November 5th, 2008

Election may shatter voter turnout records

Voters waiting to cast their ballots in Chicago.

Voters waiting to cast their ballots in Chicago.

(CNN) - Americans hit the polls Tuesday in numbers that officials across the country believed would shatter election turnout records.

Although more than 24.4 million people had already cast early or absentee ballots by Monday, the continued high volume of voters had people across the United States braving long lines.

"People were there in the rain, in the cold, with their children. People close to the 100-year-mark, with their walkers and their chairs," said Elmira N. Luckey, a mental health counselor who voted in Richmond, Virginia.

Luckey said she heard some people in the line complain about the rain, but added all those complaints were followed up with "But I'm here, and I'm gonna stay here."

Full story

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. vote! OBAMA-BIDEN NOV.4th

UNITED WE STAND, OUR CHANGE IS HERE, GOD BLESS AMERICA.

November 5, 2008 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  2. tee

It is good not to have to suffer through Gov. Sarah Palin anymore.

November 5, 2008 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  3. S Callahan

This was the will of the people.

Congratulations President Obama! God's speed to you.

Thank Sen. McCain for the dignity you showed last night, God's speed to you as well.

November 5, 2008 07:05 am at 7:05 am |
  4. Christopher

In Colwyn Burough (Delaware County, PA) which is a town of roughly 3500 people, I didnt see Republicans at the polls at all. I believe that the number of Democrats Vs. Republicans was something close to 80% Dem to 20 % Republican registered turn out.

In this small town that boarders Philadelphia, we are very proud of the job that the Obama campaign accomplished.

November 5, 2008 07:05 am at 7:05 am |
  5. Pro Obama VA Women

THANK YOU AMERICA!!!!

President Obama/VP Biden

November 5, 2008 07:10 am at 7:10 am |
  6. Bob

If there was a 65% record turnout in the election, what happened to the other 35%?

November 5, 2008 07:10 am at 7:10 am |
  7. cindy

I awoke with a political cartoon in my head and I smiled. I saw George Bush grinning into his TV screen and saying to Laura, "Well, I finally did something right," because we all know that he can never admit he's wrong; but that in his heart even he knows that all of his wrongs drove the country to choosing the right president!

November 5, 2008 07:14 am at 7:14 am |
  8. Susan

What a momentous day! I am SO PROUD of this country! What an exhilarating feeling to know we are finally so close to putting back together so much of what is broken in this country. I am looking forward to what I hope will be peace breaking out all over.

November 5, 2008 07:14 am at 7:14 am |
  9. Ruth Johnson

I am so please that the Americans heard the message Obama had for restoring our country, and came together to make this happen.

I am proud of our country in electing a man of biracial ancestory. What an historical event.

I also appreciated John McCain's dignified speech in Arizona supporting President Elect Obma.

November 5, 2008 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  10. Katla Sanford

Honestly, this is the way it should be for EVERY election. I'm naive enough to think that Obama's campaign of hope is what inspired most people to vote if they never had before, not negative hateful feelings fueling the opposition.

November 5, 2008 07:34 am at 7:34 am |
  11. Jessi

I completely agree, I'm overjoyed at how many went out and voted. Yay for no voter fraud and recount upon recount. 🙂

And thank you Sen McCain for you dignity and humbleness, you have my utmost respect right now.

Congrats President-elect Obama!!!! God Bless America!

November 5, 2008 07:34 am at 7:34 am |
  12. Nicholas from Nigeria

On this historic day, we are all Americans!
    Best wishes from Nigeria.

November 5, 2008 07:35 am at 7:35 am |
  13. Happy, Bellaire, Texas

say goodbye to capitalism and your freedom

November 5, 2008 07:36 am at 7:36 am |
  14. murray

A new beginning. God bless America and our newly elected President, Barack Obama.

November 5, 2008 07:37 am at 7:37 am |
  15. Linus T.

It's interesting to see how hope can move an entire nation. Perhaps now the US can truly move forward with great hope and belief in the future. Definitely the "will of the people", by quite a resounding spread.

Now that the dream is a reality, the real work will likely have to begin.

November 5, 2008 07:37 am at 7:37 am |
  16. Oregon Voter

Luckily here we didn't have any lines, but this election ends red and blue state America; those 364 possible electoral votes are from all over this country, not just the coasts.

November 5, 2008 07:38 am at 7:38 am |
  17. Independent Dave, Cedar Rapids, IA

Goodbye Sarah!

Now, let's get to work!

November 5, 2008 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  18. E.Love

Out of many, one...........

November 5, 2008 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  19. David B

I cannot forgive McCain for the disgusting campaign he ran, regardless of how gracious he was last night. He does at least have the guts to tell a crowd to stop booing, which is more than I can say for Palin or even Hillary.

November 5, 2008 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  20. L. Dillard

We have a long way to go, we have an economy that is in a recession, heading towards a depression. President-elect Obama, the campaigning may be over, but your real job has just begun. You will face many obstacles: 1) Uniting the people of America, 2) turning the economy around, 3) health care for all americas, and 4) ending the war, and bringing our troops home. To all the nay sayers, please put your personal feelings to the side, and work with the new administration to restoring America.

November 5, 2008 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  21. DavidA

Goodbye Bush, McCain and Palin. What a relief....

Now we can get to doing some serious work about Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and North Korea.

Enough of the BALONEY.

We finally have a president who is interested in the job.

HOORAY!!!

November 5, 2008 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  22. joe

November 5, 2008 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  23. Bruce Hogman

We have a new national slogan now: "YES WE CAN". I expect to see bumper stickers with that on them. I'll get mine right now.

With our economy in a turmoil, a word used often in news here and overseas, we need to find a new cooperation in America to better our common national community. This slogan works.

November 5, 2008 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  24. thuma

i am from Maldives... and am so proud of the Americans today..

November 5, 2008 07:46 am at 7:46 am |
  25. Cindy Johnson.

This is a great moment in time. Let us all as one make this a better place to live. Let us all rejoice and start a new beginning. Let the world know that we are one and we will get back on course to let the wold know we are making the change for everyone... Thank you for all the voters who voted it shows that we can make this change.
    God Bless America