November 4th, 2008

Machine break down causes slow start in Richmond, VA

Paper ballots are now being used in Richmond after complaints that none were available.

RICHMOND (VA) - Voting machine problems at the Math and Science Center in Richmond have forced the county to switch to paper ballots at the location.

Watch: Early voting in Virginia

The board of elections tells CNN the location is using paper ballots after five of seven machines broke down. Callers to the CNN Hotline originally said there were no paper ballots. But the Board of Elections now says they have started using the ballots and are in the process of deploying more equipment.

Filed under: Virginia • Voter Problems
  1. Anonymous

Figures this would happen in a swing state.

November 4, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  2. Arariel

Hopefully, no chads.

November 4, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  3. From Richmond VA

The area where the polls are "having problem" is an area where democrats are the majority voters so JAY when you say sneaky dems no sneaky republicans because our mayor knew there would be a problem and they have done nothing to fix this so plz be patient and Barack your vote

November 4, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  4. MICHAEL IN JACKSONVILLE,FL

I'M READY FOR A CHANGE. I KNOW OBAMA WILL BE THE BEST PICK FOR OUR COUNTRY. WE NEED A FRESH FACE AND PRESIDENT WITH A HEART AND COURAGE. GO OBAMA.

November 4, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  5. fantapants

it should be pretty obvious now that our elections are rigged...

November 4, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  6. Jack Stewart

Why not spend the money on computer systems that connects the polling stations so that you aren't forced to just one? Or maybe a radical system involving finger prints and a non washable dye? Gee, where have I seen that before?

November 4, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  7. CNN - Getting A Little Better

Problems in Northern VA – surprise!

Governor Kaine should be ashamed of how his state prepared for this election – in between all that campaigning, he should have known that his state would become a battleground (he did know) – he blew it.

Voters are not going to be forgiving this time around – we go through this every four years..

Great resource CNN (voter hotline). Where are the attorneys for both camps?

November 4, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  8. skeptical

you know, considering all the apathetic voter turnouts in the past way less than 50%), I wonder what would happen if EVERYONE - 100% of eligible voters – actually turned out & voted on election day.

as a rule, shouldn't they be prepared for that? How hard can it be?

jeez folks, it's not brain surgery.

November 4, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  9. rloewen

How is that first world countries can have so many election problems?AND – we seem to think we should send election observers to other countries. I'm from Canada, just a different country with its own election day problems.

November 4, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  10. Jessica from Michigan

This is scary! Come on, we live in the most powerful country in the world. Why can we get our act together when it comes to a fair election?

November 4, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  11. ANTHONY

OBAMA ALL THE WAY!!!! WE NEED CHANGE NOW MORE THEN EVER! OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA

November 4, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  12. Bunzmon

The problem with the voting system is that there needs to be accountability while withholding the constitutional right to vote. My take is that if I have nothing to hide and I am an honest person I would not have a problem showing proof that I am who I say I am. We are already taking time to register 1st time voters at the polling station why not take time to provide the necessary identification.

I can tell you for a fact that in Milwaukee Wisconsin I would be able to vote as many time as I would want as long as I alter my looks just a bit to fool the 80+ year old work staff. The reason being as I approach the sign in table the staff has the big book of everyone open right in front of me. I can point and say "hey that is lucky that is me right there" and they just have to believe me.

Good thing I did not put away my Halloween costumes yet.

November 4, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |