November 5th, 2008

Election may shatter voter turnout records

Voters waiting to cast their ballots in Chicago.

Voters waiting to cast their ballots in Chicago.

(CNN) - Americans hit the polls Tuesday in numbers that officials across the country believed would shatter election turnout records.

Although more than 24.4 million people had already cast early or absentee ballots by Monday, the continued high volume of voters had people across the United States braving long lines.

"People were there in the rain, in the cold, with their children. People close to the 100-year-mark, with their walkers and their chairs," said Elmira N. Luckey, a mental health counselor who voted in Richmond, Virginia.

Luckey said she heard some people in the line complain about the rain, but added all those complaints were followed up with "But I'm here, and I'm gonna stay here."

Full story

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. Linda Kay--Minnesota

I am so proud of our country and all those wonderful young people who really got into this election. I also have to say I am one of the grammas who proudly supported Mr. Obama without reservation. Now, let's all work together and get this country moving again.

November 5, 2008 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  2. Randy

To Nate,
    It is a sad day that people like you call this a sad day and I feel sorry for you that you can not give this a chance. As an American I have given the Republican party a chance for 8 years and look where we are. Now it is your turn to do the same.

November 5, 2008 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  3. Ken

Change is what this country needed. McCain promised to do the same things Bush has done and look where it has gotten our economy! I am pleased to see America has chosen the best candidate. I wish Obama and his team the best!

November 5, 2008 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  4. Steve in Texas

I am proud and HOPEFUL. America did the right thing. I'm a Republican, but I took a chance and voted for change with hope. McCain is a very honorable man, however the time has come to usher in a NEW era in the UNITED States! Obama will not be the solution to everything, nor will he be perfect, but he will lead us through a new door and on a new path. It is historic and after the past 7 years, long over due. God Bless America, ALL OF US!

November 5, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  5. Neill D

I voted incumbent across the board, hoping for a fresh perspective in Washington. I'm happy to see much turnover in the Senate and House.

November 5, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  6. Matt

Do you think, possibly, Obama was elected because he has the better plans to take us somewhere and make real progress? That might have had to do with it. Don't be a sore loser.

November 5, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  7. Kathryn

For the first time in my life I can say that I am proud to be an American and that I have hope for our Nation. I hope that we can stand tall and proud again, instead of covering our eyes and pretending that everything is okay. Now here's to hoping that Obama will accomplish everything that he has promised. Good Luck to America!-

November 5, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  8. James B.

What's amazing to me is that after reading through people's thoughts, they are so backward, so brainwashed, so live in a small box with a small peephole to look out from that they consider an Obama victory a disaster. Obama is what we need now after the Republicans totally destroyed the country. He's likable, he's a great speak, and most of all he's smart. Regan, whom many of people worship was a great speaker, likable, and fairly uneducated. Wouldn't people rather have someone who graduated from Harvard with a stellar grade point average rather than someone who was lucky to graduate at all?

Wake up people! This is the Dawning of the Age of 'America'

November 5, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  9. M. Armstead

HOPE and FAITH is what gets us up in the morning, what makes us go during the day and what allows a peaceful sleep at night. We see it in our children, friends and family that is what makes neighborhoods, communities, cities, the nation. We should ALL feel proud, Now...lets get to work.

November 5, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  10. Paul, military veteran 1966-1994

What a peaceful transition!

Americans again today demontrated that in a democracy while we can disagree with great fervour holding positions of profound extremity we can hold a civil election and change our leadership in a tranquil and uplifting manner.

I'm prouder today of my American heritage and the ideals which our county stands for and is a beacon of hope to a world with so many striving to be free.

God bless and sustain our new president and the others who were elected or re-elected today.

And finally, may the Obama sisters truly enjoy their new puppy!

November 5, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  11. gbr

That's the problem with the politics of division – you keep ending up with smaller numbers.

November 5, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  12. Vanessa

It's the first time in YEARS that I can say I'm proud to be an American!!

November 5, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  13. Uncle John in NC

Nate W (1st comment),
    President-elect Obama will be your Commander in Chief as well...regardless of your ignorance and narrow-mindedness.

Our Country has been led by politicians who felt more secure in harboring your vote by injecting fear and deviciveness than to expect a higher level of quality service, vision and self-respect from voters.

Go away or Transform. Either way, we're moving forward.

God Bless the United States of America

November 5, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  14. Joell Augustine

I'm really glad that Obama won. I think that this proves that the younger generations really do want change since we'll be inheriting it this country soon enough. It's important for repulicans to remember that we are still one group even if their candidate didn't win and I would still feel that same way if McCain had won the election instead of Obama.

November 5, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  15. raju

I can already feel it. It is a new America Today. Cant wait for Jan 20th. Thank you America.

November 5, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  16. Santa Fean

Thank you Sean "hatemonger" Hannity, Rush "analycyst" Limbaugh and Bill O! Thinking people rejected your hate! Palin can go back home and walk with the dinosaurs! Good bye to Bush, the worst President ever!

November 5, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  17. Eric

Welcome to flight 44 on Obama Airlines, we will be ascending to new heights. Please fasten your seat belts.

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL!!!!

November 5, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  18. Mel

USA is not a white country. Usa ius a black country just like any country in Africa. I am moviing to Canada now. I can't live here anymore.

November 5, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  19. Kathi

Nate W – I'm sorry you feel people voted for Obama because he is black. That was not the case for me, as a matter of fact color has never made a difference to me either way but it is a historical moment that his color was not the reason for people to not vote for him.

I voted for who I thought could turn this economy around and get the USA back into a state of prosperity instead of joblessness, homelessness, and desperation. He has his work cut out for him, I only hope people don't stand in his way.

November 5, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  20. Kadenze

Congratulations!
    America is all grown up!!!!

The will of the PEOPLE has prevailed!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

GOD BLESS OBAMA/BIDEN!!
    Now lets get to work!

November 5, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  21. Steve Soderlund

The world watched in awe as our democracy worked. This demonstration and result displays yet again the resolve of the American people to take a stand and say enough is enough. We as a people will always hold to the absolute fact that this is our nation and our country. We as a people will together determine our future. And when this concept of the future gets off course, we will correct it, and correct it quickly. I couldn't be more proud to be an American.

November 5, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  22. Marianne

God Bless the United States of America! The place where hope has triumphed over hate and mean spirtedness. Let us use this victory to come together and live out the meaning of ONE NATION UNDER GOD INDIVISIBLE!!!

November 5, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  23. DB

An excellent result. We've installed in the White House someone who is both one of the most effective legislators of our time, one of the calmest and at the same time most persuasive leaders in generations, and has the leadership and organizing skills to instill a new sense of purpose in our country. Abroad, if his temperament and performance so far are any indication, he will be less easily ruffled by our adversaries than any previous president since Eisenhower. I fully expect those who are understandably concerned by his relatively short time in public office will be won over in the months and years ahead.

November 5, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  24. Not Nate W

Very happy day for America, as Americans turned out to elect a man with experience, to elect a man with credentials, and to elect a man because he says the right thing; despite being black. Truly a happy day. I really have hope, and I hope he does a better job then I expect. But I know he will.

November 5, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  25. Kawanis

This is Amazing! I was up all night watching and it didn't REALLY hit me until about 6 o'clock this morning. I could not be more proud of this country. I guess I don't understand what some people mean when they say "Good bye to your freedom"? That is one of the most ignorant comments I've ever heard. No matter who is in the White House, I don't see our freedom being taken by anyone. And shame on you for thinking such a thing. We are human. We may not agree on the same things but good grief! Come January 20, 2009 Barack Obama will be your president! I could totally understand if this was his second term and he did a terrible job in the first. We need to come together as country to try and get ourselves out of the hole Bush put us in. I am not at all a fan of McCain, but if he had won, Yes, I'd be disappointed but I'd be giving him the same respect I give Obama. And you should too.

November 5, 2008 08:28 am at 8:28 am |