November 4th, 2008

World markets cheer Obama

Tokyo Stock Exchange.
Tokyo Stock Exchange.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Global stocks traded higher and U.S. futures rose on Tuesday as Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama was named the projected winner.

The Nikkei, the major index for the Tokyo Stock Exchange, rose 2.8 percent in early trading. The Hang Seng index in Hong Kong surged almost 6 percent at its open. The Australian All Ordinaries index was up nearly 2 percent.

Watch: A turning point in history

Americans turned out in record numbers to cast their votes for Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain. At 11 p.m., CNN projected Obama as the winner over McCain in the electoral college.

Obama's substantial lead was providing optimism for global markets.

"From the world perspective, Obama is perceived as a better candidate and I think they are voting with their dollars," said Jack Ablin, chief investment officer at Harris Private Bank in Chicago.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Phoebe

That's what real change is. I'm proud of President Obama.

November 5, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  2. Obama/Biden 08/12

This is new hope for America and the world! I can finally say that I am proud this day to be an American!
    President Obama!!!

November 5, 2008 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  3. Hilary

McCain supporters can bash all they want. Truth is though, they'll be scratching their heads four years from now wondering why things are so much better when they thought everything was supposed to go to hell.

November 5, 2008 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  4. COLORADO

World markets surged on the news of Obama winning the election. This fact is evidence that America voted for the right candidate. I love the U.S.A.

November 5, 2008 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  5. Danielle , Switzerland

Obama , change America if you will , but please stop talking about changing the world.
    We are doing just fine without you and your rhetoric.
    How could so many people fall for all that empty talk.

November 5, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  6. Nneka M

I have never owned an American flag. Today that will change. For the first time in my 35 years I feel included, for the first time I know my vote counted. Thank you fellow Americans, not for voting for the African American candidate, but for putting our collective future first. Barak Obama, with our help, will get us back on track.
    I would like to thank CNN for the amazing election night coverage. I found it to be informative and quite entertaining. Your usage of technology was amazing and your team is the best in the business!

November 5, 2008 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  7. Dawn

To all the people who helped us put are man in the white house thank you.. Congrats to Obama.. Change is needed and change is what we want and change is what we are going to finnaly get.. We saw through the republicans fake act and especially Palin's stupidty and ignorance of the facts and real politics... Obama deafeated the fake canidates who acually call themselves politicians, his oppenents should of never made it this far.. They were wrong on the issues and Obama was right, so to all thank you. Go Obama...

November 5, 2008 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  8. Harrison

Am so happy that our heart is desire finally emerge. OBAMA MY PRESIDENT!!!

November 5, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  9. Common Sense

The Netherlands a strong allie of the United States would like to thank and congratulate the American people for choosing President Elect Barack Obama .He is an Inspirational person who has the ability to unite people from different backrounds and walks of life to a common goal. America and the rest of the world will benefit from his leadership.We have no doubt he will do great things not only for your country but also for the rest of the world.Today you have made history.

November 5, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  10. Jones in Mayfield

I'm disappoined in all of this racism and hatred for the man that has obviously given this country hope. Nobody is experienced when it comes to being president except for a former or 2nd term president. No matter what you've done in your lifetime, nothing prepares you for running the greatest in the world. I'm sorry, but that is something that is on the job training. I'm so proud to have helped make true history on this day by electing President Obama. Let's just hope that he doesn't end up a martyr like many greats before him. Like Young Jeezy said, "My president is black!"

November 5, 2008 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  11. Fatal Blow

Tuan

You were made irrelevant in 1965 after the civil rights legislation

You remind me of the saying "Empty barrels sound the loudest"

Keep up your hateful rhetoric, you may just burst a vein , or you can be on the side of progress..its up to you

You rhetoric is so old fashioned

November 5, 2008 02:43 am at 2:43 am |