November 5th, 2008

Obama likely to stay out of view Wednesday

He's headed out of sight for a little while.
He's headed out of sight for a little while.

(CNN) - After a nearly two-year campaign for the White House, Barack Obama is likely to spend his first day as president-elect out of view from the public.

He will not hold a press conference, campaign aides told CNN, though he is expected to hold one by the end of the week. Obama had joked with reporters earlier this week he would talk to them on Wednesday, though aides quickly said that was not likely.

Instead, Obama will meet with key advisors and begin making decisions about his transition team, including who will serve as his White House chief of staff. Reports say Obama is close to naming Illinois Rep. Rahm Emanuel to that post, but that has not been confirmed.

UPDATE: According to the pool report, Obama appears to be staying away from cameras. A scheduled photo-op with his family did not happen, and the president-elect did not take his daughters to school, as Obama aides had suggested he would.

He was spotted making a trip to the gym, and he briefly waved to reporters as his car went by.

1. Marilyn, Powell, OH, 68 yr old white woman

I was SO proud of America as I watched the crowd during President-elect Obama give his speech in Chicago. Senator McCain's gracious concession speech was tainted when his supporters booed at the mention of the names of Barack Obama and Joe Biden (and Governor Palin laughed) – how telling this was, especially when Obama supporters applauded when Obama talked about Senator John McCain. I pray that a President Obama can soften the hearts of so many and we can be Americans together. If Obama runs this country as well as his campaign, we'll be fine but it will take time to undo the mess we're in now.

November 5, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  2. Anonymous

Let's not let Greg take away the joy of this day. He is the poster child of why change is needed in this country. He obviously ddn't watch either of McCain or Obamas speeches last night and is not willing to work together as a country to save our country and get us out of the mess we are in.

November 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  3. Dawn Lancaster

I feel like dancing :)

November 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  4. Betty

Reading all these Blogs I am amazed how stupid america can be. THIS IS THE SADEST day in our history. He is going to screw up the economy. There is no unity here. I will never refer to him as my president he is your president.

November 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  5. Pucker up

All you sore losers and sour grape ppl, pucker up. Change is here and it is here to stay.

November 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  6. Religeous Redneck Clinging to Faith & Guns

I hope all of the Bolshevics at your communist news network are gloating.
    How does it feel to destroy a nation?
    Don't even think your wealth will insulate you from the comming holocaust. I can fully identify how the Jewish people of Europe must have felt when Hitler & the Nazis came to power, or mabe more accurately , how many Russians must have felt when their nation was taken over by the bolshevics. Flags should be flown at half mast to mourn the death of America. All the men and women who have given their lives in defense of this nation and our way of life, have died in vain.
    Our nation , as predicted by many, was taken over from within.
    Our enemies have defeated us without firing a shot.
    We have been decieved by the biggest most total propaganda blitz in the history of this earth. Thanks CNN for doing your part.
    I'll see you all in hell.

November 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  7. InTx

And I for one know that when I meet my maker, I will be able to stand and say to him I DID NOT vote for a someone who has his stance on abortion. Glad I wont have to see you all in heaven, you wont be there!

November 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  8. Melissa

People are treating this election as if it were a victory (or loss) for their favorite football team. I agree with those who said lets come together and make decisions. Obama will do what he thinks needs to be done to correct the MANY wrongs in this country, but I also believe that he will listen to people and pull ideas from every walk of life around this nation. Change has ALREADY happened, as this is a great victory for our nation, and frankly, for the world. We didn't need another 4 years of the same. We don't need any more dirty politics. We don't need more of a war that isn't necessary. We need to stop the trend of the rich getting richer and the poor growing at an alarming rate. All plans, whether Dem or Repub, are going to cost money. But it may take money to make money in the long run, and with the rest of the world on board with a President they also approve of, things are bound to get better. Here, and everywhere.

November 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  9. Law35

For people like Andy, Lovey, Greg and Debbie, change is here and despite what you may think or feel, an Obama Presidency will be better for your families. The American people have spoken. President Barack Obama has unified our country and the world. Despite some of the negative comments from the few, the overall electorate has spoken and we chose Unity vs Hatefulness and Divisiveness. Say what you will, this is a defining moment in history.
    Congratulations President Barack Obama!!! and Congratulations to the United States of America

November 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  10. Jennifer

I think I will move my family to Canada for the next 4 years.

November 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  11. Ky Vet

Welcome to the Obama show. Where have you been the past 8 years. George Bush and Dick Cheaney are the epitome of corruption. You have been paying record prices for gasoline because of their greed. Haliburton (Cheaney's company) has received billions of dollars in contracts to rebuild a country (Iraq) that we destroyed for oil. Now they are making billions in oil profits as well. They recenlty moved their operations to the Middle-East because that is where their customer base is...another lie. Americans are their biggest consumers. They moved to avoid paying their fair share of taxes. Do you really want to talk about corruption, cheating, and lies? Talk to Senator Stevens the republican from Alaska. He is the tip of the iceberg. You hate mongering fear, spreading, so-called patriots are a disgrace to the Red, White and Blue symbol of freedom that this white man from Kentucky served under. I think the president-elect at least deserves a chance. By the way, the KKK is a terriost organization. My uncle was a grand dragon and I know the kind of stuff they got away with. Time for change.

November 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  12. Biker Billy

WHY is it taking so long for that mongoloid George W. to congratulate Obama ?

November 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  13. Gidget goes back to Alaska

@Christian November 5th, 2008 10:09 am ET

One one his duties is to remain secular. I am Christian and Black and you must understand the seperation of Church and state. You almost sound like a Republician that refuse to believe in freedoms...like RELIGION. I am a devout Christian but this not the united states of Christianity. The beauty of this Country and God himself, is that you have the choice not to believe in him. Please take this as food for thought.

14. afam

FOR THOSE YOU COUNTING TO HATE ON HIM. I HAVE ONE WORD FOR YOU. PRESIDENT. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO UNITE. GO HOME AND STAY OUT. I LIKE WHAT JOHN MCAIN DID. I APPLUAD HIM. GOOD MAN. HE SHOWED WAY I LIKED HIM EVEN THOUGH I AM A DEMOCRAT. HIS CROWD WAS RUDE. FILLED WITH HATE. THIS IS THE SAME CROWD THAT CALLED HIM A TERRORIST WHY AM I SURPRISED. JOHN MCAIN HANDLED IT NICE. MAD PROPS.

15. Rebekah

The long nightmare is over.

16. Jay the Janitor

Congratulation Obama!

I'm still in shock to see so many republicans mad at the results. You guys need to wake up and realized this is a new America. Get over it and join the new force.

17. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

A battle well fought; now Obama will get ready for the "WAR."

18. ?

November 5th, 2008 9:49 am ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Thank you America for bringing hope and light to this world once more
    Best wishes to President-elect Obama and his Family

19. Elle

America we did it. I knew we would.

This is another moment in history where we have given ourselves what we need even if we don’t understand that we need it or deserve it. The forces of our basic survival instincts have come together to deliver us from something that we glimpse with our subconscious but don’t quite fully see with our minds. Barack is the right man for this time. He is going to need our love, prayers and support. Like another obscure Senator from Illinois who became our most compelling President, I sense a practical, thoughtful, somberness to the new redeemer of our fragile democracy. He knows what is before him and the personal sacrifice that he is about to make for us. We are in uncharted waters. I don’t know “why?”; but for some reason, I believe a great peace is before us. As my mother would say, "a laying down of swords". I love you and may God continue to bless us all.

20. Claire

Where was Hannity or O'Reilly last night?? It was soooo great to see the sad faces of Fox News. And on the morning show this AM I saw they were having a little quorum about what Obama needs to do and what wil happen next . . . it looked like a pathetic neo-con therapy session. I sure hope they suck it up and support our President elect, the same thing they told us to do in 2000 and 2004.

21. Nate Indiana

I'm so excited to see what he will do in office. and what is up with greg?!

22. The Deb

I am so glad my 81 and 80 year old father and mother were alive to
    witness history in the making. I will be one of his soldiers to help unite these United States of America. For all you haters, get over it, we had to deal with Bush when he stole the election, now you have to deal with Obama. The only difference is Obama wants to unite us and Bush only wanted to help his rich friends. Go Middle America !!!!!!!

23. For Greg

Greg – tune into foxnews. You will find out exactly how he won..since you want some conspiracy theories, I am sure they will have ample info for you. CNN is not the place for you. Bye bye.

24. John D

I will not sit back and wait for President Obama to do anything. I will write to him and ask what it is I can do for my country. He has ask us all to take part in the building of a better future for our children and grandchildren. All of us need to take part in this. We are all Americans and we all raise the same flag today. We all say the same pledge to that flag. We are ONE NATION. Lets all pull up our boots and hold each others hands and work together for our country. For our people.For our future. God has blessed America now we need to use that blessing for hope not dispair. LOVE IS REAL

25. Sam - NYC

Well I would 1st like to address the comment by "Kim":

Obama DESERVES to have the SAME if not better inauguration as all past president elects regardless of the economy. He didn't put it this way, BUSH did! So, why should Obama be short changed???

As for the "Welcome to the Obama show":

Have you been living in the same America as the rest of us for the past 8 years??? Bush is the one who stole BOTH elections. As a result, look at the world now. If that is not called corruption then I don't know what is by YOUR standards. It's OK because it is so ironic that the two states that caused the election in 2000 and 2004, voted for Obama. God does not sleep and Mr. Bush will reap all his actions in coming months. Enough was enough and Obama was the chosen one to bring this country back around. Where is all the money Clinton left??? In an off shore account for Bush??? I wonder if that is why there is all this talk about the Ameros. Is it just a plot to cover up his dirty financial dealings??? Anyone who voted for John McCain seriously thinking he could run our country with his side kick Sara, to me is just plain racist. The better TEAM won and I am glad the American people finally woke up and took a stand for THEMSELVES. I believe a lot of other countries have a new found respect for Americans now. GOD BLESS AMERICA.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19