November 4th, 2008

Memory cards cause problems in Fairfax County, VA

Paper ballots will be used until machines in Fairfax County are fixed.
Paper ballots will be used until machines in Fairfax County are fixed.

Fairfax County, Virginia (CNN) - General Registrar Rokey Suleman said a handful of memory cards did not work when machines were started this morning. He tells CNN that new memory cards have already been sent out to those precincts with problems. He said a "very, very small number of machines" were affected, and voters at those locations could use paper ballots instead until the problem was corrected.

Suleman said there are long lines everywhere. He added they expected that and are prepared for that. The 228 precincts in the county use both optical scan and electronic voting machines.

People started lining up to vote at 4:30am. The polls opened at 6am.

Filed under: Virginia • Voter Problems
  1. CW in MD

I voted in Prince George's County Maryland. Got there at 5:30am and was second in line. Voted about 13-14th because me and the person in front of me let a few elderly and handicap folks go before us. I was in and out in 10 minutes. What a glorious day this is!!!

November 4, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  2. Linton

Hmm, this is understandable, I work for a school system in Va, around the Mt. Vernon/Fort Hunt area to be precise and there are 3 voting centers less than 2 miles apart. Presently, one of the sites/centers is very slow. There was a crush of people around 7:00 am, the crowd has since dissipated and now people coming in spend less than 5 minutes to vote. Unbelievable, why can't it be the same everywhere?

November 4, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  3. Gib

So with the national debt hitting the ten trillion dollar mark you think that we should take any money saved by getting out of the war or any other form and just continue to spent it? Only this time just give it out as a handout? Makes plenty of since to me. Buying american made goods is definately a good idea, but if we continue to spend money like it's growing on trees we'll in a lot worse trouble than we already are.

November 4, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  4. Gib

November 4, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  5. Braham Singh

This is ridiculous. If people fall for voting machine trickery again, we will get the government we deserve.

November 4, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  6. wakeupamerica

Virginians don't let McGimmick steal this election. Use a paper ballot. Go VOTE. Turn Virginia blue.

Obama/Biden '08

November 4, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  7. Lets Dance Together

Weren't all these machines and paper tested yesterday sucessfully.

November 4, 2008 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  8. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Maybe someone needs to implant a memory card in the cranium of those responsible...it would be a start.

November 4, 2008 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  9. Larry

Must be a strong Republican district-–See any ACORNS laying around?

November 4, 2008 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  10. Patrice

I'm not understanding, with all of the technology that we have, why isn't the US on the same voting system? Things will never be right until the voting system has changed. I just feel that people are people and they are going to do what they want to do because it is all about money and greed. I feel, yes we have the right to vote, but does it really count?

November 4, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  11. Fairfax Eric

I don't think any issues or trickery will deter us VA voters. Democrats have VA on lockdown.

Let's go win an election!

OBAMA BIDEN

November 4, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  12. Yes We Can!!!

Public School PS152 in Harlem NY, there's a line but the staff is amazing(teachers & volunteers). Theres a sense of pride and calm every where. I am so proud!!!! America you are amazing!! Obama your grandmother left early so she could thank God in advance you are beautiful. Everyone black and white is holding there head high today. I will cry my heart out and purge myself of these last 8 miserable years.

November 4, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  13. Wrath

The GOP will try anything – I hope we have appropriate numbers of monitors to ensure we get the person we all vote for...

November 4, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  14. Susan NJ

I just don't trust the election officials to be fair. I cannot believe that this could happen again and hope the Obama lawyers are all over VIrginia making sure this is corrected.

November 4, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  15. G. Robinson

I just voted here in PA and I voted OBAMA.

November 4, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  16. anthony lienser

I live in an ethnically diverse part of alexandria, va. I've been in line 2 hrs and counting!

November 4, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  17. JT

I voted for Barry so I can get extra money from my taxes and free health care. If he wins and does not give me his promises, he will not get my vote in 2012.

November 4, 2008 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  18. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

Why were all electronic voting machines anywhere not triple checked weeks before the elections? There is some BS going on.

November 4, 2008 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  19. Wrath

November 4, 2008 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  20. Erika

Why am I not surprised!Good Ole Boy State!

November 4, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  21. Noah

Almost all voter fraud and suppression occurs on the Democrats side, not Republicans. That is a statistical fact. In the 2004 election, over 1 million absentee ballots cast by military members were not counted. Since we know that the military typically votes for Republicans 3 to 1 we know why those ballots were not cast.

November 4, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  22. Maggie from Virginia

Memory card problems. I'm starting to worry.

November 4, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  23. Brian in NC

The statistical possibility of 5 out of 7 machines "malfunctioning" is completely off the charts. This is an intentional act that, once investigated, should end in arrests and long term prison sentences.

Its time we started to USE the laws put in place when someone breaks them. That includes EVERYONE. Especially those in Washington who think they are above the law. Are you paying attention George and Dick?

November 4, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  24. Dzster

If the election gets stolen THIS TIME....I don't believe that most Americans will stand still for it and let it go down again that way. Too much at stake, Americans are too disgusted with the Republicans who have totally RUINED this nation! Those "conservatives" may not realize that they have pushed Americans as far as Americans are going to let themselves be pushed. Something has to give this time around!

November 4, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  25. VA Woman for Obama!!!

I voted in Fairfax County this morning. Go Obama!!!!

November 4, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |