November 5th, 2008

Exit Polls: Gay Marriage in CA

In California exit polls reported thus far tonight, Proposition 8 appears to be going down to a narrow 52 percent to 48 percent defeat.The proposition would amend California's state constitution to eliminate the right of same-sex couples to marry. Earlier in the year, the California Supreme Court issued a ruling making such marriages legal under the state's constitution

If the trend holds, younger, first-time voters can be said to be responsible for Proposition 8's defeat. Voters between the ages of 18 and 29 opposed the proposition 66 percent to 34 percent; voters 30-64 were evenly split; voters 65 and above favored the amendment 57 percent to 43 percent.

First-time voters cast their ballots against the proposition by a 64 percent to 36 percent margin. The rest of the electorate favored the amendment 52 percent to 48 percent.

Californians who attend church weekly voted for Proposition 8 by an 83 percent to 17 percent. Those who attended church occasionally voted 40 percent in favor and 60 percent opposed. Californians who never attend church were 14 percent in favor and 86 percent against.

College graduates opposed Proposition 8 by a 57 percent to 43 percent margin. Those without a college degree favored it, 53 percent to 47 percent.

African-Americans voted for Proposition 8 by a 69 percent to 31 percent margin. However, 55 percent of white voters and 52 percent of Hispanics voted against the proposition.

Filed under: Same-sex marriage
  1. Joe, The Obama Supporter!

We elected an AA President, Time to get over the Gay Marriage phobia.

WE ARE ALL ONE PEOPLE AND ALL DESERVE THE SAME RIGHTS!!

November 5, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  2. tuan

we should repaint the white house into black to celebrate this historic moment .. first time ever ever a black man with no expericences got an opt to run this nation..

November 5, 2008 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  3. Darth Vadik, CA

I'm looking at the results coming in and I hope the exit polls are correct.

We amend the constitution to add rights, not take them away.

November 5, 2008 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  4. Brandi-bottom of the boot

I certainly hope we dont go backwards in time regarding the rights of people to love who they choose.

November 5, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  5. David

I believe that gays should be recognized by the state and have all the benefits but marriage is a sacred institution ordained by God. That is it. Nothing else to discuss.

November 5, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  6. Walt, Belton,TX

God help U.S. The hell with Mexifornia..........

November 5, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  7. justin

I hope they stay 55-45...not in my state

November 5, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  8. Tim

Please take Tuan's comment off–how can this be in any sense acceptable at this moment? Or any moment?

November 5, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  9. DCskies

tuan-

"we should repaint the white house into black to celebrate this historic moment .. "

That's crossing a line. While I to see and celebrate watching history in the making, to even suggestion something of that nature represents the very ideas that Senator, excuse me, President Elect, Obama is trying to move away from. One nation, one people.

November 5, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  10. Pete

Let freedom ring!

November 5, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  11. Barbara in NC

tuan – you are one sick puppy – seek professional help

November 5, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  12. Dan from Philly

Great news!

Nothing but bigotry and hostility makes people oppose gay marriage. I'm sorry to see it's so close, but one step at a time.

Oh, and tuan, shut up loser. Better some white fossil Bush clone wins? Eat it, sucker.

November 5, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  13. Hilary

Equal protection and equal rights for everyone!!

November 5, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  14. Jerry Smith

tuan

Leave the White House and it's proud American tradition, alone.

The Obamas will live in it just like the Bushes, and the Kennedys, and the Lincolns did.

You extremists are always screwing things up with your irrational fantasies.

November 5, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  15. Ignacio Lopez

This is an issue that should not be mixed with civil rights. This is about respecting and preserving the institution of marriage between a man and a woman. God created males for females and females for males, gay couples already have the rights of partner benefits.

November 5, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  16. Gary

Those exit polls aren't matching the ballot results....Prop 8 is being defeated so far –54% to 46%.

November 5, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  17. XYZ

I Voted a American into the WHITE house
    HIS SKIN DIDNT MATTER TO ME
    SO painting the white house black is soooo Racist
    A lot of White Americans like my self Voted for Obama

November 5, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  18. KathleenM1

Proves once again that religion is the breeding ground of ignorance and prejudice. Wouldn't it be great if it were gay and lesbian Americans who are the ones to put the final nail in the coffin of Christian bigotry.

November 5, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  19. Travis

Interesting that AAs are voted predominantly *for* the ban.

November 5, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  20. Kyle

I'm disturbed that so many people say that opposition to Prop 8 is about being tolerant. Yet, these same people created an advertisement for California television stations against the Mormon Church. This is tolerance? Why is it that we must be tolerant of one group of people, but at the same time intolerant of another?

November 5, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  21. suzanne

why did I bother to vote? Why did I spend months listening to the candidates? One second after 8, when my polls had just closed, Obama was elected. Why? I voted for Obama but my vote hadn't had one second to be counted.

November 5, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  22. Cinnamon Kilburn

Congratulations to all gay married people in California. I wish you the best. I hope someday same sex marriage will be legal all over the country, so my partner and I can be married as well. Tonight is a moment in history my future children will be studying. Me and my partner will explain to them the importance of voting, as well as the importance of equal rights.

November 5, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  23. Patriotic

George Washington didnt have any experience, and he did all right.

November 5, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  24. Rudy

Tuan, get a grip. Your guy lost and Barack won! We are moving forward to a great time in America. And yes, Barack Obama favors equal rights for gays and lesbians....YES WE CAN!

November 5, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  25. CLINTON

I DOUBT IS A "GAY MARRIAGE PHOBIA" JOE, UNLESS OF COURSE YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD...

"GOD BLESS AMERICA"