November 5th, 2008

Ban on gay marriage in CA still unclear

Prop 8 supporters gather at a rally.
Prop 8 supporters gather at a rally.

(CNN) - The outcome of an effort to ban gay marriage in California remained unclear early Wednesday since not all the votes had been counted.

Proposition Eight, which would eliminate the right of same-sex couples to marry in California, had the support of 52 percent of voters at 2:45 a.m. (5:45 a.m. ET), with 84 percent of precincts reporting.

Voters in Arizona and Florida approved bans on gay marriage Tuesday.

In California, voters weighed a gay marriage ban after the California Supreme Court ruled this year that such marriages were legal under the state's constitution.

The ballot initiative had the support of 4.6 million voters compared with 4.3 million who were opposed, according to preliminary results.

In Arizona, voters approved a measure Tuesday to amend the state constitution so that only a union between one man and one woman would be recognized as a marriage. Fifty-six percent of voters supported the measure - a reversal of direction from 2006, when a similar measure on the ballot failed.

A ban on gay marriage also passed in Florida, with support from 62 percent of the voters.

In California, first-time voters cast their ballots against the proposition by a 64 percent to 36 percent margin, according to exit polls. The rest of the electorate favored the amendment 52 percent to 48 percent.

Church attendance was a major factor in voting.

Californians who attend church weekly voted for Proposition Eight by a margin of 83 percent to 17 percent, according to exit polls. Those who attend church occasionally voted 40 percent in favor and 60 percent opposed. Californians who never attend church were 14 percent in favor and 86 percent
opposed.

College graduates opposed Proposition Eight by a 57 percent to 43 percent margin. Those without a college degree favored it 53 percent to 47 percent.

African-Americans voted for the measure by a 69 percent to 31 percent
margin. However, 55 percent of white voters and 52 percent of Hispanics voted
against the proposition.

– Hal Quinley and CNN's Joe Von Kanel contributed to this report

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. scott

I'm keeping my fingers crossed it fails.
    I live in upstate NY. I live alone. I'm not marrried. I'm gay. I'm miserabel and want to find someone special and get married. I'm also 54. I've lived most of my life in the closet. How can a state that voted a man as good as Obama into the office of President of These United States also vote for such descrimination? It makes me so sad.

November 5, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  2. Kim

God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. Our anatomy works together for a reason!

November 5, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  3. Rodney Lester

This is to all those who voted against gay marriage in all the states: IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS! What a concept?

November 5, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  4. Jake

ya this is a no brainer, God intended marriage to be between a man and a women. Nowhere does it say in the Bible that gay marriage is ok. It has always been intended for male and female, not same sex. Opposites attract, thats it.

November 5, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  5. Amy

Can someone explain to me why people who aren't gay care at all about whether gay people get married, let alone care enough to take that right away from them? I'm at a loss.

November 5, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  6. THE US OF WHAT?

These Propositions are to confusing and know I mean know one adrressed them not even CNN. So when average people go vote the wording is so coonfusing you don't know if yes means yes for the proposition or no.

Its just too confusing period.

November 5, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  7. back to the closet

"African-Americans voted for the measure by a 69 percent to 31 percent
    margin." You would think that African-Americans, given the history of bigotry in this country, would know better. I guess, in the end, bigotry DOES come in all colors. Sad, Sad, Sad

November 5, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  8. AKP

What century are we living in? PUHLEESE! It's none of our business who marries whom.

November 5, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  9. David

Um,

Why on earth would anyone oppose gay marriage unless they were bigoted. How could two people getting married ever effect you.

Its all you straight people in loveless marriages. Your so miserable and you get no pleasure out of it and the only thing you have that you think makes you straight or normal is the fact that your married.

You think that if gay people can get married then it strips away your special status.

So cmon. Think about it. Does it really matter at all whether gay people can get married.

November 5, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  10. William Cox

If not today, then someday we will all have the right to marry whom we choose. I'm glad that the President Elect said that gay and straight spoke the answer.

November 5, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  11. BeHeardVote

It is very humbling to participate in the celebration of Barack Obama's election, all the while knowing that my fellow citizens have voted to keep me unequal to them – a move that gives them no tangible benefit, yet changes my life immeasurably. If you are not gay and reading this, have you ever had to walk through your own neighborhood and see signs on neighbor's lawns showing not their attack on a tax bill that you support, but an attack on you, a human being? What if I posted a sign that read "Stop the marriage of people who have blue eyes!" Would I not be seen as the ridiculous bigot that I wa? How can it be that such an overwhelming demand for positive change still comes at the expense of anyone that we can still label as "other"?

November 5, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  12. Sean, Santa Barbara

As much as I support the ammendment, I just couldn't bring myslef to vote along side the crazy religious right... I voted No

November 5, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  13. DeRon Jordan

Please help me understand something... why is that when a state votes to allow gay marriage it becomes simply that...an allowance, almost like a verbal agreement with very little staying power. But when a state changes its mind later, at that point THEN the extra effort is made to write it into the state constitution and make it much harder for the initiative to be changed back.

I'm simply saying be equitable in how voting measures are treated. In both cases the people go out and vote their opinion but in only one instance is the process followed through to completion.

To be fair and equal, if a state will take the time to write a "NO" into the constitution, then they should have taken the time to write the "YES" in as well. A "yes" on gay marriage deserves the same difficulty to change by involving a change in the state constitution as a "no" does.

If we allowed the states to do this on other issues such as suffrage and segregation, we'd constantly have inequality in the nation every election year. Thankfully, the federal government stepped in and made sure this wouldn't be the case. But for now and most likely for years to come this is precisely how this issue will be treated... decided by whichever way the wind blows.

No matter how one feels on the issue, you should be able to see how this is skewed.

November 5, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  14. Jonathan

This is ridiculous. Some things should not be on the ballot and Prop 8 is one of them. People have no right to tell other people who to love or how legal that love is. It looks like the bigoted, conservative bastion wins another one. Well, at least Obama was elected I guess.

November 5, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  15. Mello in New Mexico

I just do not understand why, considering all of the problems in the world, that there continues to be those who feel that they have to legislate the morality of others. Why not just let people live out their lives in peace? Gay marriage is just not a big deal. People need to get over it.

November 5, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |