November 4th, 2008

Memory cards cause problems in Fairfax County, VA

Paper ballots will be used until machines in Fairfax County are fixed.
Paper ballots will be used until machines in Fairfax County are fixed.

Fairfax County, Virginia (CNN) - General Registrar Rokey Suleman said a handful of memory cards did not work when machines were started this morning. He tells CNN that new memory cards have already been sent out to those precincts with problems. He said a "very, very small number of machines" were affected, and voters at those locations could use paper ballots instead until the problem was corrected.

Suleman said there are long lines everywhere. He added they expected that and are prepared for that. The 228 precincts in the county use both optical scan and electronic voting machines.

People started lining up to vote at 4:30am. The polls opened at 6am.

Filed under: Virginia • Voter Problems
  1. Matt

Get your rioting boots on people...if they steal this one, we need to teach them a serious lesson.

November 4, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  2. Gary SWMO

It's a little fishy that 2 different democrat areas of Virginia are the only areas reporting problems already in Virginia. Same place that a state employee made a flyer trying to decieve democrat voters.

November 4, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  3. Anonymous

Haven't they heard of testing their equipment first??? Especially on a day like today?? Hello!

November 4, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  4. Gov't not the answer

Of course , there were no problems in 2006, since the outcome is what the Dems desired. If Obama wins, this will be a non-issue.

November 4, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  5. Larry Blevins

Go McCain and Palin

November 4, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  6. Jrizzo575

I waited 90 minutes (arrived 30 mins before polls opened) in Arlington to vote, and used a back up paper ballot because the line for paper was shorter.

In four years voting there on Glebe Rd., never once before saw a black person. This morning, I saw about 25% black people (I am white).

The line moved, the people were excited. GOBAMA!

November 4, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  7. Jill American

The smart computer folks don't man the polls ... that's the problem.

November 4, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  8. Commonwealth of Virginia

They are also having macine problems in Chesapeake VA.

November 4, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  9. jim in texas

I think there is some sabotage by the dems in Texas right now. my wife had an 7am appointment with the pest control people and they keep telling her they will be there shortly and its been nearly 2 hours. we are republican and I think we are being sabotaged by a dem. any ideas on what we should do? at our age this may be the last election we get to vote in. should we report the pest control company to the government?

November 4, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  10. N. Lindsey

I am hoping that this election is not stolen. There is a lot anxiety about this one. Some are talking about experience. Who has experience?

An Incumubent maybe? We have all kinds of excuses about Mr OBama. None I feel are valid.

I hope that we will begin to practice what the Constitution is all about, and for the so called Rright Winged Religous, the Bible states that we are all children of God?

November 4, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  11. vic, nj

It funny how something always goes wrong in a predominately democratic section of a battleground state. How dont we hear of breakdowns in rural areas. Remember florida 2000.

November 4, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  12. Theresa

I prediced 4 months ago that Virginia will be the next "fixed" state, following Florida 2000, and Ohio 2004. Its only 10AM and already there are problems. The least that should be done at the end of the election is a recount of the Virginia vote. (Hopefully not the sham that the Florida recount was.) Although I have faith enough to hope that it will not come to that. Vote Obama 08!!!

November 4, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  13. Steve, Madison WI

I bet if you give MIT or another university a $10 million grant they will quickly develop a electronic voting machine with a paper trail and one that will not "conveniently" break down in a heavily Democratic area.

November 4, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  14. Niccole in Georgia

The only places so far that they are having voting issues are states that Barack is ahead in. Typically red states that are now marginally blue. This is no coincidence. I am so disgusted.

November 4, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  15. Matt

If there is widespread problems with these voting machines and John McCain somehow pulls off a victory, there will be hell to pay in this country.

November 4, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  16. carmen - va

I'm in Fairfax County and I voted early.

If Obama loses, it will not be because he didn't win.

I'm so sick of cheating Republicans and hope this won't be the case AGAIN..

November 4, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  17. me

say it aint so!

November 4, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  18. Rex

These things can happen in an election sometimes.
    However I am certain that any attempt made to steal this election will fail woefully.

November 4, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  19. Peyton

I just voted in Fairfax County (Pimmit Hills precinct) and all was well. Got in line at 7:15, done by 8:20. I'm so excited for Obama/Biden '08!

November 4, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  20. President McCain

We are all Americans!

November 4, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  21. angie in NC

I voted this morning. No problem. I was no 21 in line.
    Obama/Biden!

November 4, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  22. Vickie Carroll

I just returned home after volunteering at my Polling place in Centreville, checking voter names as they came in to vote. I found the process very efficient, they were using paper ballots with no problems. Election officials were handling voter issues efficiently and courteously. After the first two hours, where the lines were long, there was a lull. I would estimate from what I heard, that most people stood in line less than an hour.

Go Vote!! Vote Obama!!

November 4, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  23. Tom

As a European living in Africa I can only say that Barack Obama as President should take care of your educational system because even your voting system is out dated and is a complete shame for the US.

November 4, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  24. yes we can

American people are thinking they have the greatest democracy and
    the greatest country in the world. America is even surpervising elections in banana republics to make sure this is no cheating! They are persuated they have the greatest engineering in the world!
    Often they are looking down at other country especially at the "old Europe". At least in France and Germany we can vote without this circus. It is a shame how voters are treating in this country. What a great democracy when voters have to fight to exercise their fundamental right to vote or when their ballots are just discarted!

November 4, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  25. KTJ

I'm sorry I'm a little confused as to how is this the republicans fault??

Both democrats and republicans work the polls...I voted in Fairfax County this morning and had no problems.

November 4, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |