November 5th, 2008

Obama likely to stay out of view Wednesday

He's headed out of sight for a little while.
He's headed out of sight for a little while.

(CNN) - After a nearly two-year campaign for the White House, Barack Obama is likely to spend his first day as president-elect out of view from the public.

He will not hold a press conference, campaign aides told CNN, though he is expected to hold one by the end of the week. Obama had joked with reporters earlier this week he would talk to them on Wednesday, though aides quickly said that was not likely.

Instead, Obama will meet with key advisors and begin making decisions about his transition team, including who will serve as his White House chief of staff. Reports say Obama is close to naming Illinois Rep. Rahm Emanuel to that post, but that has not been confirmed.

UPDATE: According to the pool report, Obama appears to be staying away from cameras. A scheduled photo-op with his family did not happen, and the president-elect did not take his daughters to school, as Obama aides had suggested he would.

He was spotted making a trip to the gym, and he briefly waved to reporters as his car went by.

1. JM

Thank you, President Obama, for your faithfulness, courage, hope, and ability to see the change we need for a brighter future!

After eight long years of yearning for might have been, but could never be under the "administration of fear," we now have the ADMINISTRATION OF HOPE AND LEADERSHIP FOR A NEW TOMORROW!

Bring it on!! Tell us what you want us to do!! We are Americans, and it's time that we remembered that we are UNITED into one country, one people!

We can now finally realize that!! The first thing I did last night was to pray to our God to thank him for sending us a leader like you, one who REALLY cares about his people!

And now, to you, the PEOPLE OF AMERICA, let's forget the bickering, the last eight years, and the depression that has come upon us!!

Look to the future!! Work together for a better country, and for our "better selves."!!

We again can be a great country–the leading country in the world. But not by aggression and fear, but by TRUE LEADERSHIP!

GO OBAMA/BIDEN!

November 5, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  2. Jeffer65

Obama probably wants to mourn his grandmother. I imagine they have not had the funeral yet.
    Hopefully the dark days of the Neo-cons are over. I wonder how much closer the election would have been if Bush wasn't such a bad president and had high approval ratings. Obama still would've won though.
    McCain did too many things wrong. Wrong VP pick, too much negative campaigning, no new ideas.
    Obama did everything right. Connected with all groups of people, used technology, stayed on his message and new ideas.

November 5, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  3. Obama saves the world

greg your an idiot plain and simple

November 5, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  4. Chris , delaware

This has been an exceptionally satisfying victory which followed an exceptional & historically brilliant campaign. Congratulations America. You have awaken.. Now roar !!!

November 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  5. missy

The Obama administration is going to rock. This is a very exciting time.

November 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  6. Geo Joe in ABQ

Out of public view but not resting. Now the hard work really begins. Last night John McCain gave the best speech of his whole campaign. We must all work together to solve the many problems facing our great country. If you didn't like the results from last night's election then quit whining and get down to work organizing a campaign to select a better president.

November 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  7. Scott

Never have I been so proud to be an American.

Congratulations Barack Obama and Joe Biden.

November 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  8. Trenese

Im an african american. I think its a huge victory for my race. years ago there were things my people couldn't do because of our race. now today we are fit to run the world. this is a huge change. malcolm x, martin luther king, and many other's would have loved this moment. its what they wanted. im proud.

November 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  9. Christine

I will do with Obama as I have done with George Bush these past eight years. Switch the TV off when he comes on. Obama is as radical as Bush, only on the other end.

November 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  10. Maureen

There is a buzz this morning that hasn't been heard in a very long time.
    I am very hopeful for this country. Best wishes to President-elect Barack Obama, Vice-President elect Joe Biden and their families.

November 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  11. Marietta

To APPS in Hawaii–sure, you're a "Moderate Democrat," and I'm the Queen of Sheba.
    As an Obama volunteer, I've never been prouder of my country, not even when I marched for Doctor King more than four decades ago.
    If McCain had won, I would have wept privately but publically supported him as my president. To all those who continue to post bitter and divisive comments, shame on you for not expressing your support for our President Elect. On the other hand, it's your ignorant and hateful rhetoric that put him in the White House, so for that, we thank you.
    GOD HAS SHED HIS GRACE ON AMERICA!

November 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  12. Betty

The only hope we have is it only last four years like Carter. I pray these four years go by fast!

November 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  13. offwallst

SO WHO WILL YOU BLAME NOW IN THE NEXT FOUR YEARS..WHEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG???????????

OH YES WE CAN PICK ON GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR WON OUT OVER THE COUNTRY!!

GOODBYE!!

November 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  14. Dan

The right wing has no end of right-leaning media: Fox, Limbaugh, Wash Times, WSJ, etc. Obama won because he had the better message. He will likely be a spectacular president. Right wingers: turn off the hate radio for a while. Drop the crazy conspiracy theories including the silly BS about Obama not being American. A significant majority of Americans have spoken: President Barack Obama.

November 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  15. Immigrant who couldn't vote

I could not vote as I am not a citizen yet, but if I could, I would vote for Obama. I am proud the American people have spoken loud and clear that it is time to realize the fact that the face of America is changing, America is not monochromatic...and it is time to heal American image in the world.

November 5, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  16. Mike from C-bus

Later haters!

Rock on fellow Dem's!

November 5, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  17. Bill - Voted in Springfield, GA

THE AMERICAN PEOPLE SPOKE AND WERE HEARD AND COUNTED!!
    OBAMA/BIDEN – YEAH!!!!

November 5, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  18. selz NJ

I recently became a new citizen and i was soooo fortunate enough to vote. That man deserved to win, when i look at Barack OBAMA i see an inteligent, humble, good herated person.... He is going to excel at what he does...

I voted for him beacase i believed in his words & his sincierety.

November 5, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  19. Will in Carson City

My wife and I were both crying last night. Not tears of joy, mind you, but tears of sadness and fear. Sure, it's a huge thing in this country to have an African-American voted as president (well, 1/2 AA). Anybody that says it's not is lying to you. Neither of us could sleep because we're scared of what this guy could possibly do. Does he even know how to do half the things he said he's going to do, or did he just say it to get elected? Is he going to truly reach out across the aisle, or is he going to keep his "most liberal" title? I fear for this country....

November 5, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  20. Barb

To our neighbors to the south, from all of us in Canada.......THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!

November 5, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  21. v

Congrats Obama! I think that all AMERICANS should come together and put their differences aside and do everthing we can to get our selves out of the mess that Bush left us (and is still doing things to make it even more harder for the next President).

We can climb out of the BIG hole if everyone will stop the fighting and think of thing we can do to help. Don't expect instant gratification. This will take awhile.

Everyone needs to get out of the ME sendrome and start thinking about the whole nation.

November 5, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  22. CA Indie for Obama

Ditto Eric the Student re: greg, but it is "immaturity"

Andy, I voted Obama, but like you, I take the path of "be careful what you wish for" because there are no guarantees. I believe based on O's proposals, policy stances and calm demeanor, he was the better of the two candidates. Many people will have to get weaned off the fear tactics and cynicism of the bush admin.

Debbie, al Queda made a statement several weeks ago stating a McCain admin would be best for al Queda because he would continue bush policies that made it easier for them to accomplish their goals. Sounded like they wanted McCain.

As happy (and cautiously optimistic) I am on the Obama victory, there is much left to do and that work starts today. As a nation, we should be proud of the largest turnout in recent history, but many countries around the world have turnouts in the 90% or more range. I think John McCain recaptured some of his lost honor with his concession speech by calling for the entire nation to work together. Since both candidates have now asked for the nation to start healing itself, I can only hope both get their wish for all of ours' sake.

November 5, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  23. M.Moss

Love it or Hate it...Obama won! This is great, not just for African Americans, but for ALL AMERICANS!!!...For all you McCain supporters, we are all Americans so stop the booing... the election is over. Lets all come together as one and support our new president and get our country back on the right track.

Congrats Obama!!!

November 5, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  24. Observer in NY

And stay out of vIew he should. He has earned the right to .

November 5, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  25. Keith

Why does the media keep calling him the first African-American President, when he's only half black. He's not the first African-American President. He's the first mixed race president.

November 5, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |