November 5th, 2008

Dems appear to pad House majority

Rep. Chris Shays, R-Connecticut, failed to win his 11th full term.
Rep. Chris Shays, R-Connecticut, failed to win his 11th full term.

(CNN) – Democrats appeared to have padded their 36-seat majority in the U.S. House, defeating a few established Republicans and winning some open contests as they tried to capitalize on an unpopular GOP president.

Democrats clinched a majority and took at least 21 seats from Republicans, with the GOP taking only four from the Democrats, according to CNN projections as of 4 a.m. ET Wednesday.

With winners yet to be called for 12 of the House's 435 seats, Democrats were projected to win 251 seats, with Republicans having 172.

Heading into Election Day, the Democrats had a 235-199 majority. The Democrats' apparent gains Tuesday come two years after they took control of the House - with a gain of 30 seats - after 12 years in the minority.

Full story

1. Dixie AZ

And the hate goes on. McCain supporters are you republicans first or or are you Americans first? I voted for Obama, but I didn't vote as a dem or rep. I voted as an American. Settle back, think about it. Let's pitch in and work to be Americans - we are leaders of the world.

November 5, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  2. dave harlow

I am so happy... please send my first equalizer check to my home address.. can't wait to get my new car, new clothes, and all for free.....thank you Republicans for all your hard work.

November 5, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  3. Kobraboy

It is a day later and I am still crying. What a historic moment this is!

I am NOT originally for a country that has wars or economic problems – though it is a poor country and is ethnically very diverse. I came to the US for graduate school and stayed back after meeting my wife-to-be here and basically for $$$. Never felt a part of the social fabric of this country – until yesterday! I always felt that before yesterday the people who ruled were out of touch with reality of outside world. Very surprising to me – since almost everyone is or was an immigrant here. If you are an American who hasn't traveled a lot, you cannot imagine the feeling of goodwill and positive thoughts that are being felt all over the world today.

I am not black but what a feeling it must be for them. This is a moment to cherish for EVERYONE and to work for a new beginning! Finally, I am going to get my Stars and Stripes today...

November 5, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  4. Marc

Angry in Ohio November 5th, 2008 7:52 am ET
    'This is only the beginning of a sad time for the United States, I hate to think of the next 4 years and what is going to happen to this great Nation.'

If the Dems mess up then kick them out when the next election arrives. They might not have the 'Magic 60' but they're preetty close to it, and the president is a Dem, so now we're back to the same situation we saw in 2000; a party has control of all three (and soon the supreme court will have to go through a change too)...
    Only that this time the major party is NOT the (your) Republican one. So things have a chance to be different this time...
    YYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

November 5, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  5. The Cosmos Rocks

»HUGE!HUGE! CELEBRATION time! OOH! YES!

November 5, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  6. WOW

The presidency - bought, sealed, and delivered !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 5, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  7. tiffany in ohio

I have great faith for PRESIDENT ELECT OBAMA/ VP BIDEN

November 5, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  8. beevee

I blame Dick Cheney more than Bush for the GOP failure and the economic mess created.

November 5, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  9. COLORADO

I have friends and family in China and Australia, and they are so excited for our great country right now. America is ready to lead the world into a new peaceful and prosperous era. Around the world and in our United States, millions and millions are celebrating. This is our New Years Day.

November 5, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  10. Now

Now that folks the black community have a new role model - could they PLEASE put their own houses in order - starting with eliminating the black rap crap.

November 5, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  11. Anna

SERIOUSLY...For the first time in my life, I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless Obama and Dem (include Rep.) Team.

CNN, I've never seen my comments posted. What is going on.
    Please make me happy and post this one.

November 5, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  12. Anna

SERIOUSLY…For the first time in my life, I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless Obama and Dem (include Rep.) Team.

CNN, I've "never" seen my comments posted. What is going on?
    Please make me happy and post this one.

November 5, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  13. Anna

Seriously, for the first time in my life, I can truly say, I am proud to be an American.
    I cried and was overwhelmed with joy when I found out that Obama has won. All I could think about was a brighter future and most of all a Bigger Change for the better. Not for a particular people, but for ALL People.

Please CNN post this.

November 5, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  14. andy

Just what we need. More control by a bunch of do nothing nuts. They have not done anything since Pelosi and Reid took over. Maybe the sorry bunch of losers can hold a hearing. Maybe Howard Dean will scream some more. God, please let them drink the kool aid.

November 5, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |