November 5th, 2008

Obama likely to stay out of view Wednesday

He's headed out of sight for a little while.
He's headed out of sight for a little while.

(CNN) - After a nearly two-year campaign for the White House, Barack Obama is likely to spend his first day as president-elect out of view from the public.

He will not hold a press conference, campaign aides told CNN, though he is expected to hold one by the end of the week. Obama had joked with reporters earlier this week he would talk to them on Wednesday, though aides quickly said that was not likely.

Instead, Obama will meet with key advisors and begin making decisions about his transition team, including who will serve as his White House chief of staff. Reports say Obama is close to naming Illinois Rep. Rahm Emanuel to that post, but that has not been confirmed.

UPDATE: According to the pool report, Obama appears to be staying away from cameras. A scheduled photo-op with his family did not happen, and the president-elect did not take his daughters to school, as Obama aides had suggested he would.

He was spotted making a trip to the gym, and he briefly waved to reporters as his car went by.

1. Juanita Moore

Andy – he obviously does not have any secrets. The McCain camp tried every trick in the book to find something on PRESIDENT ELECT Barack Obama for the last two years, but could not. It is time for the Republican party to put aside their differences and accept the fact that the better man won. I know the thought of having an articulate, educated, charismatic and handsome African American frightens you, but if you took the time to look around, you would recognize the fact that we are all around you. This is only the beginning. You better get on board on be left behind.

November 5, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  2. Mariea from Philly

So proud our diverse country!
    We have to be one people, no matter what your political party is.

For united we stand.
    Divided we fall.
    And if our backs should ever be against the wall....
    we'll be together, together , you and I.

November 5, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  3. Iraqi Freedom Veteran

GOBAMA!!!! I finally feel that the America I was willing to die for represents us all. I'm utterly speechless and so proud to know that YES WE CAN do this together!! So in love with the USA!

November 5, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  4. OBAMA SUPPORTER IN IOWA

Is anyone taking heat at work today because Obama won? I am and it's kind of scary. I can't understand how people live with hatred in their hearts.

November 5, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  5. Joanna

Get some rest President Obama, we have a lot of work to do.

November 5, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  6. kimberly

Hail Obama the President -Elect of the USA.
    He will make the USA Great again.
    Lots of love from Jamaica ,West Indies. I have hope that children of Jamaican Heritage can one today become the President of the United States of America.

November 5, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  7. insurmountable

God has spoken. NOBODY CAN UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF GOD. It is not OBAMA but God through OBAMA. It is that time.

November 5, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  8. Christian

I am glad that Obama won; however, it was a bitter sweet moment. Being African American, it is very exciting to see our first black presdient as it shows how far America has come. The thing that I am disappointed in is that not once in his victory speech did he give thanks to God. The only time God was mentioned in the speech was when he said God Bless you all and God Bless America. He never gave thanks to the Creator and for him to be a "Christian" is kind of scary... to me at least. Most Christians give thanks to God first for their accomplishments because all glory and honor belongs to Him. So after hearing his acceptance speech, I kind of got this eerie feeling as though we may have made a mistake but I'll just keep praying that Obama will seek God to order his steps and not become so high on himself now that he has gotten what he wanted.

November 5, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  9. afam

ANDY GET A CLUE. NO ONE CARES ABOUT HIS PAST. HE IS OUR PRESIDENT. GET OVER IT. I AM NOT SURPRISED THAT PEOPLE TAHT HATE HIM STILL HATING HIM JUST LIKE SEAN HANNITY. I AM WILLING TO BET THAT SEAN HANNITY, LAURA INGRAM DONT HATE OBAMA BECAUSE OF HIS POLICIES BUT JUST HATE THE MAN. THAT IS SAD AND DISGUSTING.

November 5, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  10. Anonymous

It really amazes me that there are still people out there with fears. Every President we've had has secrets!! What you're going to find out that you don't already know is he has nerves of steel. He's a perfect combination of races. The mental strength of an African warrior from his father and the beauty and brillance of his White mother.
    The Republican party just does not represent the picture of modern America. When I looked in his eyes as he spoke last night I saw pure steel.

November 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  11. Dduellman

After this, he deserves a nice long nap.

November 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  12. joe

I would be happy and content had the press not been so divisive in handing th election to Obama. I do not have a problem with the man himself – I only think it would have been fair had he been given at least 1 tough interview – I wish him well but if things go down hill I blame the press 100% for anything that goes wrong.

As for the fairness doctrine I hope that means that they will add equality to the NY Times, CBS, NBC and ABC

November 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  13. Steve in Arizona

Oh, this is priceless. Have you heard the whinning from the McCain supporters. Obama won because of the leftist media. Obama won because the people were swayed by his rhetoric, blah, blah, blah.

This is the real reason why Obama won; McCain ran a hateful race, had a totally incompetent VP pick, and the country has been brought to the brink of collapse from 8 years of Republican rule.

End of sentence. Get over it, Obama won fair and square. The people have spoken.

November 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  14. Katrina

HE DID IT!! WE DID IT!! America stood up united and we got our country back! I cried tears of joy!! THANK YOU TO MY FELLOW AMERICANS FOR COMING TOGETHER AND ANSWERING THE CALL!!! PRESIDENT OBAMA!!!!!!!!

November 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  15. Ted van Tol

What a joyfull day. My (Dutch) flag hangs in top!
    We all are very happy with your new President.
    Finaly we can see America as a great nation and
    word leading country again.
    4 Years ago on the Dutch TV I heard Barack speaking
    at the DNC and I told my wife, "I think a have seen the first black
    American President". My dream came out today.
    But also, I can not be happy alone, I am scared
    for his safety. Please America keep you new
    President safe. He has so much to offer to your
    country and to the whole world.

With love from the Netherlands
    And CNN I dont accept moderation this time!

November 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  16. Susie

While this is a memorable event, Americans just elected someone who is not known at all! This is very scary. I think I'm going to quit work and wait for my welfare check!!!!!!!!!!!! After all, isn't that what Obama and his government are for????? I don't want to pay those high energy bills from MY paycheck; let the government do it for me!!!

November 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  17. Jn

I am from Kenya, the land where Obamas father was born. Americans have made the world proud. Congratulations President Obama, Congratulations Americans, Congratulations America! Nyiha, Kenya

November 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  18. Barack is hot

There was so much love in the air last night and I hope it continues. Barack Obama worked his butt off and thank God it paid off!! He is such a great inspiration and I am so glad he is now THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!!!

November 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  19. Rita - Canada

To Andy
    McCain has already tried to find dirt on Obama and could find no secrets.
    Congratulations to President Elect Obama. I am so happy for the USA. I believe that God has sent this man to unite the world after the turmoil we are all in now. Anything that happens to the U.S. also happens to us here in Canada.
    Please Republicans, do not show your hatred. Give this guy a chance to prove that he can change the world with all of you helping. He is a good man.
    Please post this one CNN. Thank you

November 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  20. An Airforce Wife

I'm a Republican who voted for McCain. I'm disappointed that he did not win, but I'm not going to sit around and mope, but neither should the Democrats gloat. America has spoken, and Obama will be our next President. It is time to stop blaming each other and work together. McCain and Obama both said last night that we are not just Democrats and Republicans, we are Americans. There is a long, hard road ahead for our country. It’s time we start that journey and begin the rebuilding process.

November 5, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  21. rich

He has earned the right to take a brief break away from the spotlight to rest, reflect, and put his cabinet together. It will be a hard slog ahead, and he will need all the energy he can muster. But I am confindent he will do America good.

November 5, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  22. Proud Christian American

I have never been more proud to be awaken by God this morning as an American! Especially a Black American! I pray that God will watch over the Obama family and place His loving hand of protection over them as well as the Biden family. We've come very far and I am proud of everyone that was willing to step outside the norm and see Obama as the great leader he is and will be! God Bless America and all its beautiful people, even those who who still have hatred in their hearts. What a GREAT NATION we have!!!

November 5, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  23. Bill, PA

What's going to happen to this country when the Supreme Court rules that Obama cannot be president because he is not a U.S. citizen?

November 5, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  24. Me

Democrats are well known for cutting the military back. This weakens the country not strengthen it. Many jobs will be lost for the faulty thought of saving on the budget. Credit is the real problem with this country. If everyone lived WITHIN their means then everyone would be better off. Getting into debt then squelching on that debt is the reason things are bad off. Companies are laying off because they are in heavy debt, instead of producing only what is needed they overproduce and cut their own necks. As a result our jobs in the process. The president can never change or affect this. The president is an almost powerless trophy title. We have to change our own selfish desires. Live within our means, will mean never going into debt. Yes, you wont have everything everyone else has, but that doesnt mean your life is worth any less. It just means you'll have to wait for what you want instead of getting that selfish instant gratification from credit.

November 5, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  25. cevans, tx

A new day is dawning!! Thank you people of America for the CHANGE!!
    May God bless each and every one of you this day and always. You all have given our Country, the World, my children, your children and their children HOPE for a better day. It is not about black or white, yellow or brown, it is about the goodness and fairness intended for this nation as a whole. We have overcome!!

GOD BLESS YOU AND GOD AMERICA!!!

November 5, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |