  3. Mothernature Houston,Tx

This is sad!

November 4, 2008 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  4. Cincy Voter

Republicans for the steal. *thumbsdown*

November 4, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  5. jon

teresa has no concept of "price". No free trade means higher prices. Always.

November 4, 2008 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  6. Rose

Seems to be a trend , where dems are leading the polls are breaking.
    Imagine that..

November 4, 2008 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  7. Give me a break

Lets not mistake incompetency for conspiracy...I work for the government...most of these types of problems are the result of people not knowing what the hell they are doing, not some conspiracy

November 4, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  8. Chuck

paper ballots don't break or flip votes. we need national election standards that give each voter a receipt that can be used to verify that a vote has been counted.

November 4, 2008 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  9. Rob

Democracy is comming to the USA

Sail on oh mighty ship of state
    to the shores of need
    past the reefs of greed
    thru the squalls of hate
    Sail On

November 4, 2008 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  10. Adil - Falls Church,VA

I can't say I'm not surprized, we have 665,000 voters this season. At least they have paper ballots as a backup measure. I get off of work at 3 and I hope I can cast my vote in time.

November 4, 2008 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  11. DH

Electronic voting machines are too easy to manipulate, period. At least with an ATM, you walk away with SOMETHING in your hand (cash, or at least a printed receipt) but with electronic voting machines... nothing.

Give me a voting machine as simple to operate as an ATM, one that matches numerically my printed ballot receipt to its digitally stored counterpart.

If our banking system can do it, so can our electoral system.

November 4, 2008 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  12. 60 YO white female , Springfield, VA

I just voted in Fairfax Co, VA. It was an hour wait and I had no problem.
    OBAMA 08!!!

November 4, 2008 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  13. nelly c.

Remember Americans, the whole world is watching! Once you start cheating this election, nobody loses but you!

November 4, 2008 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  14. Cliff

I'm in Fairfax County, and my polling place (precinct 208) had no problems. Of the ~3000 registered voters, almost 300 were lined up at 6am.

There were 2 Republican and 2 Democrat poll watchers there. We had both paper ballots and electronic voting machines. Everything was going smoothly.

I was out in an hour, thanks to great work by the poll workers.

November 4, 2008 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  15. Maggie Muggins From Selwyn

Sooner or later America is going to have a serious problem. It is entirely conceivable if the Republicans steal this election you might see civil unrest as I just don't think people are going to take it any longer.

November 4, 2008 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  16. Mark in Iowa

Do you think these machines were destined to break.
    Do think they were going to send in new memory cards that will
    vote the way they want them to vote, like the special on tv about voting how those machine will give you any out come you program into it, I just hope when they get these machines they are tested before and after with a independent verifer, So that the votes that people cast are theirs and not somone trying to steal a election, been there done that.

November 4, 2008 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  17. Rania

To the Mason Community:
    Please note that election day has been moved to November 5th. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.
    Peter N. Stearns
    Provost

I go to George Mason University in Fairfax, VA this email was sent out this morning from GMU. The school doesn't know who sent it or how, but this is insane!

November 4, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  18. Jeff in Virginia

I voted on an optical scan card in Falls Church, VA this morning with no problems. The polling place was running both touch-screen and optical-scan machines.

We got in line around 5:20. By 6am, the line was wrapped around the block. I hope everything goes smoothly!!

November 4, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  19. p.n.raju

DEAR FELLOW CITIZENS

TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR GOVERNMENT
    DO NOT REELECT THE SITTING MEMBERS OF EITHER PARTY
    DISCONNECT THE LOBBYING SYSTEM AND CORRUPTION
    TIME FOR EMPOWERMENT OF YOUR GOVERNMENT

RAJU

November 4, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  20. Ron Van Der Maarel

With ALL these smart, computer folks in our country you would think that they could do alot better. Voting is so important to all of us and it is disgusting to hear about these problems. Like others i do not trust these machines! Let's go back to paper !

November 4, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  21. William - AZ

How many machine "anomalies" will we see in the battleground states? How can it not be obvious that a paper trail should be required? How come the United States of America is not the world leader in secure, confident elections?
    I voted a week ago by mail. No muss, no fuss, no lines, no machines.

November 4, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  22. Sharon from Dumfries Virginia

Here we go again, wasting no time this year. Drama begins at 7:00am.

November 4, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  23. Here we go...

Trickery in the heavy African American precinct. The devil is truly busy today. We shall overcome and be on way to victory!

November 4, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  24. Independent white female patriotic voter

for God's sake did they not prepare some backup memory cards. I have some for backup, how can a polling place in he USA not have them ready? Oh my God, sometimes I wonder how prepared we are !

November 4, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  25. Nick

I voted this morning in Northern Virginia. I got to the location at 5:30 but there was already a line stretched outside the building. There were only 2 electronic machines and they must not have been working. Paper ballots were used in that Fairfax location.
    ...
    BUSH & REPUBLICANS SENT MY JOB TO INDIA IN 2005, EVERYBODY AT MY OFFICE WAS ANGRY. 2 PEOPLE IN ITALY, 1 IN GERMANY AND 3 OF US IN AMERICA LOST OUR JOBS. WE NEED TO STOP THE ANCIENT OLD MAN IDEAS FLOATING AROUND AMERICAN POLITICS AND GET A SOME NEW MINDS INTO THE GOVERNEMENT!!!

Obama 08