November 5th, 2008

Exit Polls: Young Voters

National exit polling shows 18 percent of today's voters were aged 18-29. While that 's up sharply from this age group's 12 percent turnout for the 2006 election, its exactly the same as the percentage of 18-29 year olds as in the 2004 and 2000 presidential elections.

Seventeen percent of the voters in 1996 were 18-29 year olds and in 1992, the number was 21 percent. That means, if today's trend holds, candidate Bill Clinton will have turned-out a larger percentage of young voters in 1992 than Barack Obama did this year. In Ronald Reagan's re-election year of 1984, 24 percent of the voters were 18-29. When Jimmy Carter was elected in 1976, a full 29 percent of the voters were 18-29.

Among this year's 18-29 year olds, exit polling shows 66 percent voted for Obama and 31 percent for McCain

Filed under: Exit Polls
  1. dani

I cant believe that we elected a man who:

A) Can't provide papers/documentation to prove he is an American citizen. B) Would not be hired as an FBI,CIA or Secret Service agent because of his background and relationships with known terrorits. C) Voted against making English the official language of the USA and finally D) Has been quoted as saying that he would invite known terrorists and dictators to the WH for a face to face. WHen I say terrorists I mean, Chavez etc...the President of Iran...why oh why would we elect this man? God save and help us all!

November 5, 2008 04:20 am at 4:20 am |
  2. katie

michael moore did say americans are the dumbest people in the world.

November 5, 2008 04:23 am at 4:23 am |
  3. Billx2

This is a stupid way to read the statistic. What matters is what % of youth voted, not what % of voters were youth.

I guess this is what Bill said, only shorter. Joe Von Kanel: plz fix ur article.

November 5, 2008 04:31 am at 4:31 am |
  4. Jules Mcoubilly

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMERICA A COUNTRY THAT ALWAYS FIND AND REDEFIND ITSELF AND THIS TIME IN ONE OF THE TOUGHEST MOMENT!

November 5, 2008 04:39 am at 4:39 am |
  5. HUH?

I love how people think if you don't vote for Obama, it's childish bigotry.

November 5, 2008 04:40 am at 4:40 am |
  6. Gracie

The McCain camp made a BIG MISTAKE in underestimating the YOUNG VOTERS in this country. They are bright, highly educated and did NOT like the fact that the McCain camp dissed them from day one and counted on their OLDER WHITE VOTER BASE who was NO MATCH for the young voters!! Bottom line.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE OUR YOUNG AND WELL EDUCATED VOTERS!

November 5, 2008 04:44 am at 4:44 am |
  7. Patrick

VERY MISLEADING and INACCURATE article that mis-cites statistics for the reasons cited by Monique. The article does not indicate the percent of eligible young people who actually voted. It reflects the percent of all voters who are within a certain age range.

Didn't you realize that the baby-boomer generation is the most populous group of voters? THat 29% slice in 1976 was not due to Carter's "get out the youth vote" efforts,but is simply due to the sheer size of the Baby Boomer generation. The Boomers will always constitute the most populous group of voters,so in 8-12 years you can predict a big uptick in the "Senior , 65+" vote.

November 5, 2008 05:09 am at 5:09 am |
  8. Chris

Without the young vote Obama wouldn't have won. Did the youth really take a full look at Obama?

November 5, 2008 05:22 am at 5:22 am |
  9. Johnny

Our only hope now is that GOD will help us, the working people of this nation and the people who have worked 50 plus years and now find that there is no hope left other than GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

November 5, 2008 05:27 am at 5:27 am |
  10. donna

Thanks to all the kids that voted, now make sure you do it every year there's an election ...........
    All of Bush's Cabinet members and his croonies belong in TEXAS, all the crooks who almost destoryed our Nation because of their GREED and SPENDING , they can all move to Crawford, Tx.... I pray to GOD that the republicans are NEVER EVER allowed to gain control of anything again other than themselves, our nation couldnt handle any more of the Republican's sex scandals, bribery or their mismanagement of our nations affairs ...
    Thanks GOODNESS for the Democrats .......

November 5, 2008 05:31 am at 5:31 am |
  11. CB2

WooHoo!!!! Obama had the best campaign in campaign history. McCain is a good guy to be respected, but his campaign in conjunction with the economy didn't help him any.

Yes We Can!!!! The young voters are our future generations. They have come out in droves. They have spoken. And I LOVE what I hear. Change has come to America.

I'm grateful to all OBAMA/BIDEN supporters!!!!

November 5, 2008 05:35 am at 5:35 am |
  12. Elly

And so they conquered. "The American People have spoken, and they have spoken clearly."
    So many dreams have come true, so many people's hope ignited. Its called the power to believe. Thanks to the American people who have chosen hope over fear, reason over scepticism. May Obama's tenure be filled with success and prosperity.
    For those of us who have aspirations, we have gained the momentum to believe further in our abilities. Together we can change the world. Thanks to sen. MCcain for accepting graciously.
    My only hope is that we here in Africa get something to learn from this great race for humanity. I hope my country Uganda finally gets to embrace change and move away from the NO CHANGE negativity of the status quo.
    God Bless the World

November 5, 2008 05:39 am at 5:39 am |
  13. Amy

This is why in America you should have to wait til your 30 to vote after you've lived a while and had a job and have a clue who you're voting for not just the current fad!

November 5, 2008 05:53 am at 5:53 am |
  14. donna

Now I totally understand Michelles Obamas comments a few months ago,
    Last night I was never more proud of my country and its citizens as I was watching Senator Obama become our next PRESIDENT … We have come a long way, and I am proud of everyone, and so proud to be an American, for the past 8 years the Bush Administration has made me ashamed of our leaders… We still have a ways to go, but everyone in the WORLD could see our progress last night …..And I am proud to be an American ………….
    Thanks so much

November 5, 2008 06:01 am at 6:01 am |
  15. American the Beautiful

November 5, 2008 06:06 am at 6:06 am |
  16. Albo58

Unfortunately younger voters also vote for hype instead of substance and with the far left media and educational institutions, I don't see this sad fact changing any time soon!

November 5, 2008 06:13 am at 6:13 am |
  17. SGS

How powerful...

The FIRST conversation I had with family and friends after the contest was called was

1. We as African Americans have a lot of work to do to take care of community and family,
    2. The government can't do this on its own
    3. We are ready to work
    4. The overwhelming support of diverse communities

in between tears, I can't stop thanking ALL of America. The message based on this election in this is more than I can take in right now...

November 5, 2008 06:13 am at 6:13 am |
  18. Doc G

We'll have to re-evaluate the role of Generation X and millenials- our youth. I am so proud!

November 5, 2008 06:15 am at 6:15 am |
  19. Carl

Myself my wife and many of our friends and family are white over fifty not collage educated and we voted for Obama because he is the best person for the job and if as I have heard you atribut his win to collage educated whites you will be saddly mistaken and continue a steriotype of white racism .

November 5, 2008 06:37 am at 6:37 am |
  20. Dave from Menifee

they did it. As a middle age American this is the best thing that came out of this election.

November 5, 2008 06:45 am at 6:45 am |
  21. Steve in CT

And so we've reached the begining of the end. First his bigger government will have our medical records, then our financial records will be shared, then comes a paperless monitary system and then yopur government will be forcing you how to think, Otherwise your credit will mbe gone, you can't buy food, anyone who helps you has the same happen to them and you'll have a chip inserted in your forehead (the mark of the beast) to track your movements. Don't blame me. I didn't do it. Did you?

November 5, 2008 07:05 am at 7:05 am |
  22. blkkbbeauty

I AM SO PROUD OF OUR YOUNG PEOPLE ! THEY HAVE SPOKEN AND BEEN HEARD, i AM EXTREMELY proud OF MY DAUGHTER 22 and MY NEPHEW 20, I AM PROUD OF MY FRIENDS DAUGHTER ALSO 22 AND HER SON 18, THESE YOUNG PEOPLE WENT OUT AND MADE A DIFFERENCE AND NOW THEY KNOW ITS NOTHING, NOTHING ! THEY CANT DO ! GOD BLESS OBAMA AND HIS FAMILY ! GOD BLESS AMERICA !

ONE BY ONE BY THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN !

November 5, 2008 07:40 am at 7:40 am |