November 5th, 2008

Election may shatter voter turnout records

Voters waiting to cast their ballots in Chicago.

Voters waiting to cast their ballots in Chicago.

(CNN) - Americans hit the polls Tuesday in numbers that officials across the country believed would shatter election turnout records.

Although more than 24.4 million people had already cast early or absentee ballots by Monday, the continued high volume of voters had people across the United States braving long lines.

"People were there in the rain, in the cold, with their children. People close to the 100-year-mark, with their walkers and their chairs," said Elmira N. Luckey, a mental health counselor who voted in Richmond, Virginia.

Luckey said she heard some people in the line complain about the rain, but added all those complaints were followed up with "But I'm here, and I'm gonna stay here."

Full story

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. Palin has more experience than Obama

To all those that voted for McCain as I did I say remember that this is our system and everyone had a chance to vote. McCain did not win. Obama won and that is that. I look forward to seeing us (everyone in the USA) move forward.

November 5, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  2. Marie, New Jersey

What a relief that this is over and we can turn our heads toward the sun again. The auspice is for not only Mr. Obama, but for ourselves as well. Get involved, work your community; YES WE CAN instill that change a gesture at a time.

God Bless us all; time to breathe change.....................

GOBAMA!

November 5, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  3. Brian from Fort Mill, SC

And he won with twice the electoral votes as McCain. No need for recounts!

November 5, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  4. Scared

Hope you're right!

November 5, 2008 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  5. Elizabeth

I don't understand Nate W. There is no one that has experience as president before they are elected, unless that person has served a term and is up for re-election. I was one of the ones who were undecided when I walked in to vote. We have to give everyone a chance to prove themselves in every aspect of life. So Nate never under estimate anyone that you come across in life, you know don't know what they are capable of.

November 5, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  6. Michele

I am very happy with the outcome. I, like so many others want change. This is such a historical moment, for all of us. I think Barack Obama's victory speech last night was right on. He won, but spoke of the great challenges ahead. I loved that he and Sen. John McCain spoke very kindly of each other. I wish all elections could end like this. It's moments like this it does make me feel like we all can come together as americans, not labeling each other by what we look like or what our ideologies are. God Bless America!!

November 5, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  7. Isabel Perez

I'm very disappointed, I really wish people had done their research. As much as I would have liked a minority or woman president (I'm a democrat), Obama is not right for America. This was a racial issue. When radical muslims and other terrorists attack the U.S. again after troops are brought home; after businesses and big companies pull out to other countries and people lose their jobs; after more people lose their homes as the economy worsens; I can sadly laugh at those who voted Obama in and say "I told you so"

November 5, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  8. Chris R.

A glorious day for America ! The Heartland, with a boldness rarely seen today, have forcefully repudiated the past eight years of the failed Bush Administration. Now, with our heads held high, we can again take our place as a respected player in the World again.
    Obama is a breath of fresh air in a System that has gotten too bogged down in cronyism

November 5, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  9. word

Good bye is spelled good bye. Good luck!

November 5, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  10. Hillary supporter

Obama is the BY FAR better choice

He might be inexperience, but he has shown his leadership skills in managing his campaign, his calm reactions during the financial meltdown...

McCain had trouble controlling his own campaign and certainly choosing Palin is his biggest downfall...

November 5, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  11. Brian from Fort Mill, SC

Nate W:

It's not too late to move to Canada. They still have a white president!

November 5, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  12. Tom K

In response to the comment from Nate W. -- Nate, not sure what you were watching during this election, but you need to give the president elect a chance. Also, give all Americans who voted the credit for getting out and making history whether you agree with the results or not. I would hope that when votes were cast, that race did not play a part as you stated. It's time to move away from that type of thinking and be a true American.

November 5, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  13. R Powell

What a great day for all of us! I am once again generated by the notion of hope for All Americans. It is my sincere hope that President Obama and Vice President Biden actions will truely demonstrate an end to polices that crush and use others for personal gain.

November 5, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  14. Antoine Brown, Virginia

I'm speechless and SO proud to be an American. Congratulations President Elect Obama and Vice President Elect Biden. God's speed to Senator McCain from one Navy man to another.

November 5, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  15. Brian

For the first time in a long time, I'm actually proud of something this country has done. Being a war prisoner is not really what I would call optimal foreign policy experience Sen. McCain. I respect the hell outta you for it, but hearing about your war experiences isn't going to help the economy. Time to heal the rift and become the country the rest of the world looked up to again.

November 5, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  16. Sharon Ervin

I don't consider our new president to be African American. He's half black and it shows, but he is also half white. Barak Obama is a melting pot blend like me and most of the rest of us.

I wish the media people would stop referring to him as the first African American president. I wish they would just identify our new guy as Mr. President.

November 5, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  17. Aja

Or maybe they elected him because he says and DOES the right thing and inspires people to believe in something again. Maybe, unlike your comment, Nate W, people voted for him for all the reasons EXCEPT his race, because unlike you, they see past trivial things like that and hope for better.

It's a very sad day for America when people still think like you do.

November 5, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  18. Dale E

Nate W- You have it wrong. Obama wasn't elected because of his race, but rather because of his well thought out ideas, his coolness under pressure, and his realism of the world we live by. McCain –despite his experience- has been making rookie mistakes (Palin. etc.) and has been making Pollyanna pronouncements, such as cutting taxes for everyone, while also staying in Iraq for 100 years, substantially increasing military spending, and a host of other wild promises. McCain could not think of a single thing in his plans that would have to change because of the current economy. We voted for the realist who didn't have to resort to personal attacks because of a lack of ideas to fix our national problems.

November 5, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  19. JAI PRESLEY

HONESTLY I DONT THINK THAT PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA WON BECAUSE HES BLACK....HE WON BECAUSE HES THE BETTER MAN FOR THE JOB AND OVER 50 MILLILON DECIDED THAT YESTERDAY!!!!! IT WAS A FAIR FIGHT....AND NOW CHANGE HAS COME...

November 5, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  20. gepars

It crushed my retired college professor father to see Bush reelected in 2004 – using fear and Orwell's 1984 redefinitions of "freedom" while the intelligent minority voted against him. My father's wisdom knew that in spite of his efforts to educate for almost 40 years, and personal bravery and loss in the Korean War that the country would be horribly hurt with top leadership with such a shallow view of the world. From Chesty Puller to McArthur to his Turkish allies, his old wisdom said that smart, transformational leaders move this country forward. I hope and pray that my father can look down upon this country (from heaven) and realize that for all of his anguish, there is just as much JOY today !!!

November 5, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  21. j miller

well played United States...well played indeed, now we have to rebuild and heal from the campains and hope that the other side, as well as the winning side can be big about the challenges we face, cause they are many..and it will take a village to raise every child , it will take all of us being our brothers and sisters keeper..and the world has seen what we have done and ..people of the United States ..the world as also said well done and "we are ready to work with you"

November 5, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  22. greg g

dont be an idiot. Be gracious like Mccain. And it is than,,,, not then

November 5, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  23. not nate w.

are you serious? maverick-ly speaking, but did you fail to even look at the results? obama won. let america begin to shine again. we are finally the light shining at the top of the hill.

November 5, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  24. Gregory Wickramasinghe

As a man of color, I am so thrilled to see that the Greatest Country on Earth has put the color barrier to rest ,once-n- for all. Hope rest of the world will follow through.

Toronto, Canada

November 5, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  25. D. Owens - GSO, North Carolina

I have never been so inspired by a political figure. I have so much respect for Barack Obama.

His address not only to the American People but also to the World last night was humble and showed his deep understanding of how everyone in the world was truly watching the United States and the results of this election. The United States needs a positive and respectful voice on the world stage and we need someone who will focus his efforts on re-building our great country first.

Obama sees this all too clearly/

We have before us now a President who may just be the most inspirational, thought provoking and profound leader of the last 50 years if not the last century. Hold on America, this is the dawning of a new time. Change indeed has come.

November 5, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |