November 5th, 2008

GOP wins back DeLay's seat

NEW YORK (CNN) - "The Hammer" is surely smiling.

Former Republican House Majority Leader Tom DeLay's old House seat is back in Republican hands.

In Texas' District 22, Democratic Rep. Nicholas Lampson has lost to Republican Pete Olson, a Navy veteran.

Lampson won the seat in 2006 after DeLay resigned under a cloud of scandal. He was known as "The Hammer" for being able to enforce party discipline when it came to getting House Republicans to vote. DeLay held the seat for two decades.

Filed under: 2008 Election • Tom DeLay
  1. Brenton Thompson

It's a sad day that this district had returned to the Republican Party even after the tremendous work Rep. Nick Lampson did on it's behalf.

November 5, 2008 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  2. Big Tent

Independents and Republicans, welcome to the Big Tent, not just the Democratic Party, but OUR COUNTRY!

November 5, 2008 02:45 am at 2:45 am |
  3. Former Republican inTX ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well that stinks. Lampson should have won that race. What the heck happened????

November 5, 2008 02:51 am at 2:51 am |
  4. Mary Holcomb

God help our country. I am looking forward to the 2010 Election and am ready to work for every Republican who needs me.

I know many "elite" felt they did not have a president these last 8 years. I did not feel I had a president when Clinton was in there. This is sad. I remember the days when I really did not care who was president. I was a registered Democrat until the 80's when I learned the Democrats had such a low respect for human life. I am not a rich Republican. My husband and I live on social security. But I am one who respects the life of the unborn child.

November 5, 2008 02:52 am at 2:52 am |
  5. Aaron

Pete Olson seems to be a good man. He says he will co-sponsor the FairTax legislation and now more than ever it's needed.

November 5, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  6. Jason

Crap

November 5, 2008 02:56 am at 2:56 am |
  7. Tina

I was so disappeared that Obama is elected as president of the U.S. He has no experience compare to Senator McCain. I can't accept the fact that Obama is elected.

November 5, 2008 03:27 am at 3:27 am |
  8. Rob

NOOOOOOOOOOO! Stay away DeLay!

November 5, 2008 03:37 am at 3:37 am |
  9. J.V.Hodgson

Good ole Bush Republicans and Texans, Gunslingers, Evangelicals,
    Oil magnates ( its running out guys) just like Mccain do not get the national or Global crisis America faces
    Never mind they will have to live with thier mistake and say thanks reluctantly of course when 85% of texans are better off than now!
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

November 5, 2008 04:08 am at 4:08 am |
  10. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

... and the GOP in Alaska may be electing Uncle Ted – the convicted felon!

There is no accounting for taste. So much for "values voters" ! I guess that ethics and obeying the law aren't the values Republicans agree with!

November 5, 2008 04:41 am at 4:41 am |
  11. RALPH

Hogson,
    Get a life, this is America. The essence of representative democracy is for the electorate to be able to choose their reprentatives without some idiot in another state criticizing who they choose.
    Ralph

November 5, 2008 04:48 am at 4:48 am |
  12. John Keatts

At least something good came from the Election of 08.

November 5, 2008 04:53 am at 4:53 am |
  13. Anonymous

this election proves that race is not the issue,we are all americans in the same stew pot.lets get on in proving we are the best and blessed country in the world.GOD BLESS AMERICA AND WHAT WE STAND FOR

AMEM,AMEN AND AMEN

November 5, 2008 05:24 am at 5:24 am |
  14. donna

This is where they belong,in TEXAS, all the crooks who almost destoryed our Nation because of their GREED and SPENDING , they can all move to Crawford, Tx.... I pray to GOD that the republicans are NEVER EVER allowed to gain control of anything again other than themselves, our nation couldnt handle any more of the Republican's sex scandals, bribery or their mismanagement of our nations affairs ...
    Thanks GOODNESS for the Democrats .......

November 5, 2008 05:30 am at 5:30 am |
  15. W. Pickett

Dear J.V. Hodgson. It's amazing how "Evangelicals" or "Texans" are considered evil by you. In 4 years, I want you to think back to today, and realize in shame, that you like 54% of the US public, Sold their souls to the devil. I don't live in Texas, and I am not a "Evangelical", but I do believe in God, and your hatred for me just affirms that you are just as bigoted as a KKK member. Your beloved choice for president is only there for 2 reasons. By going back on his word and using "private" funding to buy the presidency, and because of his color. If he were somehow turned into a "non hispanic white person" but with his identical values, and desires, he would have never made it out of the starting gate. But the Democratic Party realized his ethnic background was worth 10-15% in automatic acceptance among minorities. So Mr. Obama's desire to do or say anything to achieve the presidency, combined with that "free vote %" = our next president.

November 5, 2008 05:34 am at 5:34 am |
  16. donna

Last night I was never more proud of my country and its citizens as I was watching Senator Obama become our next PRESIDENT … We have come a long way, and I am proud of everyone, and so proud to be an American, for the past 8 years the Bush Administration has made me ashamed of our leaders… We still have a ways to go, but everyone in the WORLD could see our progress last night …..And I am proud to be an American ………….
    Thanks so much

November 5, 2008 06:01 am at 6:01 am |
  17. night clerk

he will hold it for one term then when the 2010 census comes in the district willl be gerrymandered out of his controll as will many others across america and with a democratic house and senate it will be brutal and complete controll for a generation.

November 5, 2008 06:22 am at 6:22 am |
  18. DannyCali

Anyway it still cowboy and bad President.

November 5, 2008 06:25 am at 6:25 am |
  19. JIM...TX

Not good news for Texans overall but since a lot of people are connected to the oil industry for better or worse not unexpected :(

November 5, 2008 06:35 am at 6:35 am |
  20. Dave from Menifee

The nation change except for Texas.

November 5, 2008 06:42 am at 6:42 am |
  21. blaising

Sad...VERY sad.

November 5, 2008 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  22. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Personal to "night clerk":

Just like the crap we've had to endure the last 8 years, or are you under the impression that everything is hunky-dorey?!

November 5, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |