November 5th, 2008

Election may shatter voter turnout records

Voters waiting to cast their ballots in Chicago.

Voters waiting to cast their ballots in Chicago.

(CNN) - Americans hit the polls Tuesday in numbers that officials across the country believed would shatter election turnout records.

Although more than 24.4 million people had already cast early or absentee ballots by Monday, the continued high volume of voters had people across the United States braving long lines.

"People were there in the rain, in the cold, with their children. People close to the 100-year-mark, with their walkers and their chairs," said Elmira N. Luckey, a mental health counselor who voted in Richmond, Virginia.

Luckey said she heard some people in the line complain about the rain, but added all those complaints were followed up with "But I'm here, and I'm gonna stay here."

Full story

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. stx

Indeed we are the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

God Bless Barack Obama!

November 5, 2008 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  2. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

EXCELLENT! MAYBE NOW THE REPUBLICANS WILL FINALLY REALIZE THAT A MAJORITY OF AMERICANS ARE DEFINITELY NOT WITH THEIR FOR-THE-RICH-ONLY ECONOMICS, NARROW-MINDED AND EXCLUSIVE SOCIAL PLATFORM, AND MILITARISTIC FOREIGN POLICY!

November 5, 2008 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  3. JP Los Alamos, NM

The naysayers will be surprised what an intelligent man can do as president. We can look forward to the future with confidence that tomorrow will be better. Goodbye Carl Roves, goodbye neocons, goodbye W, goodbye bulldog with lipstick. Good riddance.

November 5, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  4. GMan

Knock ... Knock
    Who's There?
    Hey Obama ... where's my Money? I voted for you, give me my Money!

November 5, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  5. Christopher

For the first time, I can say these words and truly believe them: "One nation, under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all."

November 5, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  6. J Barr

I am so elated that fear has finally taken a back seat in America!!!

We as a nation stood up and said enough is enough! We will not be afraid of skin color or middle names. We will not be bullied into ignoring the past misdeeds and years of corruption. We will look forward to the future with dignity and excitement, knowing that we are the ones who brought about this change.

Here's to hard work, dedication and an enduring spirit!

November 5, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  7. emily

To Nate W.... being black has nothing, i repeat NOTHING to do with Obamas win last night! He was elected by the whole country.. by a land-slide vote!!! I think he will do mant many great things for the country, and also i think he will be elected in the next election as well... Welcome to the CHANGE!

November 5, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  8. Lydia G

America awakens from a deep and troubled sleep.

November 5, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  9. Joe Sixpack

Bob November 5th, 2008 7:10 am ET

If there was a 65% record turnout in the election, what happened to the other 35%?

SLACKERS

November 5, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  10. michael

may God truly bless America you have elected a beacon of hope for the entire world..thank you from Canada

November 5, 2008 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  11. dave

Yes we had record turn....of course we did. We actually had record turn out by people "blacks" who to this point didn't give a crap about voting, or the elections, or this country. And they sure have no idea about issues other than the ones surrounding them continuing to get thier free handouts. This was a payback vaote against the whites – nothing more, nothing less.

November 5, 2008 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  12. Anneke

Congratulations to all those who voted and made their vote count for change in America. As an American living (and voting from) overseas, this is a day I can actually be proud of my country. Mr. Obama is right, our constitution is designed so that when the Government no longer reflects the will of the people, the people have the ability to change that Government. This is the best way to spread democracy throughout the world, by example rather than than by force. The new Govt has a hard road ahead to repair the damage caused by the past 8 years, not just to the economy, but in healing the rifts caused by the GOP's polarizing tactics within the US and in the rest of the world. I hope that the USA can refresh its image and policies to align with the new global landscape. I also admire the grace McCain demonstrated last night, I hope that he returns to his non-partisan platform.

November 5, 2008 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  13. V. Elliott

To God be the glory. I would like to extend my congratulations to the new elected President of the United States of America Barack Obama. We can all be proud as a nation and a country. It gives me great pleasure to know that the country can come together as one no matter what the color of our skin is.

It is time when God said it is time. God Bless the United States of America.

November 5, 2008 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  14. mitch

nate. you can always leave.

November 5, 2008 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  15. Tina

Nate,

One thing is for sure he will do a better job then GWB the GOP candidate for 2000 and 2004 I am sure a president you voted for and had hopes for and he is leaving this country in shabbles. He didn't win just because he is black he won because a majority of America needs a change and America is made up of minotities and if you don't like it MOVE.

November 5, 2008 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  16. Intelligent Mind

Broad generalizations and baseless claims that people elected a man because he's black are outlandish and offensive. Independent polling data clearly shows that race was not a factor. Obama would have got my vote if he were white, yellow, or purple.

November 5, 2008 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  17. Thomas

Thank God we told the right-wing establishment in the nation we've had enough. In 2004 I declared 2 things 1) re-elect Bush and this country will be near bankruptcy when he leaves -TRUE and 2) another Bush administration will only strengthen the Democrats in 2008 – TRUE.

George W. Bush – What were you thinking?

November 5, 2008 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  18. J Gosh

All I have read and heard is how America is going to be better off with Obama as President and how the Republicans have made a mess of this country. I am hear too tell you that the Demarcates have had control of the government for the last 4 years and they are the ones who screwed up this great country. All I can say is people be prepared to buckle your belt even tighter because the Demarcates now have control over everything and recession is going to hit hard. You all wanted change, you got change and it will not be a welcoming change. I do wish Obama the best but will not stand behind the politics he is going to enforce.

November 5, 2008 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  19. Jennifer

this is so awesome. the whole country will (should) have a great day (4 years).

November 5, 2008 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  20. Eric R.

For the first time in 8 years I feel some optimism. Nothing is perfect but Obama has restored my faith that we can, as a nation, make a Good Choice and look past race and toward the future. Enough with the politics of hate and bigotry and negativism. Enough with losing our place as moral leader of the world. Welcome Obama. I hope we see an era that washes away the memory of the last 30 years of excess, greed, and short sightedness.

November 5, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  21. Elizabeth, Lansing, Illinois

Now the real work begins. Go Obama!

November 5, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  22. Josie Smith

This election represents the true meaning of Diversity that America has been talking about for so long. I believe President Elect Obama will be the president for all people and I look forward to this new day. He is aware of the great job ahead of him as we should be also, and so, we should be patient and helpful in everyway possible. I am not only a women of color, but I am an American and pround to be an American.

McCain's concession speech was great...he sounded like a statesman for sure and I hope that his supporters will accept the fact that President Elect Obama will be their president too, as he promised in his acceptance speech. The way he ran his campaign is evident of that promise.

November 5, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  23. Jack

I am an Evangelical and I say thank God for Mr. Obama. He sent him to us for a reason and I am sure we will all be better for it. This is a new world and we need new younger minds to lead us. Let us all support his administration and maybe, just maybe, tomorrow will be a brighter day for America and the world.

November 5, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  24. a wilson

President Obama was elected by the people of the UNITED STATES not by just a race of people. He is OUR President. President Obama just happens to be a man of many races.

Now "Let's Get Busy"

November 5, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  25. Gordon

This election will mark the end of affirmative action. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton can't be professional victims any longer.

November 5, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |