November 4th, 2008

Some Kansas City polling places have wrong registration books

Kansas City, Mo. (CNN) - At least three polling locations in Kansas City's 5th Ward have the wrong registration books, said Board of Elections director Shelley McThomas. She said cover jackets indicating ward, precinct and sequence numbers were mixed up when the books were assembled at the Board of Elections.

Deputies deliver the books in pairs, and McThomas said elections officials think the problems are limited to 6 registration rolls for 3 polling locations within Ward 5.

"They looked like the right books, but when the judges opened them this morning they discovered, no, these pages aren't the right pages", McThomas said.

Kansas City election officials have sent teams to investigate. McThomas confirmed CNN voter hotline caller Elizabeth Wakowski's report that one of the affected polling locations is at the Immanuel Lutheran Church at 1700 Westport Rd.

McThomas said she's waiting to hear back from deputies in the field whether the problems have been resolved.

Filed under: Missouri • Voter Problems
  1. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

WHAT???

Do we need international over-seers to handle everything for the ignorant republicans?

November 4, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  2. Liz A.

Wow. That's my polling location! I'm really glad I decided to take afternoon voting leave now! Hope they get that figured out soon...

November 4, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  3. Anonymous

Here we go again.

November 4, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  4. Anonymous

I waited in line this morning (Virginia) after about an hour and a half wait only to be told I was at the wrong polling location. I went to where my registration card told me to but they couldn't find me in their book. After a couple of phone calls it turned they made a mistake on the registration card. So, after close to two hours of waiting I finally got to vote. What a morning!

November 4, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  5. paul

Why is it when anything goes wrong that affects the democrats, it is viewed as some sort of conspiracy? Flip it around and when the republicans have a roadblock, it is just "too bad".

November 4, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  6. Terry Rouse

I voted at one of those polling locations. Once the "correct" registration books arrived there were still problems. There were no names beginning with "D", and the alphabetical sequence was incorrect creating even more confusion.

November 4, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  7. LR

How convenient that this happened in probably the second most Democratic area in Missouri. Don't people wonder why these "random occurrences" are always to the detriment of the Democrats?

November 4, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  8. Chris J

If it's the only place in Kansas that might vote democrat does it even matter then, since the electoral votes will go Repub?

Election problems all over, everyone put on your tin foil caps.

November 4, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  9. Jennifer

Kansas City is in Missouri. So this is a very big deal!!! Missouri is a swing state and this particular area is loaded with Obama supporters. I heard from my friend that lives here the problem was corrected around 7:30 CT. Hopefully those that were turned away will be able to come back and vote. What a disgrace!!

November 4, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  10. Tyler

Kansas City, MO is the location listed at the top of the article.

November 4, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  11. Rich Rogers

Interesting. Any trick in the book and any trick will work. Not this year CONS

November 4, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  12. steve

Thank God for a change. But I don't want an Obama Hussein change, I want a Mcain change. I've said to a inexperienced socialist and said yes to a maverick. Sorry, but all you people are like the russians and germans riding on the same propaganda that made hitler and Stalin powerful which in turn destroyed the world.

November 4, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  13. Katie

Did you read the byline? Kansas City, MO! Missouri is a swing state...

November 4, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  14. S. Boatman

The Republicans Are Up To Their Tricks Again!

November 4, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  15. Jay

Kelly,

That's Kansas City, Missouri that had the problems, not Kansas. The story is misfiled. And Missouri is a battleground state, so that's huge.

November 4, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  16. sc

The polling place is in Kansas City MO-not Kansas.

November 4, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  17. chameleon_one

Let me get this straight...No one so much as opened these book until this morning? I would like to see better efforts at preparation for something that happen for about 12 hours every 4 years. 1) Check the rosters 2) Test the machines 3) Have a plan for rain, etc.

November 4, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  18. J

Actually, Kansas City, Missouri is in MISSOURI.

November 4, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  19. liz

Go figure the one battleground Rove predicts McCain will carry!

November 4, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  20. Mr M

Well all I can say is they better fix this so EVERYONE there gets to vote, even if it means keeping the polls open longer.

November 4, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  21. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Battleground state trying to seal the deal for a republican? Say it ain't so.

November 4, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  22. Paul

When will the Board of Elections across the nation ever get things right? Not enough voting machines, polling places, hours to vote, and all the other miscues each state make. I believe we need a national voting week, with hours from 5am to 10pm to take care of long lines, and let all the people vote. Get out the bottles of blue ink for the finger, of course, the kind that won't wash off, and let all people from age 17 on up voting for their choice. All that will be needed is the registration name and drivers licence, giving their home address, and a social security card. After watching "All the Presidents Men" the other night, more than ever, these candidates, and those in the future, need to be open about their past and forbid and negative comments about each other, and stick only to the issues and forget about tv ads and slander.

November 4, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  23. Niccole in Georgia *OBAMA/BIDEN08*

This is conspiracy, not democracy. But I'm not worried. Tonight it will all be over for McCain and his ... running mate.

gObama!

November 4, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  24. Natasha

This was actually in Missouri, and I did get to vote and I hope that everyone that wanted to gets to.

November 4, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  25. LaJuan

what a shame, is there not anyone that checks and double checks that the correct registration books are in place! cheat if you must that's the only way McCain will be elected

November 4, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |