November 4th, 2008

Some Kansas City polling places have wrong registration books

Kansas City, Mo. (CNN) - At least three polling locations in Kansas City's 5th Ward have the wrong registration books, said Board of Elections director Shelley McThomas. She said cover jackets indicating ward, precinct and sequence numbers were mixed up when the books were assembled at the Board of Elections.

Deputies deliver the books in pairs, and McThomas said elections officials think the problems are limited to 6 registration rolls for 3 polling locations within Ward 5.

"They looked like the right books, but when the judges opened them this morning they discovered, no, these pages aren't the right pages", McThomas said.

Kansas City election officials have sent teams to investigate. McThomas confirmed CNN voter hotline caller Elizabeth Wakowski's report that one of the affected polling locations is at the Immanuel Lutheran Church at 1700 Westport Rd.

McThomas said she's waiting to hear back from deputies in the field whether the problems have been resolved.

Filed under: Missouri • Voter Problems
  1. Liz A.

Hooray! I was just told by my boyfriend, who has just gotten home from Immanuel Lutheran, that the problem with the books has been fixed and voting is up and running again. So, get out & vote, wherever you are!

November 4, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  2. Pete

I am not suprised that the incorrect books were delivered. There will be many attempts to sabbatash this election because of the hatred the many people feel in their hearts for Sen. Obama.

Hatred has caused too many in this country to suffer. When is enough, enough? God Help!

November 4, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  3. Frances From KC

S. Boatman, don't blame Republicans....geez...It looks like an honest mistake. Wow back down bud...the election is almost over.

November 4, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  4. mom for Obama

interesting that all the reported problems are in battleground states....

November 4, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  5. Kansas City Gal

Um...it's not in Kansas. It's in Missouri. Kansas City is in both Kansas AND Missouri, and this takes place in Missouri. Of course, Missouri is one of the big states that is a toss-up, so it's pretty big.

It's not surprising though. Missouri has a history of this sort of confusion. I mean, they don't have advanced voting. They have "excuse" voting meaning you have to have an excuse to vote early.

Thank GOODNESS Kansas is a little more organized than that!

November 4, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  6. Jamie G.

I feel with the historic flaws that have been well documented during elections.
    It surprises me that something like this would still occur. Just amazing when we are in a time of major change this would happen.

November 4, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  7. Mona

Nothing like waiting 'til the last minute to check the books... pathetic.

November 4, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  8. Get over it

Democrats are the biggest whiners ever. Everything is a conspiracy to defraud you of votes. Face facts, Obama is going to raise taxes, no real working people want that to happen, so he will lose. You will lose not because of fraud, but because this is not a socialist state. You want money, go earn it.

November 4, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  9. Kate

I was at one of the places with the wrong books. It took over an hour and a half to vote from the time the polls were supposed to open, and when I left after voting they still did not have the right books at the location. The staff was quite professional, patient, and helpful, and did their best to quicken the process. Thanks to all of you!!!

November 4, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  10. Ron, Illinois

It seems that the Republican are afraid to play fair. Tactics like this show the world that we are no different than 3rd World Nation elections. It' really a shame that certain people would choose to behave in such a shallow manner during this historic endeavor.

REV Sinbad

November 4, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  11. Nick

Strange, we had no such problems 30 minutes west.... on the Kansas side....

November 4, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  12. Felix G

This is completely unacceptable, sketch-sketch-sketch...

November 4, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  13. rachel s.

Hopefully instances of such "accidents" will be few and far between today...

November 4, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  14. Michelle

I just hope all of the problems that are going on now are all fixed by the time the voting locations are closed so that every vote counts.

November 4, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  15. Deb (New York)

All of these events lead to Republican victories. America do not despair but do cast your votes whatever it takes. Barack Obama needs to be victorious.

November 4, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  16. kc voter

I voted in Ward 5 today. The books didn't get there until about 7:30, an hour and a half late. Nobody got out of line though, and things ran smoothly and quickly after. And please don't mistake KC, MO for Kansas.

November 4, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  17. lifelong ticket splitter

Ah, dirty tricks. Reminds of me when I got disenfranchised a few years back. Just like the people in Florida in 2000 (remember them?) I moved, forgot to notify, went to the wrong polling place, and was - correctly - turned away.

Just like the Florida fools, it was my mistake. But no activists took to the streets for me, because I'm a white suburbanite. I make a mistake, I don't get to vote. Someone else makes the same mistake, and the system is rigged to disenfranchise them.

Yawn.

November 4, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  18. Kellie

I used to vote in this district, they are never prepared and always have problems... nothing new....

November 4, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  19. William

My location was one of the places without the right books. (big brothers big sisters near Westport). People had been standing in line since 4:30am. I arrived at 6:30am, and was out by 8:15am. People were actually pretty good about being calm about it. The line was fairly long, but after the books arrived, it started moving.

November 4, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  20. Independent and loving it - Minnesota

Why are these people so stupid as to not look at the books BEFORE today. The Republicans are trying to stop ALL people from having the right to vote. When did cheating to win an election become perfectly ok. Well, I guess if that's the only way you can win. Losers.

I am glad I voted for Obama YESTERDAY!!!

November 4, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  21. kyle

lawrence kansas represent!

November 4, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  22. kenny

Four presidential elections and I have never waited to vote until today. I can't tell you how exciting it was to wait for 2.5 hours...feeling the energy build...all of this in our important Swing State of Missouri...now I just have to wait and hope!!

November 4, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  23. Bella

You would think after the last election we the most powerful nation could come up with a better voting system than the one we have. I guess they still want that extra wiggle room . Apparently some parties still need to count those hanging chads!

November 4, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |