November 4th, 2008

Memory cards cause problems in Fairfax County, VA

Paper ballots will be used until machines in Fairfax County are fixed.
Paper ballots will be used until machines in Fairfax County are fixed.

Fairfax County, Virginia (CNN) - General Registrar Rokey Suleman said a handful of memory cards did not work when machines were started this morning. He tells CNN that new memory cards have already been sent out to those precincts with problems. He said a "very, very small number of machines" were affected, and voters at those locations could use paper ballots instead until the problem was corrected.

Suleman said there are long lines everywhere. He added they expected that and are prepared for that. The 228 precincts in the county use both optical scan and electronic voting machines.

People started lining up to vote at 4:30am. The polls opened at 6am.

Filed under: Virginia • Voter Problems
  1. RC

McCain is on amphetemines. No normal person his age acts like a Nazi SS soldier running amock like he does on stage. Something aint right about McCain,

November 4, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  2. Rowena

I just voted in Ohio using a touch screen machine. Except for people "accidentally" walking off with the cards for the machines, I had no problems. The machine prints out a paper receipt that you can read to verify your votes before you cast them and you can change it up to two times if you need to. I'm very proud to be American and thrilled that I just helped make history!

Obama/Biden '08!

November 4, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  3. Laura In Alexandria, VA

I was there at 5:20 am and there were at least 200 people in front of me. Last evening, there were people making calls rfom private numbers to tell us our polling location, it was the wrong one!

November 4, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  4. Constantine

WHY IS IT THAT YOU CAN LOG IN TO HALF OF THE .GOV WEB SITES BUT WE STILL CAN'T VOTE ONLINE??? A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT!!

November 4, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  5. dg

the naacp did tell them they needed more machines and they said they dont need them, u can never have too many

November 4, 2008 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  6. James B. New Jersey

Cast your vote then call your friends and remind them to vote. They can't steal the election if everybody votes. If the machines are "fixed" the democractic turnout is the best prooof that something is wrong if things turn out suspect. Vote and bring along as many others as you can......................

November 4, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  7. Frank

regarding that GMU email that election has been moved to Nov. 5th(most likely from McCain supporters). People who actually believe that, don't even deserve to be voting anyways because they are probably dumb enough to know who is more qualify as a president!

November 4, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  8. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW

DON'T WORRY ACORN SUPPORTERS WILL HELP WITH THE PAPER BALLOTS AND ERASERS!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  9. Dafer M

If the country with the best democracy cant protect the individual freedom of casting a ballot than how on earth is it supposedly teaching other countries to look towards democratization think we should start counting heads like old days …the person name in public and his vote , even if it takes a whole month!

November 4, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  10. Formerly undecided voter

Doesn't anybody TEST these things before election day???

This is totally inexcusable!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  11. SB in NoVa

Let's go Fairfax voters! You can do it!! Don't let them get away with messing with our votes. Remember how the McCain family feels about Northern VA – Communist Country! Stick with it – YES WE CAN!!!

Obama Biden voter in Loudoun!
    TURN VA BLUE!!!

November 4, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  12. Contempt

Is everyone afraid to wake up in the morning?

If anything negative happened overnight it must be a republican conspiracy.

November 4, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  13. Bev

I am truly scared that something is going to happen in the key "red" states, i.e., Florida, Virginia, where there will be a controversy regarding votes not being counted, machines going down, etc. It's happening now. I PRAY nothing happens like it did in 2000! The republicans are so good at stealing elections.

Bev, Tonawanda NY

November 4, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  14. Stacy from Loudoun County VA

I live in neighboring Loudoun County, I am so glad I voted absentee this year. Thank goodness my wife and I had twins around election day!

November 4, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  15. Kathy C

I live in Florida and we have paper ballots that are run through and scanner. We have never had problems in our county, We only had 6100 new voters in two weeks of early voting out of 113,000 early voters (by mail too) and in our county of 365,000 . The kids did not show up says our election supervisor. There were more for John Kerry she said. Too bad, happens everytime.

November 4, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  16. ToddDC

I voted in DC this morning......
    I got to the polls at 6:30 – a 1/2 hour before they opened, and there were already about 100 people in front of me...I waited for an hour and a half to vote...IN DC!!! I never have to wait that long!!! And when I was done, the line to get into the building was STILL around the block!!!

I smell CHANGE!!!!

November 4, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  17. David Sohn

The Orange Hunt precinct in Fairfax County apparently had a problem with the optical scan devices earlier this morning when I went to vote at 6 AM. We were told there had been a minor problem but that the scanner was fixed and so paper ballots were again being use around 6:25 AM. The touch-screen devices seemed to have no problems by the time I voted at 6:45 AM.

November 4, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  18. bruce

has to be a better way
    I am in PA and was at my polling place at 7am when they opened and the line was huge...took me an hour and I was #110 and when i left they line was still as long as when i started...huge turn out and from discussions I had in line many first time voters.

November 4, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  19. Carlos

Voted early this morning in Purcellville VA, (301) In a small town of about 6000 residents the line was at least 200 people by 6 AM. Once the polls opened the coordinators did a good job of shuffling people to empty slots. There line for paper ballot was full, and the line for electronic voting (1 machine) was two people. I chose paper.

November 4, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  20. Lee

This is the miracle that the McCain camp was talking about!

November 4, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  21. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW

TO ALL OBAMA SUPPORTERS DUE TO VOTER MACHINE PROBLEMS THE ELECTION HAS BEEN MOVED UNTIL TOMORROW.

YOU WILL STILL BE ABLE TO VOTE FOR YOUR MESSIAH!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  22. party of five

This country cannot afford to get this wrong. Please do what's right and vote. Everyone be vigilant and watch closely for voting fraud.
    Obama 08

November 4, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  23. SW,OHIO

Its starting to sound like another Bush election. It was corrupted by the Republicans and their trying to do it again. I will NEVER trust another Republican, they have lost all my trust. no matter who it is . LIARS,LIARS,LIARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  24. November 4 it ends.

at last.

I'm not afraid John and Sarah and you can't make me be afraid.

November 4, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  25. SC BLUE

don't be surprised if the REPUBS don't file an injunction to stop counting the paper ballots..to insure all those votes are lost. Stay on this one CNN

November 4, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |