November 5th, 2008

Financial crisis will drive agenda

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - The wear-and-tear of a 22-month campaign may seem like a Caribbean vacation next to what awaits President-elect Barack Obama when he takes over as the 44th president of the United States.

In his first year in office, he will have to tackle the mountain of complex and unprecedented problems facing the country. His agenda will be driven by the need to stabilize the financial system and the pained economy.

Since mid-September, which was the last time CNNMoney.com took a crack at gauging what No. 44's economic to-do list would be, the financial world - and Washington - have been turned on their heads.

Click here to read more at CNNMoney.com

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNNMoney.com • Economy
  1. Joe in NJ

My company, which is considered "big business", just announced a slew of layoffs to help meet profit goals. Fortunately I am safe this time around but many of the people I work closely with are not. My concern is that if Obama raises taxes on "big business", this will affect our profit goals even more and we'll get hit with another round of layoffs.

November 5, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  2. Independent In NY

Gee,

I was hoping to read about people talking about re-uniting america, but this board seems to be full of hatred and intolerance. The neo-conservative record and philosophy is debunked, PERIOD. They had eight years, and nearly destroyed this country. So, instead of taliking about what we should be, I'm gonna have to slap you nasty, unamerican hate mongering right wingers again...

LOSING IS NATURES WAY OF SAYING "YOU SUCK!!!!"

November 5, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  3. Sanchez

Terry in NY....watch the Zeitgeist movie. Bush didn't keep up safe the last seven years. He's the reason things happened in the first place. Do your research! And people please stop HATING on the man. You make yourself look so bad when you complain and complain. He is your PRESIDENT. If you don't agree, then relocate to another country!!

November 5, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  4. Guppy

Bachmann and Stevens got relected? Proof that there are still retards in this country.

November 5, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  5. party of five

To all who think this campaign is about giving tax money to the lazy, good for nothing trolls out there. I have news for you, there maybe a few of them, but as a whole I believe most Americans are hard working people whose wages couldn't keep up with the explosive prices in fuel cost and everything that went up because of it. The trickle down that Bush embraced never made it past the majority of the ceo's who needed more, more and more. We need a change in this country and I believe we just voted change in. Thank you America.
    God Bless.

November 5, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  6. Paul

Same old song! No change just the same old excuses, just different corrupt politican.

November 5, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  7. Sweetie

It is truly a SAD DAY for America when our dependents have elected into office an Empty suit who is now part of a VERY DANGEROUS TRILOGY!

Absolute Power corrupts absolutely and Reid, Pelosi, and Obama have already proven they are corrupt so look out America we are going to experience "Change"!

During the LBJ years I lost many good friends and relatives to the War in Vietnam, During the Carter years I was a young women married to a Silicon Valley Executive making good money, with two children in Grade School, I wish I was kidding when I say I couldn't afford shoes for my kids!

I will survive because I'm resourceful, but I FEAR our Nation will not!

November 5, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  8. in Pa

Where's my check !

November 5, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  9. Michael M, Phoenix AZ

The financial crisis is just that...a crisis that will take a time to get out of since it took a long time to get us in this fix. It won't happen overnight, no matter who would have been elected. To pay down George's debt, you have to have some actual revenue flowing into the coffers. Cutting big oil and big business taxes like McCain wouldn't work anyway, as non of those tax breaks would have even trickled down...the profits made by paying less taxes would have ended up in the pocketbooks of share holders and company executives like always.

November 5, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  10. the snarly old hawk squawks in fellowship square

Enough,enough of the hate filled vitriol that has been the benchmark
    of this election campaign.The people have spoken and now is the time to put all the divisions aside and get to work.Most posts here have failed to even acknowledge the content of the article,the economy
    stupid!!The countries economic situation has not only affected the U.S.
    but the whole world and it's going to take a hell of alot of work to correct it.The problem doesn't rest with one party or the other but the solution sure the hell does.It is going to take the co-operation of all
    political persuasions to roll up their collective sleeves and dig out of this mess.And if you can't contribute anything but divisive ramblings,get the hell out of the way for those who want to succeed.

November 5, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  11. danielle

oh yea..well get the change the unamerican prez talks about...well be changing the money that is ours from our pockets into the govornments

November 5, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  12. Anonymous

God Bless America and all americans who made the right choice and elected President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden. Now is the time for all of us, however, to be patient, and give our new President time to start cleaning up the mess left by the entire GOP. We must be patient but I know in my heart that this is the President who will get the job done and do it right. Thank God this election is over and Gov. Palin can go back to Alaska and do what ever she does. At least it won't be in the oval office. YES WE CAN . IT IS AN HONOR TO CALL BARACK OBAMA MR. PRESIDENT.

November 5, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  13. Barack Wins but America Loses

United States of being patriotic and unselfish. Everyone have a garage sale and take your money and mail it to Pennsylvania Avenue to show your adoration of the agent of change, the change we need, the change in our net worth so that none of us will have any as we will begin to lose jobs and freedoms under out new dictatorship of the law according to the Messiah Barack.

Barack I am sure you will make Lenin and Marx brought in the next four years.

November 5, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  14. Liz F

I'm wondering if this comment will be lost "in moderation".
    I, for one, am glad Obama won.
    I am willing to work hard for the benefit of the whole. I want a better country for my kids and grandkids.
    Now, that being said, I have been reading the comments above, and I am amazed at the hatred, bigotry and racism coming from the republicans – who had 8 years to make something of a president/country, but what happened? Nothing.
    This may point towards an outgoing president who lacked the intellectual fortitude needed at these challenging times.
    Sorry. The guy just doesn't have much going on in the gray matter, or at least he didn't put himself in front fo american people as intelligent. And, this was not a "handler issue"; Bush could at any time make a break with his own status quo and shown us something different. He did not.
    Instead, the American people took matters into their own hands and elected someone intelligent enough to thoughtfully understand the issues we face – and intelligently work to do something about it.
    For those of you who spent all night praying to God that McCain would win, that God would make the best choice for America: I ask you –
    1. did your God 'fail' you?
    2. do you really believe, now that your candidate has lost, that God 'chose' the best person for the job at this time?
    3. or, do you defy God; rail against his 'choice' and do everything to undermine our new president?
    4. and, if you do try to undermine Obama, isn't that going against 'God' – and how do you explain that?
    I believe that the christain right has lost the basic concept of God, but that's another post.
    I just want to know, now that the election outcome has been determined, how do you feel about your God now?
    Frankly, I don't think God had anything to do with the election.
    The American people, though, did.

November 5, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  15. Betty

Obama is going to disappoint all of you that voted for him. He is a empty suit with just words and you all fell for it. Enjoy your 4 years of higher taxes and liberal policies.

November 5, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  16. Lor

Re: Andy @ 10:59, You are a great example of what has gone wrong in this country! A "terrorist" is one who incites TERROR...which is exactly what you are doing, so don't give us your crap about "real Americans", because you definitely aren't a real American!!! How dare you insinuate that Obama supporters support Bin Laden!! It is the scum of the Earth, like you, that harm our country and all it stands for!! Take your conspiracy theories and leave. America has no time for the likes of you!!

November 5, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  17. Sue

HD TV sales and a boost in consumer confidence will help solve this mysterious economic problem, simply because the looming threat of a continued Bush Presidency will no longer be over our heads. I am so proud of Obama supporters! Let's keep the ball rolling!!

November 5, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  18. EW

Definition: vitriol – a highly corrosive acid made from sulfur dioxide

People claiming that conservatives are 'spewing vitriol' and are hate mongers, racist, and conservatives calling people godless, liars, socialist, communist etc are what is dividing this country. Its always the same with liberals or democrats or whatever you would prefer to be called. If someone doesn't agree with you, you resort to name calling and blame shifting. With republicans or conservatives you try to push your 'morals' and religious beliefs on everyone.

I am not a democrat, liberal, republican or conservative. I am an American and I am tired of the constant disregard for the most important document in the world by both parties. The US Constitution.

November 5, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  19. Sarah, Springfield IL

Seeing that the dems have run congress now for 2 years, any problems cannot be blamed on the republicans.

You have the tri-fector see that you use it wisely and I agree with the blogger who said that at the very least President Bush has kept this country safe; so, if we are hit by terriorists again (according to Biden 6 months we will have some kind of crisis) Bush cannot be blamed.

November 5, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |