November 5th, 2008

Obama likely to stay out of view Wednesday

He's headed out of sight for a little while.
He's headed out of sight for a little while.

(CNN) - After a nearly two-year campaign for the White House, Barack Obama is likely to spend his first day as president-elect out of view from the public.

He will not hold a press conference, campaign aides told CNN, though he is expected to hold one by the end of the week. Obama had joked with reporters earlier this week he would talk to them on Wednesday, though aides quickly said that was not likely.

Instead, Obama will meet with key advisors and begin making decisions about his transition team, including who will serve as his White House chief of staff. Reports say Obama is close to naming Illinois Rep. Rahm Emanuel to that post, but that has not been confirmed.

UPDATE: According to the pool report, Obama appears to be staying away from cameras. A scheduled photo-op with his family did not happen, and the president-elect did not take his daughters to school, as Obama aides had suggested he would.

He was spotted making a trip to the gym, and he briefly waved to reporters as his car went by.

1. Gobama

It was a land slide!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Obama has a mandate for change!!!!!!!!!!
    YES WE CAN!

November 5, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  2. THE US OF WHAT?

He needs a break, this was a long campaign. McCain to they both grinded this thing out to the very end.

November 5, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  3. Greg

How did Obama win?
    By all the campaigning from the leftist media.

November 5, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  4. ANGIE

I think you should take a little break President Obama,Spend some time with your Family, Rest you are gonna need it to clean up The Mess Bush has Made! OH HAPPY DAY!!!!!!!!!! PRESIDENT BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA

November 5, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  5. The Cosmos Rocks

»VICTORY!VICTORY!V...VICTORY!=HURRAH!HURRAH! YES!

November 5, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  6. KJL

The Obama family has a funeral to plan. Their privacy should be respected.

November 5, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  7. Gary

Don't worry about us for a few days Mr President, go say goodbye to your Grandmother.
    We will wait for you.

November 5, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  8. Kona

America,
    Let's give our President Elect and his family a moment to rest and catch their collective breath. They've earned it.

God bless you sir, and I look forward to more of your leadership.

Kona

November 5, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  9. Hopeful for Tomorrow

This was an important victory for Obama/Biden and he does need to focus on his transition, so I'm glad to hear this. Staff shouldn't be appointed by who he shares beers or goes hunting with. I hope we end up with a very qualified cabinet.

November 5, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  10. Patricia in Las Vegas

President Obama! I am so proud!!!!!

November 5, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  11. ines

An AMAZING race, Obama! Job very well done.

He deserves a day off. Isn't his Grandmother's funeral today?

November 5, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  12. Stacy from Loudoun County VA

President Elect Obama (wow that is great to say!) now the real work begins. I figure he's going to be real busy. Unlike any other transition team in history, he's not going to have much time. I do think he has pre-thought about some of the transition team already and now he is getting that team in place. I suspect a lot of late nights...

November 5, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  13. meme

The man deserves a break. A BIG break! He needs to take it all in for a day or so, maybe a week. I'm speechless... I can't believe it... CONGRATULATIONS America you have come so far..

November 5, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  14. Sea

I'm truly happy; I feel such a great sense of Pride that I can't explain... Thank you America.

For the negative people that aren't happy their MAN didn’t win...That’s fine, but please stops trying to give US reasons why he won’t succeed. Because if for some reason in 4 years he can only change 1 thing... that’s 1 thing better then 8 years of what Bush has done for us.

"And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn – I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and I will be your President too" – President Obama!

November 5, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  15. Dawn from Ada, Ohio

Let us not forget he is still in mourning and needs to spend time with his family and friends to heal!!! Peace be to you President Obama during the loss of your Wonderful Grandmother

November 5, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  16. Candace

President Obama and Family deserve a vacation. Of course, he also has to take time to mourn the loss of his grandmother and attend the funeral. This victory is bitter sweet, but I'm behind him to continue my civic duty in America. TODAY, I am definitely proud to be an American!

November 5, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  17. James

As a small business owner with 37 employees, I am planning on a quick cut of at least 25% of the staff to curtail the additional taxes my company will be burdened with under a complete Democratic rule in all 3 houses (White House, Congress & Senate). Along with the staff cut, we are going to raise our prices to our clients effective January 1, 2009.

It's a shame that a few people in Congress such as Murtha & Pelosi have caused small business owners such as myself to go to these drastic steps, but we must survive, even if that means we have to cut staff, who most likely will have a hard time finding comparable work elsewhere.

Hopefully the Democrats will reconsider their attempt to "kill off" the small business owner, but until then, I, along with tens of thousands of other small businesses around the country will be taking the sad, but necessary steps to ensure our survival.

November 5, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  18. Sam

Congratulations on this wonderful win! The way you ran your campaign is for the text books of future generations. Congrats to all those who participated. I'll be praying for your success, welfare and safety.

November 5, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  19. wade blackburn

I am curious why people refer to president Obama as african american when he has a parent who is white and a parent who is black. I personally voted for Obama, but I still understand how he is being considered black versus white. Is he not bi-racial? How is ones race chosen when you have parents of two different ethnic back grounds? No one seems to be able to answer this question, maybe you can shed some light onto the issue.

thanks

November 5, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  20. Mary Garrett

Today is a day filled with joy and hope for all Americans! I, personally, will go through a withdrawal of sorts until I catch a glimpse of our next president, Barak Obama, once again!

I know he needs some rest, although, I believe in my heart that rest is the last thing on his mind this morning!

Have a nice day, Obama's!!!

Mary
    Illinois

November 5, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  21. Dawn

Yeah my State stayed blue...I voted for him; I hope he can deliver what he said on the stump. I do wish him well as the 44th President of the United States...

Best of Luck to President and Vice President elect Barack Obama and Joe Biden

November 5, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  22. Bit

Good morning, MR. PRESIDENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 5, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  23. Kevin

Take a breath, keep your head down, and focus on the road ahead.

November 5, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  24. SB in NoVa

WAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That's right USA, we're back on track! Democracy at it's finest, with the finest Democrat!

OBAMA/BIDEN 08 AND BEYOND!

VIRGINIA IS BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 5, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  25. Saad from NJ

This is indeed a marvelous moment. It has nothing, and I repeat absolutely nothing to do with President Obama being black – it has everything to do with 'hope'. Hope for a better future for our country and the world – something that we had started losing in the last 8 years.

God Bless.